Menu

S/O: Tipping

What do you do when the party you have gone to dinner with tips a ridiculously low amount?

Do you pay extra to make up for it? Do you just pay your amount and hope you set a good example?

The other night we went to dinner with friends. Their bill was over $40 and they left a $3 tip. I couldn't believe it.

Our bill was around $21 and I left a 20% tip. We had good service. There wasn't any complaint.

Dawn

I generally don't notice what others tip, but when we've been out with family or friends that tip bad we will make up for the amount. I generally leave it on our side of the table hoping the wait staff know it is not us who were bad tippers. We have even left extra. Occasionally a $20 for a $20 ticket. What is really bad is when the restaurant is busy and the wait staff is busting their tails, but they get bad tips. We always give a little extra to them.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

I always try to be the last one to pony up and organize the cash so I can chip in extra. I never say anything. But it happens frequently.

It's harder when there are separate checks paid by debit/credit cards. DH and I then always tip 20% and hope the others do their best.

If the checks were separate, I tip on mine only. I once went out and we went dutch so the meals were on one ticket. I told them I would use my credit card and they could pay me the cash. They wanted to leave a very small tip so I made up the difference. I didn't like the way they treated the server either. I don't think servers are slaves to be ordered around. I left a 25% tip because I was embarrassed about the whole thing.

I have one friend that I lunch with regularly who doesn't tip. Not at all. She eats out frequently in our small town by herself, so the wait staff at the restaurant we normally go to will give each other "the look" when they see her coming in. Now they know if I am with her, they will get enough tip for both of us.

I would add extra tip. And I would say something like, "That's all your leaving? Aww, that stinks for him; but don't worry, I'll make up for your short coming."

Yes. I would absolutely say that. And I would never go out to eat with them again. And if they asked I would say, "I'm sorry, but we don't go out to eat with people who don't tip properly, it's embarrassing."

My aunt tries to be cheap sometimes. I always call her on it and leave more.

I can't stand people who don't tip, or tip pathetically. I probably couldn't be friends with someone like that. Just like smokers, I absolutely can NOT be friends with a smoker. I don't care how nice they are, or how much we have in common or get along.... the minute I find out they smoke, I completely detach myself. I want nothing to do with it. I can't respect them. I don't have it in me. Same thing with habitual no/low tippers. I can't respect them. How can you be friends with someone you can't respect??

I would add extra tip. And I would say something like, "That's all your leaving? Aww, that stinks for him; but don't worry, I'll make up for your short coming."

Yes. I would absolutely say that. And I would never go out to eat with them again. And if they asked I would say, "I'm sorry, but we don't go out to eat with people who don't tip properly, it's embarrassing."

My aunt tries to be cheap sometimes. I always call her on it and leave more.

I can't stand people who don't tip, or tip pathetically. I probably couldn't be friends with someone like that. Just like smokers, I absolutely can NOT be friends with a smoker. I don't care how nice they are, or how much we have in common or get along.... the minute I find out they smoke, I completely detach myself. I want nothing to do with it. I can't respect them. I don't have it in me. Same thing with habitual no/low tippers. I can't respect them. How can you be friends with someone you can't respect??

Good for you! I really don't go out with people who tip poorly. In my group, people are always throwing more money on the table and still discussing if it is enough. Even my children are very concerned about an appropriate tip. Once we get over 30 % on the table I start collecting the extra unless the service was so excellent, or we were so difficult, our party was so large or the meals were free that the extra amount is warranted.

I would make up the difference. I would be embarrassed for them, and I'd probably never go out to dinner with them again.

When my grandpa was still alive, he'd leave $1.00 for a tip, no matter what the bill was. He'd insist on paying if we all went out to dinner with him, and he'd get majorly offended if anyone left more for the tip. So, it was always a game of who could sneak back to the table with more money without Grandpa noticing. :lol:

My mom used to be a bad tipper. We would always have to make sure to take care of the tip even if she was paying for dinner because we knew she was cheap! My son has been a waiter at two different restaurants and I took her to see him while he was working and we ate dinner. The table next to us in my sons section left a $0.50 tip. They were business people and they discussed how funny it would be to leave change to teach the waiter to work hard to get a better job (my son is working himself through college). My mom couldn't believe it. Then I told her that waiters/waitresses don't even make minimum wage. He was making $2-something an hour plus tips. Now she tips well when she goes out to eat.

What do you do when the party you have gone to dinner with tips a ridiculously low amount?

Do you pay extra to make up for it? Do you just pay your amount and hope you set a good example?

The other night we went to dinner with friends. Their bill was over $40 and they left a $3 tip. I couldn't believe it.

Our bill was around $21 and I left a 20% tip. We had good service. There wasn't any complaint.

Dawn

$3 tip on a $40 bill is 7.5%. Which is only HALF the minimum they should have left.

:001_huh:

Were they happy with the service? Perhaps they calculated wrong and didn't realize?

I *do* realize that some people just leave 'a few dollars', and don't go by percentage. I did use to waitress. :glare: :D

If dh and I had been in your situation (where we knew the amount of our companion's bill and how much they tipped) we would probably have left $10. Which would have given the waitress $13 total on $61 worth of bills; which is just over 21%.

While I realize that tipping $10 on MY $21 bill is excessive, I just couldn't have tipped $4 (which would be 20% for my bill) and let the waitress end up with $7 in tips from $61 in bills. That's only a little over 11%.

But dh and I tend to be big tippers. 20% is our norm; we've tipped well over that for exceptional service/circumstances. NOT because we're big spenders, :D, but for a few reasons. First, we don't eat out often at ALL; so when we do, a good tip is just part of the deal. Second, I used to waitress, so I KNOW that it's hard work to be a good waitress. And third, dh and I usually leave a tract with the tip, and we feel it can be a bad witness to cheap out when leaving a tract.

I'm not saying you were obligated to make up for your companion's lack of tip. It's just what dh and I would have done. However, we would have been very discreet about it, and not let our companions know what we were leaving and why.

That happened to us once at a restaurant my dh frequented for business to boot. When dh questioned the guy on the amount he admitted to being a cheapskate. Dh made up the difference and we never dined with them again. Plus, we graciously split the bill 50/50 when in addition to the meal they ordered bar drinks and their oldest ordered 3 cans of some special soda and all we drank was water.

Here in Minnesota, it's sort of a state pastime to discuss the amount of the tip in depth when getting ready to leave a restaurant. :tongue_smilie: So, by the time everyone is done figuring out who is going to leave what, it usually comes to over twenty percent, at least with the people I know.

If I was with someone who left a small tip, I'd leave more to cover it, assuming the service was at all decent. I refuse to tip a server who is downright rude to me, though.