Menu

Anyone else finding it impossible...

SunnyDays

... to decide on all your curricula for next year?!?! :confused:

Seriously, I'm having such a hard time. I think there are just TOO many good choices for everything!!

I'm not sure I've actually made a firm decision on anything yet, and I certainly haven't purchased anything!!

I do *think* we're settled for math (keep using CLE with a side of Singapore) but even that could change at any time. :lol:

History is stumping me. I think I need to make a separate thread about that for suggestions. Still waffling on science a bit too, although we're going to start with a health unit and then go from there.

Language Arts is what's really making me crazy. We'll probably do MCT again. Then I just discovered Writing Tales, and wondering if we should give that a try. We may or may not do WWW again, or another different writing program that does more on paragraphs and essay type writing. Then, do we do additional grammar? What about literature? Add in more vocabulary, or spelling? Ugh...

Probably, I should just go to bed. But I won't... I'll research for a while longer, then wonder why I'm tired tomorrow. :D

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone is in the same boat. Come commiserate with me.

Or, if you have a magic wand and can wave it over my post and magically make the decisions... feel free... ;)

I knew we would do Horizons 2 but everything else stumped me for C. I chose Apologia Astronomy, SOTW vol 1, ARFH T, Saxon 1, and Positive Action Bible 1&2. I sort of knew Apologia and Bible, but we switched from MUS to Saxon and it took me a bit to decide. I had to decide between SOTW and MOH. I also still dont know if Horizons 2 Penmanship will be enough so i am choosing ARFH too.

Then with L, I dont think shes really ready for Horizons K, so I had to pick something entirely! I liked how simple R&S was, but then i couldnt decide if i should add anything else.

Trust me, i really fiddled and fiddled. It will come to you what you are suppose to use. Everyone told me that and i thought " yeah yeah", but its true. :grouphug:

Curric for the new year has been a massive struggle for me. Worse yet is that today was supposed to be our start back day and I'm still second guessing every single subject....

So yea, you're definitely not alone and probably in a better place then I am bc I've been buying and then second guessing. I've bought enough curric for 10 students, lol.

Oh, yes. Kiddo is skidding all over the road. He seems to going BACKWARDS in math (lost interest and focus), and bounding ahead in science and grammar. I'm trying to get a couple of not-too-expensive things for all our subjects in flux and crossing my fingers. I'm hoping for a blast-off in reading level.

I think we have found our "fun" supplement for history, however: Horrible Histories. They are rather addictive.

I think we have found our "fun" supplement for history, however: Horrible Histories. They are rather addictive.

DS LOVES Horrible Histories. Have you been to this site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/shows/horrible-histories

We are decided in some areas: math, history, science, and Spanish.

And we are horribly in flux in others: grammar, writing, spelling, art, and music.

I make a list. I research. I change the list. I research. I throw out the list and start over.

Every year, it seems like there is one subject for each child that I just cannot make a decision about. I was fortunate enough to stumble on things that worked fairly well for us early on and then we've tweaked every year, but there is always that one subject I drive myself crazy over.

Lisa

... to decide on all your curricula for next year?!?! :confused:

Seriously, I'm having such a hard time. I think there are just TOO many good choices for everything!!

I'm not sure I've actually made a firm decision on anything yet, and I certainly haven't purchased anything!!

I do *think* we're settled for math (keep using CLE with a side of Singapore) but even that could change at any time. :lol:

History is stumping me. I think I need to make a separate thread about that for suggestions. Still waffling on science a bit too, although we're going to start with a health unit and then go from there.

Language Arts is what's really making me crazy. We'll probably do MCT again. Then I just discovered Writing Tales, and wondering if we should give that a try. We may or may not do WWW again, or another different writing program that does more on paragraphs and essay type writing. Then, do we do additional grammar? What about literature? Add in more vocabulary, or spelling? Ugh...

Probably, I should just go to bed. But I won't... I'll research for a while longer, then wonder why I'm tired tomorrow. :D

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone is in the same boat. Come commiserate with me.

Or, if you have a magic wand and can wave it over my post and magically make the decisions... feel free... ;)

Hi, there. Same boat, sister :) You would think I would have it figured out after 4 years! I seem very indecisive this year. Maybe I'm also excited/nervous about homeschooling two for the first time. Dd is joining us for her K year.

So indecisive. Do I cover the Italian Renaissance for a few weeks before delving into Early Modern because I like this period? Do I just chuck it and have ds cover it the second time around? Do I make my life easier for once? What about Science? How do I schedule it? Do I use this book, wait, this book is neat! Oh no.. too many books. Aaargh..! :lol:

Edited by sagira

I have only sort of even started thinking about it. Some things I know-- because if it's not broke, I don't think I need to fix it. Other things I THINK I know what I want to do. Still others I have no idea whatsoever.

We have nearly 4 months of summer break so I have time to figure it out. I'm trying right now to focus on finishing this term nice and strong, and on what I want to do this summer to keep them learning without overdoing it.

I'm sure it will all come together eventually . . .

My advice is to step away from this forum and come back in a few weeks. Too much reading here can result in a feeling of wanting to try multiple curric for each subject and getting overwhelmed. Later pick one that sounds like it will work. I've done this and it really helps.

Love this forum but when istart spinning and getting overwhelmed, it is time to step back and chill out!

I'm good with older DS's plan. Younger ... no clue, really. I ordered Get Ready, Set, Go for the Code and downloaded Pre-Miquon since I have all the Miquon stuff. I'll probably call that good, at least until older DS crosses over to 4th grade work in January. By then I'll probably have a better idea of how he learns.

My advice is to step away from this forum and come back in a few weeks. Too much reading here can result in a feeling of wanting to try multiple curric for each subject and getting overwhelmed. Later pick one that sounds like it will work. I've done this and it really helps.

Love this forum but when istart spinning and getting overwhelmed, it is time to step back and chill out!

:iagree:

It is so easy to get excited about new curriculums on this board and get overwhelmed but on a good note when my dear hubby sees me with a new curriculum I just tell him (like a kid) blame piton the wtm:lol:

Every year, it seems like there is one subject for each child that I just cannot make a decision about. I was fortunate enough to stumble on things that worked fairly well for us early on and then we've tweaked every year, but there is always that one subject I drive myself crazy over.

Lisa

Isn't that the truth? Writing seems to be the perennial "problem child" subject. I thought I was set using WWS for DD. But then when I got the full book, I realized the initial 10 week sample was deceptively easy and the difficulty really ramps up in the later part of the book. So now I'm probably going to need to shelve WWS after week 11 and figure out something to do in the interim. :banghead: