Menu

Is it possible to do biology without actually doing the labs?

I'm planning for next year and I just keep seeing the costs go higher and higher for biology. I'm considering Shepherd Science and with their textbooks, supplemental dvd's, and lab specimens, we're up in the hundreds of dollars. Add to that the cost of a microscope and I'm looking at spending as much on one class as I did for all their homeschool materials put together a few years ago.

Outside classes aren't an option nor is borrowing or buying used from another home schooler. I don't know anyone anywhere near me that has actually taught biology.

Can I justify giving credit for biology if ds just watches the lab dvd's and writes up what he sees? That way I wouldn't have to buy the specimens or microscope.

I think you can easily get away without a microscope if it is a financial burden. There are online slides available free for anything you are supposed to look at. Biology was actually the lowest supply cost of any science we have done yet (I already had a microscope). Pick the labs you want to do - at least one per chapter in most Biology courses. Look for free online ways to do the labs, then pick those that can't be done online, that can be done inexpensively or that have the greatest learning value and do those IRL.

For microscope use, just keep an eye out for an opportunity. For example our local discovery science museum (45 min away) sometimes has inexpensive programs that will include microscope use. If your child makes it all the way to college without ever touching a microscope it isn't that big of a deal. In ps classes where several kids are sharing a microscope, they don't get much time with it. In the intro level college sciences, they explain microscope use knowing that kids have had varying experience levels and with very different microscopes. There is much more to be gained from Biology labs that microscope skills.

Sure, you can do bio without a lab. Most college do not require that all four years of science be lab sciences. For a student without interest in bio who does not want to attend a selective school I see no problem with that - just do not label it lab science.

For a student who will have to take bio at college I consider the lab very important in preparation. For admission to competetive schools, I'd prefer all sciences to be lab courses.

FWIW: You can do what is called virtual "lab" to add a visual component. I do not consider these "labs" because the student does not acquire the skills he would acquire in a lab, but you can add them to enhance your textbook work.

That is a huge relief. Thanks so much.

How do you list science on your transcripts? Do you just write

Biology

Chemistry (lab science)

Physics (lab science)

so that the college would know that Bio was not a lab science?

Sure, you can do bio without a lab. Most college do not require that all four years of science be lab sciences. For a student without interest in bio who does not want to attend a selective school I see no problem with that - just do not label it lab science.

For a student who will have to take bio at college I consider the lab very important in preparation. For admission to competetive schools, I'd prefer all sciences to be lab courses.

FWIW: You can do what is called virtual "lab" to add a visual component. I do not consider these "labs" because the student does not acquire the skills he would acquire in a lab, but you can add them to enhance your textbook work.

What are your thoughts on doing a lab without owning a microscope? Or using a less expensive microscope like the Brock Magiscope, that might do less well on single celled organisms.

I'm not sure what public high schools dissect these days. I only did worm and frog in high school. The biology lab I helped my friend supervise did worm, crayfish, perch and frog. I know that these are several dollars each, when purchased preserved and ready to use. But what about getting worms (and maybe even the crayfish) from a bait shop? I've read of people getting local butchers to save them things like cow eyes for dissection.

I happen to agree with you on the virtual labs. Nice supplement, but not the same as participating in the lab. (Sort of like my counting time on an exercise site as a workout. It can make my workouts better, but it's not one itself.)

How does one determine essential labs to include in lab science course? And keep it within budget?

Okay, I don't know how well this would "hold up" for a student in a more traditional situation, but I can tell you what we did for biology for my daughter.

We used an inexpensive microscope I had bought when the kids were younger. I think I spent $30 on it at Target. It isn't a great instrument, but it allowed us to do some basic labs.

Then I sat down at the computer and scoured for labs that could be done at home without lots of equipment or expense. We leaned heavily toward botanical projects, both because we don't believe in dissecting animals and because they are both cheaper and easier to do.

We used a traditional school text that someone had given me, and we found that many, many of the labs described in the book were very do-able at home.

I ended up listing 24 labs and projects on her course description.

On the transcript, I listed her sciences like this:

Biology w/lab

Astronomy

Chemistry (H) w/lab

I do have a microscope, but just an inexpensive one that I got at a thrift shop, probably equivalent to your $30 Target version. I've read many posts here about inexpensive microscopes not being very effective in high school science projects. I could just give some a try and if they work, great. If not, I just won't list it as a lab science. I don't suppose you have links to any of the sites you found in your computer search for easy labs? :)

I do have a microscope, but just an inexpensive one that I got at a thrift shop, probably equivalent to your $30 Target version. I've read many posts here about inexpensive microscopes not being very effective in high school science projects. I could just give some a try and if they work, great. If not, I just won't list it as a lab science. I don't suppose you have links to any of the sites you found in your computer search for easy labs? :)

For biology, any microscope, even a toy, is better than no microscope. For first year biology, any standard 40X-100X-400X microscope is usable. For AP biology, a 40X-100X-400X-1000X model is highly desirable. In any case, the most important option is a mechanical stage.

I've taken some flak for saying this, but I'll say it again: the Brock is a very poor choice for middle-school and high-school work. There are much better microscopes available for the same price or less. The National Optical model 109 costs just over $100 new and less used, and is immensely superior to the Brock for any serious work.

For those on a very tight budget, even a pocket microscope is better than nothing. You can buy these for $10 or so. They typically offer fixed magnification of 30X or 100X, and can be used to view both slides and opaque specimens.

I'm planning for next year and I just keep seeing the costs go higher and higher for biology. I'm considering Shepherd Science and with their textbooks, supplemental dvd's, and lab specimens, we're up in the hundreds of dollars. Add to that the cost of a microscope and I'm looking at spending as much on one class as I did for all their homeschool materials put together a few years ago.

Outside classes aren't an option nor is borrowing or buying used from another home schooler. I don't know anyone anywhere near me that has actually taught biology.

Can I justify giving credit for biology if ds just watches the lab dvd's and writes up what he sees? That way I wouldn't have to buy the specimens or microscope.

Do you know any professional that would have a microscope and be willing to show your kid how to use it? I'm thinking of medical offices, veterinarians, local colleges, even local high school teachers who might be sympathetic and willing to show what they do for an afternoon. Do you have any local science and nature centers that might have microscopes on hand? Would they be willing to do a session on how to use them and what they do with them?

I helped a friend with biology labs a couple years back. She did bring out the microscopes for the single celled organisms. But my Brock had higher quality viewing on the pieces from dissection. So I'm wondering how essential the scope is for the lab. (And I'm willing to be corrected. Maybe biology has shifted so much to cell work and away from things like taxonomy that a microscope is key now.)

There are ways that you can be economical. For example, when I was in high school, we often used styrofoam trays (like meat came on) instead of the wax filled metal tray for dissections.

Do you have anything like Craig's List or a flea markets or church bazaars that might have equipment for dissections? Any medical offices or schools that are upgrading and selling their surplus?

Just my opinion, but I'd try to find a way to do lab if at all possible (even if that was without a microscope), if only because it keeps doors open.

For biology, any microscope, even a toy, is better than no microscope. For first year biology, any standard 40X-100X-400X microscope is usable. For AP biology, a 40X-100X-400X-1000X model is highly desirable. In any case, the most important option is a mechanical stage.

I've taken some flak for saying this, but I'll say it again: the Brock is a very poor choice for middle-school and high-school work. There are much better microscopes available for the same price or less. The National Optical model 109 costs just over $100 new and less used, and is immensely superior to the Brock for any serious work.

For those on a very tight budget, even a pocket microscope is better than nothing. You can buy these for $10 or so. They typically offer fixed magnification of 30X or 100X, and can be used to view both slides and opaque specimens.

The reason I mentioned the Brock is because I have owned one for several years. Thus it's cost to me for any future use is $0. I agree that it has a lot of limitations (lack of a mechanical stage is one big one, especially when trying to find beasties in a drop of water).

Is it ideal for some of what I'd want to do when we hit biology? No. But I've also used it for looking at animal parts during dissections and been happier with it (for that purpose) than with more traditional microscopes.

Not trying to give you a hard time. I am trying to come up with options for lab that are within the realm of the possible for the OP. If she has a Brock or a less than excellent scope, it is better (imho) than just watching a video clip or setting aside attempting the lab altogether.

Incidentally, you needn't spend any money at all to get a top-notch biology curriculum. Visit CK-12.org and download their biology materials. They're completely free and of excellent quality. They also try to keep labs as inexpensive as possible.

Then take the money you didn't spend on SS or other commercial curriculum materials and buy an inexpensive microscope like the National Optical 109 and some prepared slides, blank slides and coverslips, and stains. When your son finishes biology, resell the microscope to another homeschooler here or elsewhere.

The reason I mentioned the Brock is because I have owned one for several years. Thus it's cost to me for any future use is $0. I agree that it has a lot of limitations (lack of a mechanical stage is one big one, especially when trying to find beasties in a drop of water).

Is it ideal for some of what I'd want to do when we hit biology? No. But I've also used it for looking at animal parts during dissections and been happier with it (for that purpose) than with more traditional microscopes.

Not trying to give you a hard time. I am trying to come up with options for lab that are within the realm of the possible for the OP. If she has a Brock or a less than excellent scope, it is better (imho) than just watching a video clip or setting aside attempting the lab altogether.

Oh, I agree completely. As I said, any microscope, even a pocket model, is better than no microscope. The main issue with the Brock isn't its lack of a mechanical stage; it's that it has no turret, so you can't switch magnifications without physically changing objective lenses.

I understood the OP to mean that she had no microscope. If that's the case, buying a Brock would be a poor choice when there are many models that sell for about the same price (or significantly less) that do have turrets.

Even something like this would be, if not ideal, at least usable for a first year biology lab course.

http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Lab-Duo-Scope-Microscope/dp/B000NOU54O

Oh, I agree completely. As I said, any microscope, even a pocket model, is better than no microscope. The main issue with the Brock isn't its lack of a mechanical stage; it's that it has no turret, so you can't switch magnifications without physically changing objective lenses.

I understood the OP to mean that she had no microscope. If that's the case, buying a Brock would be a poor choice when there are many models that sell for about the same price (or significantly less) that do have turrets.

Even something like this would be, if not ideal, at least usable for a first year biology lab course.

http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Lab-Duo-Scope-Microscope/dp/B000NOU54O

You are right about the pain involved in changing magnification. And I would agree with you on buying something different if buying for high school when you don't have anything.

(On the other hand, I used to take our Brock to the beach in Hawaii so we could look at sand and stuff we found on the beach. That was only practical because of the robust nature of the scope. But then I'm more likely to have too much equipment than be picking just one.)

I do appreciate the suggestions of specific models that are economical and useful.

If you need lab suggestions you might look at this thread. There is a link for the free download of Robert Thompson's (a pp on this thread) latest book which is The Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Labs. I haven't looked at it since we were almost done with Biology before it came out, but having bought and read his Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Lab book for next year I am now a huge fan! You could look through his suggested labs, see what you can do without spending a fortune, then search for online versions of the others. It would be a great place to get an idea of what labs could be included in Biology! I bet you can come up with enough to call Biology a lab science without breaking the bank.

If you need lab suggestions you might look at this thread. There is a link for the free download of Robert Thompson's (a pp on this thread) latest book which is The Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Labs. I haven't looked at it since we were almost done with Biology before it came out, but having bought and read his Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Lab book for next year I am now a huge fan! You could look through his suggested labs, see what you can do without spending a fortune, then search for online versions of the others. It would be a great place to get an idea of what labs could be included in Biology! I bet you can come up with enough to call Biology a lab science without breaking the bank.

Oooh, I'd forgotten about that thread. There is a whole section on making Winogradsky columns to observe small pond life, which is something we saw years ago at a big science open house. Hmm, guess I need to start saving up my plastic bottles.

Incidentally, you needn't spend any money at all to get a top-notch biology curriculum. Visit CK-12.org and download their biology materials. They're completely free and of excellent quality. They also try to keep labs as inexpensive as possible.

Then take the money you didn't spend on SS or other commercial curriculum materials and buy an inexpensive microscope like the National Optical 109 and some prepared slides, blank slides and coverslips, and stains. When your son finishes biology, resell the microscope to another homeschooler here or elsewhere.

This is what we are using for our text. I printed out EVERYTHING: student book, workbook, teachers edition, and tests/quizzes. We aren't very far into it, only chap. 4, but my son loves it! Within the text there are lots of links to videos, pictures, and illustrations on the web.

I have not totally figured out what we will do for labs; I have been loaned a very old (?Bosch) microscope from a scientist friend -- I mean old in that it has no light source you have to use a mirror! We have not played much with it yet, because it's a pain to get it just right -- oh Home Scientist Guy -- any suggestions on how to make this one work for us???

~coffee~

That download is the raw manuscript. It's fine for getting a good idea of what the actual book will look like, but please don't bother printing it out or anything.

I just got the QC1 galley proofs of the book a couple hours ago. I have this week to go through and make edits and corrections, at which point it goes back to production to incorporate those changes. At that point, they'll produce a new PDF, the QC2 version, with all of the corrections made to put the book into its final form, I'll have a couple days to do a final read-through and make any last-minute corrections, and then the book will go to the printers. When that happens, I'll upload the QC2 PDF to my server, and provide a link to download it to anyone who emails me to ask for the link. In fact, you can do that now, if you wish. I'll keep a list of those requests and email everyone once the final version is available for download.

This is what we are using for our text. I printed out EVERYTHING: student book, workbook, teachers edition, and tests/quizzes. We aren't very far into it, only chap. 4, but my son loves it! Within the text there are lots of links to videos, pictures, and illustrations on the web.

I have not totally figured out what we will do for labs; I have been loaned a very old (?Bosch) microscope from a scientist friend -- I mean old in that it has no light source you have to use a mirror! We have not played much with it yet, because it's a pain to get it just right -- oh Home Scientist Guy -- any suggestions on how to make this one work for us???

~coffee~

There's nothing wrong with a microscope that uses a mirror for illumination. In fact, my first microscope, back in the 1960's was a first-rate Zeiss model that dated back to about WWI. It used a mirror. Someone gave it to me, which was wonderful because back then even student-grade microscopes were hideously expensive, and I couldn't afford one. I sold that microscope when I was in college and needed money for other science equipment. I wish I still had it.

The only downside to using a mirror is that you can't get much light with any mirror of practical size. That limits your maximum magnification in practical terms to 100X or 400X at most (and at 400X, things are *really* dim). I'd recommend using a high-intensity desk lamp, with the bulb as close as you can get it to the mirror.

My kids go to a standards-based school. My dd is doing Oak Meadow bio as a sophomore, doing a "lab" for every chapter. She is using OM's paper labs for about half of the chapters, and doing an online virtual lab for each of the other chapters (http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/genbio/virtual_labs/).

She is actually only doing the first half of the book (which correlates to our district's bio standards) and the district requires her to design and implement an experiment before she can pass the class. We looked up science fair projects for ideas, and I think she'll be building an electrophoresis machine and comparing DNA of different fruits. She is taking the "final" (series of assessments that cover the objectives for the course) this month.

Are you only concerned about the cost or does your ds dislike biology labs? I ask this because you can easily spend $0 for biology labs and do an absolutely excellent job. I have done 6 years of biology research and never once used a microscope or specimens.

Biology is a huge field and only a part of it uses a microscope. You could study: ecology, population dynamics, genetics, animal and plant diversity, evolution, even applied science like horticulture etc. Many of these fields use techniques rather than equipment (e.g., transects for counting organisms). You can also do dissections for cheap if you are interested. You just use organs from animals. You can get eyes, brains, kidneys, hearts, oysters, muscles, fish etc from your local butcher.

My ds(11) will be doing a science project this year that could easily count for a high school lab. He will be determining how the wave action affects the diversity of organisms within the tidal pools on a rocky beach. This project will take about 10 hours per week for 8 weeks.

If you are interested, I could help you think up some good, large projects to give your ds a wonderful, interesting research experience and would cost you nothing.

Ruth in NZ

<snip>If you are interested, I could help you think up some good, large projects to give your ds a wonderful, interesting research experience and would cost you nothing.

Ruth in NZ

Not the OP, but I'm interested! dd will do biology next year. I'd love to come up with an ongoing research project that she could "own." I don't think she'd be able or willing to put in anywhere near the kind of hours your son is planning on; I'm thinking either a couple of hours per week or a couple of weeks pretty much dedicated to the project.

fwiw, we live in near wetlands, swamp, and marshlands that we can get to on a weekly basis for a long project, or several times a week for a shorter project. We also have access to woods with a pond, a creek, various wildlife scat, and so on, but we can't get there on a weekly basis (but could be there for a week at a time). When the hunting's good, we have access to dead animals, :tongue_smilie:, but she has already begged for virtual dissections only. oh, and we could easily make room in the yard for a garden, terranium, whatever.

Any ideas??

Re microscopes, has this been posted yet? Virtual Microscope

We have never done any biology labs.

My kids have done well on the biology SAT-2, so the colleges knew that they had a decent bio background. But we are not biology-lovers and we just didn't.

My kids did do physics labs, and three of the four did chem labs, but I've never had a dead animal on my counter! :tongue_smilie:

My kids applied to and were accepted by several top-tier colleges. When my dd was considering not doing a fourth year of science, I called around and asked about science and if her not having a third year of a lab science would be a problem. We were told that the colleges (all LAC's) take homeschooled labs with a grain of salt and they really didn't care if she had two or three.

I would not assume that colleges don't care about labs, but at least some top-notch ones do not. (Though my kids had two science SAT-2's each, so it was obvious that they were capable science students.)

Not the OP, but I'm interested! dd will do biology next year. we live in near wetlands, swamp, and marshlands [snip] We also have access to woods with a pond, a creek, various wildlife scat, and so on, but we can't get there on a weekly basis (but could be there for a week at a time). [snip] and we could easily make room in the yard for a garden, terranium, whatever.

Ok, I will throw out a bunch of ideas and then you can narrow it down, and then I can give you some more details on just one or two projects.

Comparison projects are fun. How does the physical environment affect the diversity of fish (or insects, frogs, moss, flowers etc)? You just pick 2 types of environments to compare in the shade vs in the sun; or shallow vs deep; or closer to the ocean and tides vs further away with more fresh water. (then you replicate and have multiple sites within each category)

You can also just do a survey. What is the most common mushroom ? or tree or bird or insect or wildflower. Or draw a distribution and abundance map with how many of a type of organism in what locations within the area. If you have a microscope, you can collect water samples and survey the microscopic life. Or more advanced, you could study how trails affect the distribution of things like mushrooms or weed species because of people carrying the seeds/spores as they walk.

You could do a population dynamics project. How does weather affect the number of bees out collecting nectar? Or do different species of bee forage on different species of plants, or in different locations on the plant, or at different times in the day? or you can ask what affects the number of birds in a tree? or on a mud flat in an estuary?

You could study gardening. Which type of fertilizer promotes the best growth? How much do earth worms affect plant growth? Does the size of a seed influence its germination time or the rate of growth in the first few days?

You could also study how fast mould grows on different types of bread. Or how different storage methods retard mould growth.

You could also do more of an earth science project. You could dig a soil transect and compare soil layers in different locations (under trees vs in the grass). You could study the flow of water and how it affects the accumulation of sediment in your pond. These could be linked to biology by including the species in each location.

Ok, I could go on, but this is a start. Let me know what interests your dd.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

We put our energies into physics and chemistry labs here. Biology is our least favorite science & not one that either kid was going to pursue in college. Someone above linked the virtual biology labs that we used successfully for bio at home. No dissections (except an earthworm, and that made my dd gag so much that it really wasn't worth it!!) & just a little microscope work, though we studied many virtual dissections and slides.

Those virtual labs taught my kids how to set up an experiment, how to collect and analyze data, and how to interpret results, all higher order thinking skills. Our thinking was that if our kids changed their minds later on, they could pick up the skill of how to use a microscope fairly easily (though neither child ended up studying biology in college, despite being STEM majors).

As for college admissions, I was very straightforward in my course descriptions on my science classes, where I listed all the labs we did and the equipment we used. I listed all the virtual labs clearly as such. None of the selective colleges that my kids applied to either questioned us or complained about the lack of 'real' bio labs.

My philosophy was to pour our energies into the areas of study that the kids enjoyed and showed talents for; other areas were still covered though not always at the 'best and highest' levels possible. That's the beauty of homeschooling in my book!

Due to our circumstances last year -- husband in various hospitals, our family living in hotels and various boarding houses, etc., for the school year -- we were unable to do labs for the most part. We had Miller and Levine Biology, which enabled us to access their website. Their website had some virtual labs, and then I found a lot of other virtual labs on youtube, even labs on how to use a microscope, etc. We did a few simple labs at home, and took part in local science museum projects. It wasn't ideal; I think hands-on labs add so much to the course. But, it worked for us.

Ok, I will throw out a bunch of ideas <snip>

Ruth in NZ

Awesome, thank you! I'll let her read these and see what direction she wants to go in, and then pick your brain some more :D

We put our energies into physics and chemistry labs here. Biology is our least favorite science & not one that either kid was going to pursue in college. Someone above linked the virtual biology labs that we used successfully for bio at home. No dissections (except an earthworm, and that made my dd gag so much that it really wasn't worth it!!) & just a little microscope work, though we studied many virtual dissections and slides.

Those virtual labs taught my kids how to set up an experiment, how to collect and analyze data, and how to interpret results, all higher order thinking skills. Our thinking was that if our kids changed their minds later on, they could pick up the skill of how to use a microscope fairly easily (though neither child ended up studying biology in college, despite being STEM majors).

As for college admissions, I was very straightforward in my course descriptions on my science classes, where I listed all the labs we did and the equipment we used. I listed all the virtual labs clearly as such. None of the selective colleges that my kids applied to either questioned us or complained about the lack of 'real' bio labs.

My philosophy was to pour our energies into the areas of study that the kids enjoyed and showed talents for; other areas were still covered though not always at the 'best and highest' levels possible. That's the beauty of homeschooling in my book!

Hi Ruth,

Thank you very much for sharing all these wonderful scientific research ideas! I am new here and find this site very helpful! I have a 10 year gifted girl who has a very inquisitive mind and loves to explore nature. She goes to a local public school. She finds school science course very boring. Which science textbooks/programs would you recommend if we teach her at home (after school)? You mentioned your kids do Tarbuck Earth Science + Science Fair project, do you use any texts/sites for science fair project?

My daughter has been taking private lessons from an excellent violinist for 5 years, they have played all kinds of pieces. You mentioned ABRSM for violin, could you please provide the full name?

Interestingly, I notised your kids learn Mandarin, which is our first language at home :001_smile:

Amy

Ok, I will throw out a bunch of ideas and then you can narrow it down, and then I can give you some more details on just one or two projects.

Comparison projects are fun. How does the physical environment affect the diversity of fish (or insects, frogs, moss, flowers etc)? You just pick 2 types of environments to compare in the shade vs in the sun; or shallow vs deep; or closer to the ocean and tides vs further away with more fresh water. (then you replicate and have multiple sites within each category)

You can also just do a survey. What is the most common mushroom ? or tree or bird or insect or wildflower. Or draw a distribution and abundance map with how many of a type of organism in what locations within the area. If you have a microscope, you can collect water samples and survey the microscopic life. Or more advanced, you could study how trails affect the distribution of things like mushrooms or weed species because of people carrying the seeds/spores as they walk.

You could do a population dynamics project. How does weather affect the number of bees out collecting nectar? Or do different species of bee forage on different species of plants, or in different locations on the plant, or at different times in the day? or you can ask what affects the number of birds in a tree? or on a mud flat in an estuary?

You could study gardening. Which type of fertilizer promotes the best growth? How much do earth worms affect plant growth? Does the size of a seed influence its germination time or the rate of growth in the first few days?

You could also study how fast mould grows on different types of bread. Or how different storage methods retard mould growth.

You could also do more of an earth science project. You could dig a soil transect and compare soil layers in different locations (under trees vs in the grass). You could study the flow of water and how it affects the accumulation of sediment in your pond. These could be linked to biology by including the species in each location.

Ruth in NZ

Hi Ruth,

Thank you very much for sharing all these wonderful scientific research ideas! I am new here and find this site very helpful! I have a 10 year gifted girl who has a very inquisitive mind and loves to explore nature. She goes to a local public school. She finds school science course very boring. Which science textbooks/programs would you recommend if we teach her at home (after school)? You mentioned your kids do Tarbuck Earth Science + Science Fair project, do you use any texts/sites for science fair project?

My daughter has been taking private lessons from an excellent violinist for 5 years, they have played all kinds of pieces. You mentioned ABRSM for violin, could you please provide the full name?

Interestingly, I notised your kids learn Mandarin, which is our first language at home :001_smile:

Amy