Menu

s/o of sorts: books that inspired Disney movies?

mo2

Some of you mentioned you did a study where you read the books that Disney movies were based on. I think my kids would love this! I was wondering if you would share what books you used. I can figure out the obvious ones: Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Pollyanna, Snow White, Tangled, etc, but what others are there that might be more obscure?

Some of you mentioned you did a study where you read the books that Disney movies were based on. I think my kids would love this! I was wondering if you would share what books you used. I can figure out the obvious ones: Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Pollyanna, Snow White, Tangled, etc, but what others are there that might be more obscure?

Not a disney movie but the movie Rock-a-doodle is based on the story Chanticleer & the Fox I believe

I have the movie "Third Man on the Mountain" coming tomorrow from Netflix. It is a Disney movie based on the book "Banner in the Sky", which we just finished reading together. My oldest is hoping it matches the book (a big pet-peeve of his) since it was made in 1959. We have found that many of the newer Disney movies ruin good books.

Wikipedia has you covered:

List of sources for Disney theatrical animated features

and then this list notes source material some of the live-action Disney pictures:

List of Disney theatrical feature films

P.S. They aren't proper Disney, but The Iron Giant/Ted Hughes' The Iron Man and Ratatouille/Eve Titus' Anatole series would be great to include in something list this!

Edited by kubiac

We did Mary Poppins (a Favorite)

The Little Mermaid

Beauty and the Beast

Bambi (This one was a little over their heads...at least the politics, but they loved it.)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Don't think it was Disney, but it was a movie they had seen.)

Charlotte's Web (see above)

Robin Hood (used the Roger Lancelyn Green version...now they are ready for Howard Pyle)

King Arthur (Which was based on the Once and Future King, but that was WAY TOO MATURE!! so, we used Howard Pyle's version...LOVED!)

101 Dalmations

Pochahantas (We used D'Aulare and Clyde Robert Bulla Tellings)

1001 Arabian Nights...Alladin (Selected stories)

Gullivers Travels (selected chapters

Grimms Fairy Tales (Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, Cinderella, Etc...and so on.

My kids really LOVED Mary Poppins in the books, but not so much on screen. Sorry Julie Andrews! Just NOT mean enough...LOL.

This list is the movies that were made for Disney's TV show. It doesn't list the books they were based on, but I know some of them were, such as "Justin Morgan Had a Horse," a book by the same name by Marguerite Henry; and "Little Dog Lost," based on "Hurry Home, Candy," by Meinert DeJong (whose name I probably misspelled, but I'm too lazy to go upstairs and look at my copy. It's a wonderful book. ).

This list is the movies that were made for Disney's TV show. It doesn't list the books they were based on, but I know some of them were, such as "Justin Morgan Had a Horse," a book by the same name by Marguerite Henry; and "Little Dog Lost," based on "Hurry Home, Candy," by Meinert DeJong (whose name I probably misspelled, but I'm too lazy to go upstairs and look at my copy. It's a wonderful book. ).
bold mine

Oh, I LOVED that TV movie! I also remember "Atta Girl, Kelly!" about a guide dog--Watching The Wonderful World of Disney used to be a Sunday night event at my house during my childhood. All the reservations I have about Disney now can't blot out the pleasures of those TV shows. :D

I'm keeping in mind that I'm reading for a 10 and 8 yo (the 4yo wanders and the 13yo would rather read it herself, I'm too slow). We did the fairytales. I made a point of finding either an especially, old grim version or another culture's version along with modern. We're now reading The Jungle Book because my girls were recently in the musical. Next on tap is Pinnochio (who is a real pain in the book as I remember). I'm also planning Bambi (which I find is not all fluffy bunnies either). If they are still hanging in with me we'll do One Hundred and One Dalmations and Alice in Wonderland. I haven't looked beyond that because that will take us through the summer. I'm working on the theory that these must have been "classics" or they wouldn't have become Disney movies.

Oh, I forgot we read Justin Morgan had a Horse last year. I didn't know that had been a Disney film. Now that I think about it we read Pocahontas and the Strangers and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Pippi Longstocking. I don't know that they were Disney but they were movies.

Edited by joyofsix

I'll skip on that. I just bought "Flatland the movie", which was good. But I'm done buying math movies for the moment.

Ha! :) try youtube then!

You can't get Song of the South, though, except from some internet vendor selling unauthorized copies.