Menu

Camping-themed birthday gift for 3yo?

I am planning to get her a sleeping bag and a backpack, but I'm having trouble coming up with ideas of what to fill the backpack with. I mean, she's only 3, so she doesn't really *need* to take much with her. I figured I could get her a little lantern. She already has a headlamp, and a hat. Maybe a poncho in case it rains? Any ideas? I may just have to take a stroll through the camping aisle at WalMart and see what I find.

A small game? A nature journal and special crayons to do rubbings? Collapsible bucket? Star guide?

She got her own notebooks and set of pencils for Christmas, so that's covered. We have buckets and star guides.

A 'smores "kit" would be well-received by the preschoolers in my house :)

Rainboots/Muckboots/Hiking-type boots or new workhorse tennis shoes?

But I'd probably do the aisle stroll to see what else would jump out at me LOL.

Love the smores kit idea. I think I'll definitely do that one. She has rainboots and tennis shoes already.

A journal and crayons - great idea!

To that end, a magnifying glass. I sometimes see functional, kiddie-friendly, big ones at toy stores.

We already have a few magnifying glasses floating around here. But that does make me think of maybe a butterfly net or one of those little containers to observe bugs in.

My kids always loved glow sticks at that age. Maybe a pad with colored pencils or a small take-along game for rainy weather?

Glow sticks is a good idea....better get enough for sharing.

a child friendly book on different types of flowers or birds.

I would look at currclick for a unit study or a lapbook (probably the easiest and cheapest)

Yes, this is a great idea! I would love to find something for the very young...She's only 3, so obviously she isn't going to be doing much reading, but something with a lot of big pictures would be great! I'll have to do some searching.

a Klean Kanteen-type waterbottle? One in her favorite color or favorite thing on it? Ds got a dino one awhile back that he really likes.

Good thinking. Actually, ALL my kids need these. I have trouble finding water bottles that have covered spouts. My kids drop them in the sand, mud, etc, and then they don't want to drink out of them (and I don't blame them).

Does she have camping themed toys? My DS has a little pretend camp stove and camp cooking tools that he got one year for Christmas. He also LOVES a little camping figurine set that he has. It is sort of like this one, has a small action figure type man with a tent, truck, etc... I can't find the one he had so I linked the other. She might have fun taking them camping with her, so she can pretend with them.

What about some kid friendly binocculors to go with some colors and a sketchpad? Many times Dollar Tree type places will have the mesh critter cages and such for sale at this time of year. A flashlight? A cute brimmed hat to keep off the sun?

He also LOVES a little camping figurine set that he has. It is sort of like this one, has a small action figure type man with a tent, truck, etc... I can't find the one he had so I linked the other. She might have fun taking them camping with her, so she can pretend with them.

CUTE!

I just checked my e-mail and currclick has some bug studies on sale on Friday for 1.00 each. They say they are k-5 take a look to see if they will work.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Good thinking. Actually, ALL my kids need these. I have trouble finding water bottles that have covered spouts. My kids drop them in the sand, mud, etc, and then they don't want to drink out of them (and I don't blame them).

As far as the backpack goes, all of my kids had a Camelbak Mini Mule starting at about three (we did a lot of all day nature study trips). It was wonderful, even in the early years. I just didn't fill up the water enough to be heavy. There is a cover on the mouthpiece so if it ended up in the dirt it was no big deal.

In the bag, we put...

a whistle (this one can be heard over waterfalls)

Ziploc bags to collect goodies

wipes to clean up after touching the not-so-goodies :lol:

a reusable container or two for snacks

notebook and pencils/crayons/watercolors

little field guides

magnifying glasses or kids' binoculars

As far as the backpack goes, all of my kids had a Camelbak Mini Mule starting at about three (we did a lot of all day nature study trips). It was wonderful, even in the early years. I just didn't fill up the water enough to be heavy. There is a cover on the mouthpiece so if it ended up in the dirt it was no big deal.

In the bag, we put...

a whistle (this one can be heard over waterfalls)

Ziploc bags to collect goodies

wipes to clean up after touching the not-so-goodies :lol:

a reusable container or two for snacks

notebook and pencils/crayons/watercolors

little field guides

magnifying glasses or kids' binoculars

What about a travel sized package of bandaids as a "first aid kit"?

Kid friendly bug lotion?

One of those stainless steel eating kits, where the cup, bowl and pot all collapse into each other?

What about a flashlight? Both of my kids have loved flashlights for as long as I can remember. They also like compasses.

We already have most of these. We're outdoorsy. :)

OMG what a good idea. For some reason it hadn't dawned on me that they make kid-size Camelbaks. I am so tired of carrying the kids' water bottles. Now I know what to spend my REI dividend on this spring! :001_smile:

OP, I don't have anything to add besides what PPs said except my kids have an indoor tent kind of like this one which has recieved a LOT of use around here.

OMG what a good idea. For some reason it hadn't dawned on me that they make kid-size Camelbaks. I am so tired of carrying the kids' water bottles. Now I know what to spend my REI dividend on this spring! :001_smile:

OP, I don't have anything to add besides what PPs said except my kids have an indoor tent kind of like this one which has recieved a LOT of use around here.

Have tents already. :D

We love ours. I also have them each carry their own aqua socks, swimsuit for swimming holes, change of clothes, etc. The bags have enough space for a reasonable amount of stuff without being cumbersome. Frankly, I don't know how they manage that but they do. DH and I each use the adult size. It is so wonderful for everyone to carry their own gear!

Camelbak little water bottle - HUGE hit around here for camping and just in general. My nephew and cousin's daughter got one for Christmas and they will carry them around with them all the time.

Bug container - We camp a lot and this gives hours of fun. If we forgot them I think we'd probably turn around to go home and get them. With a 7 year old it will keep them occupied long enough for me to read a few chapters in a book uninterrupted and take a little nap.

Hammock - That would be fun for everyone!

Camelbak little water bottle - HUGE hit around here for camping and just in general. My nephew and cousin's daughter got one for Christmas and they will carry them around with them all the time.

Bug container - We camp a lot and this gives hours of fun. If we forgot them I think we'd probably turn around to go home and get them. With a 7 year old it will keep them occupied long enough for me to read a few chapters in a book uninterrupted and take a little nap.

Hammock - That would be fun for everyone!

Is the spout covered on the Camelbak water bottle? I can't tell from the picture. That's a biggie for me.

I think I'm going to get hubby a hammock for father's day this year. :)

Real binoculars. You can get small collapsable ones that are for adults, but SUPER kid friendly for under $20, sometimes even $9.99. They work way better then 'toy' kid ones.

Blank Journal

Colored pencils

Magnifying Glass

Bug Viewing Container

Mini Bird Book (or laminated fold guide)

Walking/Hiking Stick

We always read The Very Lonely Firefly (it lights up on the last page!) plus The Very Quiet Cricket (it makes a cricket noise on the last page) books by Eric Carle everytime we went camping. My boys also loved having a head lamps so that their hands could be free while walking around camp and while we were reading!

Myra

Is the spout covered on the Camelbak water bottle? I can't tell from the picture. That's a biggie for me.

I think I'm going to get hubby a hammock for father's day this year. :)

Yes, in a way. The spout bends down into a protective little area. They've got a very nice design to them.

We always read The Very Lonely Firefly (it lights up on the last page!) plus The Very Quiet Cricket (it makes a cricket noise on the last page) books by Eric Carle everytime we went camping. My boys also loved having a head lamps so that their hands could be free while walking around camp and while we were reading!

Myra

These books look so cute.

Yes, in a way. The spout bends down into a protective little area. They've got a very nice design to them.

Thanks.

Oh yes, I almost forgot! Mess kits - you know like boy and girl scouts use - you can get them at Wal-mart or any sporting goods stores. My boys loved how they were so compact and enjoyed taking them apart and putting them together and enjoyed eating from them alot!

Myra