Menu

Baby shower for second baby?

My sister wants to throw me a shower. This is my second baby, but first girl. There truthfully are some things we need, such as a double stroller, baby bath, clothing and new bedding, since none of the blankets/sheets/towels/washcloths/bottles survived my son's destructive first year, a move, and complete house remodel. :) Honestly,,though, I don't feel that I need another baby shower and haven't heard of people having more than one. My sister says that everyone does and it wont look like I am just asking for gifts, and that she really wants to do this. Should I just accept gratefully and limit invite

s to close friends and family, or invite everyone and be honest that I truly need some things for this baby? Is this common? She also suggested maybe a frozen meal shower, as I will have a c section and not a lot of help at home. What do you think?

Edited by MedicMom
because my phone has auto correct

I think the frozen meal shower is a good idea. You do not have a large gap in babies, which is usually the reason for a second shower. Most people feel they can use boy stuff for a girl, so one might think you could reuse stuff.

It is true that lots of people have second showers. I think I would only go with it if the second shower were a different group of people. Or I might go with it if someone unrelated (not my sister) was throwing, like my bookclub organized it as a surprise.

If you want to do a full shower only you can decide how you feel. I'm not sure how I respond to a shower invite from someone I gave a nice present to 2 years ago. I'd probably get something much cheaper than previously purchased. However, I would not mind attending a frozen meal shower because I would see the need for that.

With regard to some of your needs get on freecycle. I've seen double strollers on freecycle. The other thing is watch spring yard sales--at preschools/daycares. There are 2 preschools in my town famous for their spring yard sales. Families associated with the schools donate amazing equipment they've outgrown.

I think the frozen meal shower is a good idea. You do not have a large gap in babies, which is usually the reason for a second shower. Most people feel they can use boy stuff for a girl, so one might think you could reuse stuff.

It is true that lots of people have second showers. I think I would only go with it if the second shower were a different group of people. Or I might go with it if someone unrelated (not my sister) was throwing, like my bookclub organized it as a surprise.

If you want to do a full shower only you can decide how you feel. I'm not sure how I respond to a shower invite from someone I gave a nice present to 2 years ago. I'd probably get something much cheaper than previously purchased. However, I would not mind attending a frozen meal shower because I would see the need for that.

With regard to some of your needs get on freecycle. I've seen double strollers on freecycle. The other thing is watch spring yard sales--at preschools/daycares. There are 2 preschools in my town famous for their spring yard sales. Families associated with the schools donate amazing equipment they've outgrown.

:iagree::iagree:

Showers for every child were common when we lived in Utah. I never really got it, especially since people tended to have lots of kids close together. I understand in certain circumstances though. I would also understand if you were a really close friend and it was to be an intimate shower.

Due to a move and some circumstances it would be totally different people invited. I had a very small and quickly thrown together shower with my son because of pregnancy complications, which I think is factoring into my sister's desire to do this. I am really kind of leaning towards a freezer meal shower closer to my due date.

It's completely normal to me to have a shower for every baby. The kind changes--regular (gifts of clothes, diapers, etc.) for the 1st and whenever one of the opposite gender comes along, and "piggy bank" showers after the birth for the rest--shower with monetary contributions in a literal piggy bank or bottle or whatever. It's fun to celebrate a baby:D. If she wants to throw you a shower, just enjoy it.

:iagree::iagree:

Showers for every child were common when we lived in Utah. I never really got it, especially since people tended to have lots of kids close together. I understand in certain circumstances though. I would also understand if you were a really close friend and it was to be an intimate shower.

I love showers for EVERY baby, because sure, they don't need big stuff, but who doesn't need some onsies or diapers? Mainly I look at it as a fun time to celebrate mom and baby, play silly games, and have some cake.

My best friend is having her third child (first girl) in July. I am planning to throw her another shower just as I did for baby 2 (although she never had her shower for baby 1 as he came early and no one ever rescheduled it. She and I did not know each other very well at that time.).

My sister wants to throw me a shower. This is my second baby, but first girl. There truthfully are some things we need, such as a double stroller, baby bath, clothing and new bedding, since none of the blankets/sheets/towels/washcloths/bottles survived my son's destructive first year, a move, and complete house remodel. :) Honestly,,though, I don't feel that I need another baby shower and haven't heard of people having more than one. My sister says that everyone does and it wont look like I am just asking for gifts, and that she really wants to do this. Should I just accept gratefully and limit invite

s to close friends and family, or invite everyone and be honest that I truly need some things for this baby? Is this common? She also suggested maybe a frozen meal shower, as I will have a c section and not a lot of help at home. What do you think?

technically, family members aren't even supposed to host a shower.

so, call it something else.;)

I don't have a problem attending a shower for each baby and in my circles it can be common, because as you are learning, babies can be different genders (or different seasons), so their needs vary and one baby can destroy stuff.:glare:

I think the frozen food idea is brilliant! I would also suggest including the option of allowing people to contribute to a group gift (with just the names of those who contributed, not the amounts they contributed included on the card) such as a double stroller. (which you didn't need last time. ;))

best wishes on your new little one.:)

Edited by gardenmom5

With regard to some of your needs get on freecycle. I've seen double strollers on freecycle. .

yeah, I have a friend who got a really nice, newer double stroller on freecycle. then she found out why it was on freecycle (it was completely unwieldy.) and she was stuck with trying to get rid of it.

Frankly, I think showers for later babies are tacky and make the mom look greedy unless it is a "sprinkle" (consumable items only) or a remarriage situation.

I don't have a problem attending a shower for each baby and in my circles it can be common, because as you are learning, babies can be different genders (or different seasons), so their needs vary and one baby can destroy stuff.

I think the frozen food idea is brilliant! I would also suggest including the option of allowing people to contribute to a group gift (with just the names of those who contributed, not the amounts they contributed included on the card) such as a double stroller. (which you didn't need last time. )

best wishes on your new little one.

Frankly, I think showers for later babies are tacky and make the mom look greedy unless it is a "sprinkle" (consumable items only) or a remarriage situation.

I don't have a problem attending a shower for each baby and in my circles it can be common, because as you are learning, babies can be different genders (or different seasons), so their needs vary and one baby can destroy stuff.

I think the frozen food idea is brilliant! I would also suggest including the option of allowing people to contribute to a group gift (with just the names of those who contributed, not the amounts they contributed included on the card) such as a double stroller. (which you didn't need last time. )

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Pretend that this goes on for oh, 20 pages or so.

Done!! :tongue_smilie:

I had a shower for my 1st, 3rd and 4th babies. The 1st is obvious, the 3rd was my first girl and my 4th was after a divorce and remarriage, so it was the first shower for that side of the family. I love the idea of a frozen food shower! That would have been great after my emergency c-section! Congrats!!

My MIL threw me a shower for all three of my pregnancies and my kids are only 2 years apart. I don't think it is a big deal unless YOU were the one throwing it, kwim? My second was a boy, so I needed boy stuff and when my third was born, I had given nearly all of my girl stuff to friends and family that were having girls when I was having my boy. I wasn't in it for the gifts though, I just love the cake and hanging out! :) Most people bought things like diapers, baby wash, shampoo, wipes, etc., during the second and third.

:grouphug: I am so glad you have a sister wanting to help you! I would go for the shower and hope for some meals too, especially with a c section. I have 7 children and have had 1 big shower, 1 medium, and 1 tiny shower... people think I have all I need or just judge me I guess. I have had very few meals brought to me. Sometimes no meal or help at all, and that does hurt. I have thrown baby showers for people though because I know that having babies in different seasons, and having things wear out happens!

I am hoping to stock up on easy foods and freeze a few meals myself before I have our 8th and I am hoping for at least a donation of diapers but will get over it if nothing comes. This is my roughest pregnancy, and I am having a girl so I don't have any girl things left, as it has been 7 years and I gave most of it away. Little babies don't need too many clothes as fast as they grow, and I have learned to buy bedding that is for either one. I have loaned out and worn out some bedding and had to buy a set last time, so it should work, and I was given a double stroller once that never even got used. My husband smashed it in the back of the van and broke it:tongue_smilie:.

God bless you! ALL babies are a gift from God!

My sister threw me a baby shower for my 7th baby. I'd had an age gap of nearly 6 years between 6 and 7, and we were in a new church with a whole new group of friends who mostly didn't know us when we had our other kids. So, dear sis and another friend decided that a baby shower would be good. I was hesitant because it felt weird but.... it was lovely! And lots of people gave me lots of things that we no longer had.

I say let your sister bless you. :001_smile:

I do not think anything is unusual about a shower for a second child (or any subsequent children either!). It is a time for celebration, not just a time for gifts. :)

Most people want to do something for an expectant mom and having a shower makes it so much easier.

Showers (or at least a nice big basket of little gifts) for every baby is a fairly common occurance in my circles. :)

I love showers for EVERY baby, because sure, they don't need big stuff, but who doesn't need some onsies or diapers? Mainly I look at it as a fun time to celebrate mom and baby, play silly games, and have some cake.

:iagree: It's not like they're going to invite strangers who are going to be like who IS this greedy lady wanting gifts from us, right? (I mean that tongue in cheek of course, I do not by any means think anyone is "greedy" for allowing someone to host a shower for them to celebrate their baby)! I assume they are going to be inviting close family and friends who will actually care about and want to celebrate your impending arrival. If they don't feel the need to spend a lot on big gifts for a second, third, or whatever baby, they'll get something small, and I'm sure you'll be fine with that! If especially close family members want to know what you REALLY need and feel the need to buy that double stroller or whatever, they will, and that's fine, too!

Edited by NanceXToo