Menu

Can walking help my thighs???

Alternate thread titles:

Has anyone gone to flab thighs to fab thighs without jogging/running?

What one thing can I do to firm up my thighs that is not high-impact?

Where are the thighs of my past?

Okay, in all seriousnesss now that I have bad knees and a bad back I don't know what to do. My legs looked fine when I used to be able to do tae-bo. Now I walk and do occasional pilates at home.

Is there any way to help my legs without the impact on my knees and back? Do I just need to be more consistent with my walking and pilates? (I am not consistent now and haven't been in a long time).

My weight is fine, although I'd be fine losing 5 pounds. I just can't stand looking at myself in a dress if it is even 1.5 inches above the knee.

Help!

A little I suppose but I run and runnings hasn't ever made my legs look the way I want.

The closest I have gotten was with Insanity (totally not for you, high impact) and Brazil Butt Lift. The essential part of these programs are the many squats and lunges. If done correctly, it shouldn't hurt your knees or back.

Muscle. You need muscles and low fat to not jiggle. I lunge with weights twice a week and I seriously went from like 200 pounds post baby 5 years ago, to tight and toned. I do squats and lunges wtih weights, that's about it for lower body, aside from yoga for stretching purposes.

I absolutely hate running. I would only run occasionally to make sure I COULD if someone was chasing me :lol:

I do have a bike. I could alternate walking and biking.

Squats and lunges...yes! I always end up hurting my back though...

With squats and lunges you need to ensure that you are really engaging your abdominal muscles and pulling up your pelvic floor (which automatically pulls in your lower abs). Also, make sure you are not tilting your pelvis causing an unnatural curve in your lower back.

http://www.barmethod.com/

Bar Method gave me the best legs of my life. Ok, that isn't saying much, but I started with blech.

Get the DVD "change your body' for 17$. Do it three or 4 times a week and you will see a difference. Once that seems do-able move up to 'super sculpting.'

I wouldn't bother with the beginner dvd. It's 20$ and only 37 mins long. Just start with 'change your body' and keep working at it until you can do the entire DVD at a comfortable level.

But, make a commitment to three or four times a week.

You can start squats without weights with a large exercise ball, to get the form correct. Place the ball between the wall and your back, feet shoulder width apart and knees facing forward. Squat down as far as you can, or until your thighs are parallel to the floor; the ball will roll with you. This method helps you hold that pelvic tilt and upright posture.

I need to go do a few of these!

You can start squats without weights with a large exercise ball, to get the form correct. Place the ball between the wall and your back, feet shoulder width apart and knees facing forward. Squat down as far as you can, or until your thighs are parallel to the floor; the ball will roll with you. This method helps you hold that pelvic tilt and upright posture.

I need to go do a few of these!

Adding on ... here is a trick I learned about squats, lift your toes so that you are really sitting back and look up or at least straight ahead.

I would recommend barre work or Callanetics.

See if your library has the old Callanetics books by Callan Pinckney. (She also made some videos.) Those exercises WORK.

Sadly, Callan passed away recently at the age of either 71 or 72. :( I don't know what caused her death, but I felt so sad when I read that she'd died. Her workouts are still my go-to exercises when I need to shape up my lower body in a hurry.

There are lots of excellent barre workouts available, and I highly recommend you read the reviews and visit the forums at Video Fitness for all the fitness info you could possibly need. The members there are at all levels of fitness, and are super-helpful.

http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php

Edited by Catwoman

I have tried both callanetics and t-tapp in the past and never saw any results. I did have the videos for both and tried really, really hard to do the exercises correctly. I finally gave up on callanetics. I believed in t-tapp and actually enjoyed the exercises a lot. But honestly I never saw results like she talks about. Maybe I should give it another try, but I want results!!!

Adding on to my question...

How about walking up hills?

There is a mountain here in San Diego with a trail all the way to the top. It takes me about 40 minutes to walk up and at points it is very difficult. The view from the top is gorgeous! I would love to try to climb this mountain once a week if it would help my thighs! My knees and back are not bothered at all doing this.

Adding on to my question...

How about walking up hills?

There is a mountain here in San Diego with a trail all the way to the top. It takes me about 40 minutes to walk up and at points it is very difficult. The view from the top is gorgeous! I would love to try to climb this mountain once a week if it would help my thighs! My knees and back are not bothered at all doing this.

You should do it, hiking is great exercise for the body and spirit! :001_smile:

Bellydance! The FIRST thing that changes on a bellydancer's body is the thighs. The legs generate a lot of movement that you might think comes from the hips. The ab changes come much later. Let me start you with a basic, low impact shimmy:

Are your inner thighs supposed to rub? Because mine are!

Squats and lunges - you need strength training!

:iagree: I haven't read the whole thread, but THIS, absolutely. There's a certain day of P90X that comes to mind :)

eta, there are youtube videos on proper squat technique. Mix it up a bit - add some wall squats.

Edited by wapiti

Bellydance! The FIRST thing that changes on a bellydancer's body is the thighs. The legs generate a lot of movement that you might think comes from the hips. The ab changes come much later. Let me start you with a basic, low impact shimmy:

That was fun! :D

Are your inner thighs supposed to rub? Because mine are!

Even with your feet hip-width apart, you could feel some rubbing, so make sure you wear pants that cover your thighs. There are other ways to generate a shimmy, but you usually start with this "knee-pump shimmy." If you move on to the Swing Hip lesson on the same channel, you'll get less rubbing.

That was fun! :D

Glad you liked it. Piper is a great teacher for technique. Her classes are some serious work, but she's so thorough. She's the one who pointed out to me that even large bellydancers have toned thighs because the thighs do so much of the work.

Edited by KungFuPanda

Even with your feet hip-width apart, you could feel some rubbing, so make sure you wear pants that cover your thighs. There are other ways to generate a shimmy, but you usually start with this "knee-pump shimmy." If you move on to the Swing Hip lesson on the same channel, you'll get less rubbing.

Glad you liked it. Piper is a great teacher for technique. Her classes are some serious work, but she's so thorough. She's the one who pointed out to me that even large bellydancers have toned thighs because the thighs do so much of the work.

I can't seem to make my hips roll. I look like I am doing hip pops.

http://www.barmethod.com/

Bar Method gave me the best legs of my life. Ok, that isn't saying much, but I started with blech.

Get the DVD "change your body' for 17$. Do it three or 4 times a week and you will see a difference. Once that seems do-able move up to 'super sculpting.'

I wouldn't bother with the beginner dvd. It's 20$ and only 37 mins long. Just start with 'change your body' and keep working at it until you can do the entire DVD at a comfortable level.

But, make a commitment to three or four times a week.

OK - dumb question, but can you do this at home and if so, what do you use for a bar?

Thanks,

Angela