Menu

Help me figure this out about the time change-WHY are they sleeping so late?

Yesterday dd12 got up a 10 a.m.! Usually up at 7:30! Today I went in and woke her at 9!

I don't understand why that happens-they are still going to bed at 8 p.m. as usual, so shouldn't they just sleep the same *amount* of hours they always do?

I mean, I understand the first day, but after a couple days, shouldn't they be adjusted?

And why is she sleeping like TWO hours more? (she's not had anything extra taxing going on to cause it)

(I understand it with myself-I am going to bed later because I'm not tired yet due to time change. But they are going to bed at teh same time as usual!)

I'm not sure why, but my kids are the same way. They do it every year though so I don't even worry about it anymore. I always know we won't get as much done the week of the time change.

ETA: That 9am you woke her up at today, a few days ago would have been 8am, so that's wasn't too far off from her norm.

My three old is doing this. My personal, completely untested theory? It's darker in the morning so they are just staying cozy in bed longer.

I bet it has something to do with this. Maybe because their bodies are conditioned to wake a certain amount of time after light as well as at a certain time? The cumulative effect of losing an hour and having it stay darker longer in the morning could possibly explain them sleeping more than an hour later? I don't know, but my sleepyheads are doing the same thing.

My three old is doing this. My personal, completely untested theory? It's darker in the morning so they are just staying cozy in bed longer.

:iagree:

When we moved into this house with only east/west facing windows and fir trees blocking all of the light, we all started sleeping an average of two hours later every morning. Even my morning person husband sleeps late now.

My DD's allergist told us that fatigue is one of the biggest indicators of an allergy. I thought that was very interesting since we were mostly seeing other physical signs like swollen face, red eyes, itching, sinus infections, etc.

It's now pollen season and my DD is still sound asleep and shows no signs of waking anytime soon. I think the time change is just a double whammy for her. DS is still asleep too, but his sleep pattern is just due to the time change since he doesn't have allergies.

Since my kids are still both in bed, I guess I better get it together and go workout. I really have no excuse not to. :glare:

I think Mrs. Basil's theory is good, but I also know that my almost 8yo is having a hard time going to bed at an early enough time. Yesterday he didn't wake until almost 10am, and last night he was up past 10. I was planning on waking him no later than 8:30 this morning, but he actually woke around 7:30 on his own [ok, his little bro might have helped], so hopefully tonight will be better.

I know spring allergies can make me much sleepier. I don't have the typical congestion symptoms, so it took me years to realize that my spring and fall exhaustion was actually allergies.

I don't know where you are, but in my part of the country everything is budding about a month early which means NOW!

Ha! I bet that is part of it!! It totally makes sense-I've been extra tired too and I bet that is why.

I know in our case our seasonal allergies started up much earlier then usual. We're sleeping later here too... including me who doesn't usually have a time switch problem.

DH always has a problem due to sleep issues.

ME having difficulty adjusting - bad allergies

DS(7) is up regular time - no allergies

DS(4) sleeping later - bad allergies and asthma

DD(2) no issues - no allergies