Menu

I BADLY need book suggestions!!

Twice in the last few weeks, I went into a bookstore and left with NOTHING.

Okay, not true. I left with stuff for my kids, and a mental list of non-fiction I'm interested in getting from the library, and a heaping dose of depression at not finding a new novel to knock my socks off.

I've been reading almost exclusively non-fiction for a few years (homeschool-mom research-mode, I think? :tongue_smilie: ). And I really want to read something FUN and ENTERTAINING. But time is so scarce these days, I'm scared of picking up a bad book and wasting the little free time I have.

Yes. I have paralyzing book-choosing fear.

Please save me. :lol:

I would love to hear your very best, most-favourite, couldn't-put-it-down fiction titles. Any genre! The best of literary escapism. Lay it on me! :D

I'm sure the wise and mighty Hive won't let me down! :bigear:

My top two light and easy picks for someone who hasn't read fiction in five years... :)

The Hunger Games, obviously. It's engaging, quick and easy to read - lots of action, some romance, some fashion, some issues to think about...

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is another quick and easy read - very sweet, very old-fashioned romance, very touching...

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is another quick and easy read - very sweet, very old-fashioned romance, very touching...

:iagree:

How about a classic mystery? The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins is EXCELLENT!

Game of Thrones, by George Martin (The series is called The Song of Ice and Fire It's pure escapism.

American Gods, by Neil Gaiman It's harder to explain that one, but it's an amazing read.

Johnathon Strange and Mr. Norrell, by Susanna Clarke. It's not an action packed book, but you enter a whole new world (in an alt-history kind of way).

There are so many books to read, and so little time. Happy reading, whatever you find.:001_smile:

Well I love mountain climbing which may be why this novelization of George Mallory's summit attempt of Everest was so appealing to me.

I got Killing Lincoln as a gift and was actually surprised by how much I liked it. It read like a novel.

Gosh- I think those are the only two pleasure reads I have done this year. Eek- that's sad.

I'll be listening in to this thread.

EDITED to add- I second someone's suggestion of

Some of my favorites:

The Brothers K by David James Duncan...

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger

Little Princes by Conor Grennan (non-fiction, but an amazing story and hard to put down)

The Glass Castle (a memoir by Jeannette Walls...very interesting and quirky)

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (again...non-fiction...but so good!!)

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

I recently read Winter Bloom. It's on the ' light' side, but with heavy topics (Nazi death camps, divorce, adoption, domestic abuse etc). As I read, I knew I was being played. Yet. It's about a blooming garden and love. It won't leave you depressed for days. It takes place in Ireland, and the author knows all the buttons to push. However, I didn't feel quite as manipulated as I did when I long ago read my first and only Jodi Picoult novel. ;)

Garden Spells is another book in this same vein, minus Nazis etc.

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett is undeniably one of the most entertaining books that I have ever read. I read *a lot*!

:iagree:

Some others to consider:

The Night Circus

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

Colony

The Remains of the Day

or any of the ones on my Goodreads Favorites shelf

ETA: Not all of them are 'fun & entertaining', as some are more serious. All are fabulous, though, imo.

One of my very favorite new series that is fun and full of mythology and fantastic nerdy stuff such as quotes from Princess Bride and Star Wars is called the Iron Druid by Kevin Hearne.

His character is Atticus Finch, a 2000 year old druid who runs a coffee/book shop in Arizona. I was drawn in quickly and this very morning the latest one was downloaded to my Kindle!!!

There are four of them now with the next due out in November.

For a fun, fast read, it doesn't get much more enjoyable than these.

:iagree: LOVED that one, and her other two novels as well.

I'm currently about 1/3 of the way into The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane and really enjoying it.

Ok I just picked up this from the library. Not very far into the book, but so far I like it! Thanks for that recommendation.

ABSOLUTE AND ALL-TIME FAVORITES

Harry Potter books

A Thousand Splendid Suns - this one, by far, is amongst one of the best books I have ever read

The Help

The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende and anything else by her, but this is her best. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Allende :D

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy .. but the first book is quite boring and confusing in the first 60-70 pages. Hang in there. It does get better! Yes, they are graphic. But I tend to look beyond that and just focus on the story

The Geography of Bliss – non-fiction, very insightful

Mindset – non-fiction, a book that one should read at least once – really gets you thinking

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea

OTHER BOOKS THAT I HAVE LOVED (not in any particular order)

The Five People You Meet in Heaven - if you're in the mood for a very, sweet and easy read - as are all of his books - Tuesdays with Morrie - and pretty much any other Mitch Albom book – we even got the DVDs of three of his books and really liked them

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg and most of her books - very sweet and light - and quite funny

Funny in Farsi - if you need a nice laugh as well as her other book Laughing without an Accent

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

The Secret Life of Bees

The Book Thief

Books by Maeve Binchy – light, fluffy, but also very accurate about human interactions and relationships

Outliers … and all Malcolm Gladwell books

Confessions of a Prairie B*tch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated – some painful stuff, very engaging, entertaining, lots of humor – loved this book - but more enjoyable if you liked the TV series

Middlesex – Jeffrey Eugenides

The Poisonwood Bible – Barbara Kingsolver

The Housekeeper and the Professor