Menu

Baby Feeding Question

So DS2 is almost 9 months. He was exclusively bf'd until 6.5 months of age and then we tried to introduce solids - he would have none of it, so we waited a couple weeks and tried again. Rinse and repeat. In the last week and a half he has gotten to the point where he won't fight or outright refuse solid-type foods, but he has made it clear that he still thinks that I'm trying to poison him. We've tried an assortment of baby foods/cereals, mashed up fresh fruits and vegetables (usually things he seems interested in until he has a bite and then it is clear that it is just as undesirable to him as everything else).

However, this morning he desperately wanted a bite of my pancakes (I'm talking crying and extraordinary acrobatics to try and get to my plate). I finally gave in and broke off a teeny-tiny piece and gave it to him... and then he wanted more... and more... and more...! I let him have three little nibbles because I'm not sure how it will set with his stomach.

Theoretically, if he doesn't show any signs of distress could I let him have larger portions in the future? I ask because they're full of things that don't really strike me as "easy first food" types - whole wheat flour, whey protein powder (I can leave this out if necessary), oats, cinnamon, milk, eggs... etc.

FWIW, no one in my family has food allergies.

I say it's fine! We did baby led weaning for the most part with both girls. Dd1 didn't "take" to foods until around 10 months and dd2 dug in right around 6 1/2 months. We did mostly small pieces of "real" food, not baby food. I say as long as you don't notice an issue it's fine.

At 9mo, and with no family history of food issues, I'd say you're good to go (although you shouldn't give him raw honey--botulism and all that). I'd just give him whatever the rest of the family is eating, instead of making special baby foods, and I'd put it on a plate and let him have at it (as opposed to your feeding him). It'll be messy, but it will be good for him. I'd also give him spoon, and show him how to hold it properly. He won't use it much at first, but he will eventually, and if you put it in has hand properly, he'll hold it that way. You can't start too early when teaching good table manners, lol.

The American Acadmy of Pediatrics recently completely changed its view on food introduction (no longer saying certain foods should be off limits for the first year), and many people around the world just feed babies what they eat, so, given that he seems happy, I don't see any problem.

None of my babies would have anything to do with baby food and I didn't blame them either! I ended up starting all of them on oatmeal and tiny pieces of fruit, (they would not eat it mashed or pureed). My second ds actually refused all solids until he was over a year old. Only breastmilk for him would do........I was one tired mama!

I skipped spoonfeeding altogether with my DD and mostly skipped it with DS. They went straight to finger foods and self-feeding which I believe is a lot healthier anyway in terms of self-regulation of bite size, anti-choking, and stopping when they're full.

Ahhh... time for my story of DS's intro to solids on chickfila nuggets. He would eat nothing mashed. Choked, gagged, and acted like he couldn't figure out how to swallow it. I gave up on trying to get him to eat any sort of veggie and tried to get him to just eat applesauce or something sugary and yummy as he approached nine months. He would have none of it. And, he nursed constantly and woke constantly all. night. long.

At nine months old, he was sitting next to big sis at chickfila and went hysterical trying to get her nuggets. I finally gave him one because usually as soon as I gave him food, he'd spit it out. Ummm... he ate the nuggets. So, we went straight from breastmilk to fast food. I consider that one of my winning mommy moments. :tongue_smilie:

Google "baby led weaning". Both my kids were just "eh" about baby food, but went pretty much straight onto real food. At 9 months old I would think pancakes would be fine. Also, chunks of fruits, pieces of avocado, etc.

:iagree:

My first born hated being spoon fed and rarely ate more than a few spoonfuls of food. It was very stressful. He started finger feeding around 9 months and still ate small quantities, but a nice variety. With my 2nd and 3rd children, we just went straight to a BLW approach to solids.

I'd run with it if he's liking it. With DD I was super cautious about only introducing one new thing a week and only giving her basically mush for a long time. She took to solid food really slowly. Now at almost 4 she is a really picky eater. I don't know if how she got started has anything to do with it or not, but I think it's possible. With this next one, we're doing baby led weaning. It sounds like less work than the hours I spent making baby food anyway!