Menu

Yes, but what kind of juicer?

I have been looking and looking at juicers. :001_huh: There are like a million kinds. We have watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead 3 times. I think I want a Breville but I am not sure. What says the Hive? I want to hear from all of you juicers who love your juicer and the things you don't. The Breville 800 JEXL juice fountain looks like the bomb but I have seen some bad reviews. :glare: Then, there is the Champion and Omega to check on. Anyone? I am so tired of researching.

We have JAck Lalenne Juicer and quiet happy with the results!

Check our its reviews.

I have the same one. We bought it at Sam's but they also have them at Costco and Target for around the same price. We have several family members who purchased the same one and everyone is happy with it. They are around $99. We have used ours for several years off and on but since watching Fat , Sick and Nearly Dead we have been using it daily.

We have a Breville. (I don't know which one. DH did the research and bought it, as I was uninterested at the time.) It does well with greens.

I like green smoothies a whole lot better, so even though the juicer works great, I'm partial to the blender. :)

We have a Breville. (I don't know which one. DH did the research and bought it, as I was uninterested at the time.) It does well with greens.

I like green smoothies a whole lot better, so even though the juicer works great, I'm partial to the blender. :)

Please explain this to me. My husband watched it while he was down with the stomach plague, and then I watched... but I don't want a juicer, quite frankly.

The one I got a year or two ago from Costco was simply the worst. I think it was the Jack La Lanne one. It was dreadful. There was so much waste. I've gone through many juicers, since I've been juicing for more than 15 years. For myself (because of where we live) and for newbies, I would personally recommend starting off with an inexpensive juicer from Walmart type places. You don't need to go all out. I'm at a point in my life where I only buy the super-cheap ones. I have yet to find a juicer that's worth a lot of $. They all die pretty quickly anyway. May as well buy the cheap ones.

The one I got a year or two ago from Costco was simply the worst. I think it was the Jack La Lanne one. It was dreadful. There was so much waste. I've gone through many juicers, since I've been juicing for more than 15 years. For myself (because of where we live) and for newbies, I would personally recommend starting off with an inexpensive juicer from Walmart type places. You don't need to go all out. I'm at a point in my life where I only buy the super-cheap ones. I have yet to find a juicer that's worth a lot of $. They all die pretty quickly anyway. May as well buy the cheap ones.

We went this route and bought the cheapest one Walmart had ($30). It has a small opening to feed stuff in, but other than that, it's worked fine. I still think there's a lot of waste, but have nothing to compare it with, and it gets composted or given to the chickens, so it's not a total waste.

We have had a Jack Lalane juicer for quite a few years. It is inexpensive and does the job. To be honest, if I had more money to spend I would try to get something better. The JL juicer does not do well with greens and the pulp is still kind of wet. I would like something more efficient that can also juice some leafy stuff. Let us know what you decide to get!

SJ

Please explain this to me. My husband watched it while he was down with the stomach plague, and then I watched... but I don't want a juicer, quite frankly.

DH juiced for about 15 days in January. He said he felt so much better - quite a bit more energy - and he lost some weight. I tried the juice fast with him, but I just got hungry and grumpy. I can't be like that when I'm taking care of little kids all day long!

Then he started doing green smoothies with a Blendtec blender. Yum! We have a green smoothie most mornings for breakfast. He'll throw in all kinds of stuff: kale, pineapple, blueberries, broccoli - any fruits and veggies, really. He does have a recipe book for it.

At this point, we're trying a semi-vegan diet until the end of April. We're doing smoothies and lots of raw foods. I feel better now that we've started this diet. I don't feel hungry very often, I don't crave sweets, and I have more energy. We eat some eggs, milk, and fish, but not very often.

Forks Over Knives is another good documentary to watch if you're trying to decide which way to go with this. The basic idea is to eat a more whole-foods, plant-based diet.

Hope that answered your question. :)

/hijack

The Jack Lalanne seems to do fine with greens. The instructions say to do the kale/spinach, etc followed by celery or cucumbers which works good. I think it works about th same as the $99 Breville. I'm sure if I bought the $400 it would work better but I'm not willing to spring for it while the one I have is working fine.

I like smoothies too but it's not the same. Your body doesn't have to work as hard to digest the juice.

I am shopping around too. I juice with my blender for now. I want a juicer and just showed dh tonight the JL today at Walmart. Hmmmm. Amazon has The Cuisinart CJE-1000 1000-Watt 5-Speed Juice Extractor

by*Cuisinart and it has 4 out of 5 stars. Anyone know much about that one?

Edited by mamaofblessings

DH juiced for about 15 days in January. He said he felt so much better - quite a bit more energy - and he lost some weight. I tried the juice fast with him, but I just got hungry and grumpy. I can't be like that when I'm taking care of little kids all day long!

Then he started doing green smoothies with a Blendtec blender. Yum! We have a green smoothie most mornings for breakfast. He'll throw in all kinds of stuff: kale, pineapple, blueberries, broccoli - any fruits and veggies, really. He does have a recipe book for it.

At this point, we're trying a semi-vegan diet until the end of April. We're doing smoothies and lots of raw foods. I feel better now that we've started this diet. I don't feel hungry very often, I don't crave sweets, and I have more energy. We eat some eggs, milk, and fish, but not very often.

Forks Over Knives is another good documentary to watch if you're trying to decide which way to go with this. The basic idea is to eat a more whole-foods, plant-based diet.

Hope that answered your question. :)

/hijack

So, you just dump the greens into the blender with other stuff and it's not, er, stringy? FOK is in my queue as well. I think my husband watched that, too. (such a lovely lineup when you're barfing)

I know... What if I just google "green smoothie" and leave the juicer thread alone? :lol:

We have a vitamix which is not specifically a juicer but grinds everything that holds nutritional value PLUS you can do so much more with it. I purchased a refurbished model which still has the same 10 year warranty on it as a new one...

Good luck!:)

Lynn

I have a Breville for sale if anyone is interested. I thought I wanted to juice and my husband bought me one for my birthday a couple of years ago. I'm embarrassed to say it has never actually made it out of the box. I'll have to look at the model, but I think it's a nice one. PM me if you're interested and I'll go check on the model number.

So, you just dump the greens into the blender with other stuff and it's not, er, stringy? FOK is in my queue as well. I think my husband watched that, too. (such a lovely lineup when you're barfing)

I know... What if I just google "green smoothie" and leave the juicer thread alone? :lol:

Well... at least with our mixer, it's not stringy. There are little bits of greens in it, but I don't mind that.

Yesterday morning DH juiced the greens first. Then he added the juice, some of the pulp, and other fruits and veggies into the blender for a smoothie. It was fantastic. This might help a reluctant person (like me :D) get more of the nutritional value of juicing. I'm no expert on the nutritional aspects of this, but I suppose the decision might depend on your beginning health status and your goal.

Yeah, I wouldn't watch Forks Over Knives when you're feeling queasy. :tongue_smilie:

To add to the OP's question... I finally found the user manual. We have the Breville BJE820XL, if that helps. It works well, leaves very little juice in the pulp, and is easy to clean up. DH (who is the one usually using it) says he'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

We had an Omega Juicer for years and like it. Then, a friend gave us their not-often-used 10+ year old Champion Juicer. It's better - easier to feed, easier to clean, more juice from produce. Very sturdy. I have never tried greens in it besides beet tops. I don't know that it would be very useful. But, maybe I ought to try. I assume that greens are better in a blender.

One thing I love about the Champion Juicer is the wheat grinding attachment (costs extra). I grind my own wheat.

Do you want a blender or a juicer? A juicer separates the pulp from the juice.

I have heard the best juicer is a Vitamix. They are expensive though.

Good luck!

ETA: I should clarify that the Omega juicer we had was a centrifugal juicer. The pulp remained in the spinning basket. The Champion juicer is a masticating(?) juicer.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

Well... at least with our mixer, it's not stringy. There are little bits of greens in it, but I don't mind that.

Yesterday morning DH juiced the greens first. Then he added the juice, some of the pulp, and other fruits and veggies into the blender for a smoothie. It was fantastic. This might help a reluctant person (like me :D) get more of the nutritional value of juicing. I'm no expert on the nutritional aspects of this, but I suppose the decision might depend on your beginning health status and your goal.

Yeah, I wouldn't watch Forks Over Knives when you're feeling queasy. :tongue_smilie:

To add to the OP's question... I finally found the user manual. We have the Breville BJE820XL, if that helps. It works well, leaves very little juice in the pulp, and is easy to clean up. DH (who is the one usually using it) says he'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I don't know why he chose to watch those with a stomach bug. He's mental.

Ok, Negin in Grenada's comments sent us to eyeball cheaper juicers yesterday... We split the difference amongst the offerings at Target, Kohl's and Walmart, and got the GE 800 watt model ($49 at Walmart). Last night I read some reviews that were helpful (ie the top needs to be solidly locked down to engage the safety switch), and this morning we have juiced nearly every bit of produce in the house. :D So far, I can say it does kale, spinach, cucumbers, peppers, grapes, apples, strawberries, tomatoes and carrots. The pulp is drier than I expected (based on reviews - I'm sure you could extract more with a press, but it's not at all "wet"). Reviews also mentioned how crazy loud it is; it's no louder than my food processor or blender, so I'm not sure what people are comparing it to in the noise department.

Eta: several people also complained about not being able to find a glass to fit under the spout... I have no idea what sort of glasses they have in their kitchens but our regular drinking glasses (which seem to me are generally "standard" in size and circumference, as compared with those of friends and family) sit under it and right up against the side so there's no leaking.

It has a 2 year warranty, add we added the Walmart protection plan for $3.

The kids are just mad about it, and are now parked in front of Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, drinking apple-grape-kale-carrot juice. Woohoo!

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

• 10 years later...
On 1/25/2023 at 8:58 AM, Lori D. said:

"Yes, but what kind of POSTER?"
11yo ZOMBIE  resurrected by a 1st-time AI poster 

🧟‍♂️ 🥸+💻

It was a timely zombie, since my dh has been juicing in our blender for the past couple of months and brought up the idea of buying a juicer...😅

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...