Menu

At what age...

SuperDad

I'm not sure ... My 5 yr old says things like "yesterday last week" and other phrases but usually means a long time ago (like a year ago) ... My 7 yr old doesn't say things like that anymore, but I remember around the same age hearing that. They both understand "today" and "tomorrow", though ... I think the past is just too general and they have had difficulty thinking about specific days. I'm thinking somewhere around the age of 6 is when my kids "get it".

My five-year old still mixes those concepts up, and gets them confused. He'll say things like "last week" when he means a month or more ago. Today and tomorrow he's got down pat, it's just talking about the past that trips him up, really. So, I would say sometime between 5-6ish.

when my son was about 3.5 he would say "last day" for yesterday, so I am assuming he understood the concept.

Around 3 my dd firmly grasped "yester" and anything past was yester year, yester week....

Now at 10, I'm doubtful on how well she grasped time at all because EVERYTHING is tomorrow. :D

...would you generally expect a child to understand the concept of "yesterday, today, tomorrow"?

Depends on what level of understanding.

At around age 2 my kids understood "today" as the time between getting up in the moring and going to bed at night. Long naps sometimes threw them off. They understood past and future, but anything beyond today might have a wildly inaccurate time label.

At around ages 3 my kids understood "yesterday" and "tomorrow" as the single day before or after today, but they still got mixed up sometimes. It helped that we had fixed outings for different days. E.g. Yesterday was the library, today is preschool, and tomorrow will be playgroup.

By age 4, my kids were pretty solid on "yesterday, today, and tomorrow" as a specific set of three days, and started to grasp "day before yesterday" and "day after tomorrow".

It took much, much longer for my kids to get a feel for how long a week is, and even longer to get a feel for a month or year.

Edited by Kuovonne

I'd say around 4 or 5. I'm sure they often understand the concept before they can use the vocabulary correctly. My ds 4 often gets yesterday confused with other days, but he definitely knows it already happened and it was recent.

My 6 year old is still catching on. He still sometimes says "last day" for yesterday. But, I don't blame him because we often talk about "last week/month/year" so why should day be any different? :D We work on it during calendar time...when I remember to do calendar time. :lol: