Menu

World War II books

What do you have your high school students read for World War II? (I am thinking fiction/drama here, not non-fiction.) There has to be something besides Diary of Anne Frank or The Hiding Place. I can think of a lot of great movies, but I am teaching a literatuare/history class and while I will assign one or two movies, we need to have a book as well.

thanks,

Kate in Seattle

Gunner's Run: A World War II Novel by Rick Barry

http://www.bjupress.com young adult book

It looks very good.

This one from Bethelem books is ages 10 and up but I'm going to have her read this also. Takes place in Holland(Nazi occupation). The Winged Watchman by: Hilda Van Stockum

Another from BJU Press for ages 9-12 but I think older should read this:

A Father's Promise by DonnaLynn Hess. I know a few of my boys read this in Christian school and really liked it.

She is also going to read Hitler's Cross by Erwin W. Lutzer about how the "Cross of Christ was used as a symbol of the Nazi Agenda". (non-fiction)

Pearl Harbor by Newt Gingrich and William R. Forstchen (non-fiction)

I would like to get 'Enemy Brothers' and 'The Small War of Sergeant Donkey'

Look at http://www.bethlehembooks.com

Hope This Helps you in some way. :)

Love Band of Brothers.

We read Parallel Journeys. It's a wonderful story of a boy indoctrinated into the Hitler Youth, and a young married woman sent to a concentration camp. They ended up speaking together after the war--he said he was as much a victim as she was. Very interesting.

In addition to the ones already mentioned, here are a few I have read:

Elie Wiesel, Night, Dawn, and Day (trilogy of Wiesel's experiences of the Holocaust. Night is quite a classic Holocaust memoir)

Evelyn Waugh, Sword of Honour trilogy (set in the Mediterranean and originally published in separate volumes as Officers and Gentlemen, Men at Arms, and Unconditional Surrender, but intended by Waugh to be read in a single volume)

Paul Watkins, The Forger (about an American art student in Paris pressed into service for the French resistance to forge artworks)

These are more thriller-type books than classic literature:

Alistair MacLean, The Guns of Navarone and its sequel, Force Ten from Navarone (there is a movie too)

Jack Higgins, The Eagle Has Landed and Sheba

Hope these are helpful :001_smile:

Anne

This probably does not answer your question for a high school book, but for anyone who enjoys good literature and desires a WWII backdrop, may I recommend Olivia Manning's cycle The Fortunes of War. Penguin sold the books in two volumes, The Balkan Trilogy and The Levant Trilogy. These six books focus on a group of English expatriates, beginning in Romania and following their movements as the war progresses. This is not war from the trenches but war from the viewpoint of those in the embassies, at universities and in areas of occupation.

They are among my favorite books and would be include on my top 100 hundred list of favorite novels. So how's that for a recommendation?

Jane

Schindler's List (Keneally) is a novel based on a true story. Along the same lines as Wiesel's memoirs (highly recommended!) are Primo Levi's Survival in Auschwitz and The Reawakening.

Scooting back to the K-8 board, now ... WWII was kinda my "thing" growing up.

Caine Mutiny, by Herman Wouk. My son just finished this and loved it, and he really hates reading fiction! I believe it won a Pulitzer when it was published. The movie is also a classic, with Humphrey Bogart as Captain Queeg. Herman Wouk also wrote The Winds of War.

My son also loved the graphic novel called Maus. It the true story of the author and his father's WWII experience as a Jew in Poland and in the concentration camps. The Jews are mice and the Nazis are cats, the Americans dogs. It also won a Pulitzer, and though it sounds simplistic to have such a story done in comic book form, it is quite powerful, and was considered ground breaking when it was published 20 years ago or so. You'll find it in the history section of your bookstore, not in the superhero section. You can find study guides and essays about it on-line.

I also highly recommend collections of Ernie Pyle's writings, though they may be out of print. It isn't fiction, but the stories he filed as a reporter from the front lines of Africa and Italy. Excellent writing.

Here are a few more:

Men at Arms by Evelyn Waugh

Bel Ria by Sheila Burnford -- definitely not a cute dog story.

And No Birds Sang by Farley Mowat -- a memoir rather than fiction; extraordinarily powerful.

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Corelli's Mandolin by Louis De Bernieres

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

I have read the Lewis and Clark book, and this was excellent. And I read his memoir. Also very good.

And my brother-in-law is an 8th grade American History teacher and he praises Stephen Ambrose's work.

The only thing I'm not sure of is the reading level.

Claire in NM

WWII historical fiction may be my favorite genre, and I've read and enjoyed a number of the books mentioned above... but many of them also have adult themes, so beware! Captain Corelli's Mandolin has a prominent story line dealing with a h*m*se*ual soldier as well as at least one very graphic war scene; A Town Like Alice has a main character get crucified, as well as an adult male-female scene; several of the main characters in "The Winds of War" and its sequel have extra-marital relationships or affairs as part of the main story line, and there's another post on this board I just read dealing with the graphic scenes in "Night." So you might want to pre-read anything not specifically intended for a younger audience.

Although Jeff Shaara's books aren't my personal faves, he writes knowing that teen readers are among his audience and I would feel fine with my teenage son reading any of his books. I remember reading "The Longest Day" by Cornelius Ryan (a D-Day epic) in high school and really enjoying it. I've recently read "Flyboys" and "Flags of our Fathers" by James Bradley and they were great. Bradley also wrote a young people's version of "Flags of Our Fathers", which tells the story of the six men raising the flag on Iwo Jima. I haven't read the young people's version, but I would think it edits out some of the graphic scenes (for example, one explicit scene in the adult book describes a soldier finding his friend who had been captured and tortured to death by the Japanese). I also liked "Rosa's Miracle Mouse: The True Story of a WWII Undercover Teenager"by Agnes Daluge. It's a fairly short autobiography of a German teen who spied for the Allied Forces as part of the Munich Underground, and it's a book you can read with teens or younger

• 1 month later...

Try Babi Yar, a wonderful and tragic book about living in Kyiv during the occupation. This book is about a lesser known part of the war as seen by a civilian in an occupied city. The book also speaks about the extermination camp at Babi Yar. Warning it is graphic.