Menu

s/o Do you color your hair?

I'll be 50 this year. :glare: I guess it's not so much that I mind being 50.... I just don't like looking so OLD! I have very dark brown hair with LOTS of gray. I always thought I would just grow old gracefully..... but I'm resisting with every fiber of my being! :D My gray isn't pretty. I have these lovely (NOT) Cruella Deville streaks that just look freaky. So last year I bit the bullet and started coloring. $55 every 4 weeks or so. Yikes! That's not really where I want to spend my $$. But dh and dc like my non-gray hair, and so do I.

So here's the question..... Do you go to a salon for your hair color? Or do you DIY? If you DIY, which products have you found to work well, and which do you stay away from?

I would love to get this job done more inexpensively. I don't want to stop coloring... I just feel guilty, with all our other, more important financial needs, spending that much $$

:bigear:

I do mine at home (about once a month) with Garnier Fructise coloring. Costs about $6 -$7 a box. I color it to the color that is as close to my natural color as possible (which is the darkest brown you can get without going black), that way I don't have root lines when it starts to grow out, except, of course, where there are grays. Everyone always complements me when I tell them I do my own dye job because they say it looks natural.

I used to do it myself, but I got a comment once from a stylist that it's noticeable that I do it myself because I have a lot of hair and the color wasn't even. So, she did give me some tips on how to do a better job myself, but that was the last straw. I hated doing it myself. It's messy and time consuming, etc. I just decided to go to a salon. Yes, it's expensive, but I do so little for "just me" that I do it.

I get mine done at a salon. The guy who does it loves to discuss the science of hair products, so we spend a lot of time having nerdy discussions about pH, hair follicle biology, and whatnot. It's actually a pretty fun experience, plus I don't get permanent color so I only go in about every 8-12 weeks, depending on whether I've been in a lot of low pH situations :tongue_smilie:

Two things he's pointed out to me:

Products that are formulated to cover grey are sort of bland-looking as far as color goes. This has to do with how they need to color the hair shaft.

He always mixes colors (sort of like going to Sherwin Williams for a custom color) since that gives more depth to the color. Again, if you were getting this info from him it would be with a discussion of how the hair shaft is pigmented (with possible bonus info on the relative molecular size of various colors' pigments).

:bigear: I'm not even 30 and I am so sick of dying my hair. At 4 weeks, I get comments about how terribly gray I am. :glare: I have been trying to go to Sally's and mix the color and developer myself (vs. buying a box, recommended here) but I am still trying to find a color that lasts longer than 2 weeks. I did buy something that's specially formulated to cover gray and while it seems to work initially to cover more, it doesn't make the color stick any longer.

I use Feria and do it myself at home. I am 48 with medium brown hair and LOTS of gray. I usually get one shade lighter than my natural color, because it always turns out darker on my hair than it looks in the picture on the box. If it's too dark, it makes me look old and washed out.

Before Han Solo came along I went to the salon to have it done. I've been doing it myself for a while now and don't like it. The color isn't bad, but it looks so much better when done at a salon and there's no mess for me. I decided recently that I'm going to start going back to the salon. I don't care how much it costs. I have very, very thick, long hair (just below my bra strap) and it usually cost me €70-€100 (approx $100-$130). It is expensive and unfortunately my hair grows really fast so I have noticeable roots and gray (grey?) about every 4 weeks, which means I'm spending about $1200/year. Egads! I'm worth every penny though. James Bond agrees because he is a smart man. :tongue_smilie:

I also DIY color my hair, but I MUCH prefer having it done at a salon.

I use whatever product is on sale and/or I have a coupon for. I also use a highlighting kit to add more dimension to the color. Usually it turns out OK. People are usually surprised to hear I cut and color my own hair--but I have curly hair, so it's more forgiving. I am sure I could not get away with it if I had straight hair that showed all my scissoring flaws and uneven color!

I also use the root-touch-up kits between coloring sessions.

I am just now starting to get a few silver hairs here and there. I have no intention of coloring them. The only coloring I have done so far is a few bright fushia streaks and I can see myself doing something like that again some day but that is about it. My poor dd (the 26 year old) has had silvers hairs for years now. She gets it from her father's side of the family.

I go to the salon. I'll probably die my hair until I'm in the grave :) I started graying at around my 30th birthday. My hair is naturally very dark, so it's difficult to get it looking natural if I do it myself. I tried it once, but never again. It looks witchy if I do it myself, and flat. I hate the mess of doing it at home. It's worth every penny to me.

I do mine at home with L'oreal. I've had it done professionally in the past, but it's more convenient and so much cheaper to do myself. I am having a bit of trouble lately getting it even. I think my hair has gotten long enough that I need to be using two bottles of color. Still much cheaper to do it myself.

I'm 48. I've been doing mine at home for about 15 years. I like Garnier and L'Oreal. My new absolute fave is the Garnier foam. So easy, covers nicely, gives nice tones to my natural color and gray, color stays true for the full four weeks. Best of all- $8. :D I like the L'Oreal and John Frieda foam too, but the Garnier is my fave. Not a fan of Nice & Easy. For the same price, other products give better results.

Some 15 years ago when the gray started, my stylist glossed it every 8 weeks and it did enough to tone it down and keep it smooth. Then we went to basically one income, and I went to doing it myself to save $ and time. I have no regrets. The problem is that the texture of the gray is so much different than my regular hair, going gray means styling problems galore.

I currently use L'Oreal Preference but may try Garnier. I am finding that it fades sooner than it once did, but I'm still basically happy. It takes me about an hour, and I can do it whenever I have the time.