Menu

For older parents dealing with unemployment....

Here is a great clip from a recent 60 Minutes episode called, "Trapped in Unemployment". If your spouse, a relative or a friend is facing the crisis of long term unemployment and is an older professional in their 40's or 50's, the clip will really hit home. Although there aren't complete answers offered in it, there are some great points covered and a ray of hope for this segment of society who's situation needs to be met.

Dh and I watched this with interest. He is 58 yo and has had struggles for ten years now since being displaced from high tech. He was a manager overseeing fifty employees and had been with the company for over a decade when he was displaced due to a company buy out. After nine months without a job, he then hired on with one of the major companies in high tech and was with them two years when massive layoffs ruined his chances to continue. After another year of unemployment and a long round of miscellaneous jobs to help fill in the gap, he finally turned to commercial driving. Unfortunately after having a minor stroke last year, dh lost his license to drive the big semis. This led to a transfer to a low paying job within the company (which was a complete disaster for him), and then finally another layoff last month. With all of this, dh has had the rug pulled out from under him by two industries. He is a good man with many strengths and abilities, a strong work ethic and years of experience. Yet he has fallen by the wayside and doesn't know what to do at this point.

If it weren't for our faith that has been an anchor through the storm, I know we would have given up long ago. Period.

It's so hard to reinvent your career in your 50's! I've seen my dh shovel bark mulch, run a mini-mart, market vinyl siding, work maintenance on a farm, sell cars -- any kind of work he could do while searching for work to match his skills, experience and ability. Our family (including an elderly parent and a 12 year old child) is very unsure of what will happen to us next. We're barely struggling to hold on to our home at this moment. We watched tho video and would do anything to have a program like this one in Conneticut. We live in a state where unemployment is 8.9% and a very strong age bias endures.

Anyone else relate to this?

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

It's so hard to reinvent your career in your 50's! I've seen my dh shovel bark mulch, run a mini-mart, market vinyl siding, work maintenance on a farm, sell cars -- any kind of work he could do while searching for work to match his skills, experience and ability. Our family (including an elderly parent and a 12 year old child) is very unsure of what will happen to us next. We're barely struggling to hold on to our home at this moment. We watched tho video and would do anything to have a program like this one in Conneticut. We live in a state, where unemployment is 8.9% and a very strong age bias endures.

Anyone else relate to this?

Blessings,

Lucinda

Try reinventing your career when you're over 60. :glare: Mr. Ellie has been out of work for almost a year (a few contract jobs, fixing computers for some friends, but that's it).

My father is going through this right now too. Well paid professional in a niche job, highly respected in his field, but now unemployed at 64. He has several applications in for jobs that SHOULD want to hire him, but don't probably due to age. He's thinking about going back to driving school bus, like he did when we were little kids. Its very hard. He needed a few more years of working full time to complete saving for retirement.

I knew this would connect with someone in the hive. What a sad state of affairs in our country! With so many people having run out of their employment benefits, they aren't even counted with the others when unemployment rates are calculated. Because of this, unemployment is really much higher than the reports tell us.

Try reinventing your career when you're over 60. :glare: Mr. Ellie has been out of work for almost a year (a few contract jobs, fixing computers for some friends, but that's it).

I hear you! Dh is nearly 60 as well. Very painful....

My father is going through this right now too. Well paid professional in a niche job, highly respected in his field, but now unemployed at 64. He has several applications in for jobs that SHOULD want to hire him, but don't probably due to age. He's thinking about going back to driving school bus, like he did when we were little kids. Its very hard. He needed a few more years of working full time to complete saving for retirement.

Yes, but at least he does have savings set aside even though not as much as he'd like to have. Thank goodness for that! Many people have their savings wiped out completely and won't have any at all for retirement. I do hope all works out well for your dad.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

:grouphug: btdt - age discrimination is alive and well no matter how illegal it might be. dh started his own business. He's happier now than he ever was before, and making more money.

maybe one day we'll make back all the damage.

Edited by gardenmom5

I can sure relate! Dh was unemployed from 3/2001 to 12/2002--21 months. He was laid off in the spring but had numerous interviews lined up for the usual after-summer hiring wave in mid-to-late September 2001, and then 9/11 hit. All hiring came to a screeching halt.

Two entire industries imploded in our region (IT, telecom) and the airlines, a huge employment engine in this region, took a very hard hit.

Unemployment benefits only lasted for 26 weeks at that time, but Bush extended them another 13 weeks.

By God's grace, prior to the layoff, we had moved but not bought a house. I joke (morbidly) that we "ate our house", so we did not starve. The recommended six month emergency fund was, of course, inadequate even though we were extremely frugal.

The job dh was finally able to land was only a bit over half his former salary.

We moved to take care of dh's elderly father in his home, so God blessed us both--us with an inexpensive roof over our heads, and my FIL with company and someone to care for him. (FIL's doctor told me later when he passed that she was sure that our being there prolonged his life by at least two years. That affirmation was a balm to my heart.)

However, what we did not know was that God was using all this to provide for needs we did not even know were coming up. During the time we cared for my FIL, two of my kids were diagnosed with dyslexia: one is profoundly dyslexic and one has multiple LDs; yet both are bright, so remediation was a must. It cost $$$ to pay for the hours and hours of remediation (language therapy)they needed. Had we been paying a mortgage, we would not have had funds available to pay for their tutoring. Unemployment was the tool God used to put us in the right place so we could pay for what they needed. Our retirement has suffered tremendously, but my guys are on solid footing.

Dh has done well in his company, but times are tough and there is no guarantee that his job will continue to be available. I'm pondering what to do for my next career, as I've about worked myself out of a job. ; )

All that is to say that I *now* see what I could only cling to by faith at that time--that God had not abandoned us, and that He would provide for our needs.

I pray that God would lead, provide for, and protect all those who are unemployed and their families.

ETA: that video was amazing. You can feel the compassion and determination of the man heading that program. What a great guy!

I pray that God would lead, provide for, and protect all those who are unemployed and their families.

ETA: that video was amazing. You can feel the compassion and determination of the man heading that program. What a great guy!

Yes, I was so touched by and encouraged by Mr. Carbone's compassion and his convictions to do what he can to right this wrong in America. We need more people like him in leadership who care and are willing to be part of the solution.

It's hard for anyone to find jobs in the UK at the moment, so I don't know how much is to do with his age. He's done a little consulting work, but that's it. I'm looking for a better paying job too - no luck so far.

Laura

It is interesting to consider the cultural similarities and differences and how they compare on this issue. I'd be curious to learn more about age bias around the world and how it compares to the U.S.

I know for myself that when I was younger I could get nearly any job I went after. As an older adult I'm finding it isn't that easy, even with years of experience and finely tuned skills. I do believe that there is a very strong bias against older adults in the workplace, although I'm not sure why other than the fact that technology is moving so much faster than it was and many of us have either lost interest or the energy it takes to keep up. At any rate, I've seen a lot of prejudice over the years through my dh's experience. It's like a giant elephant in the room nearly everywhere he's gone.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We have not had to go through this yet, but it is constantly on my mind, and on my husband's. He is 51 years old, and he knows that if he loses his job it will be extremely difficult to find a new one. We live in such a youth-centered culture -- even middle-aged people are considered to be "over the hill."

My father has been out of work for almost a year now. He was 63 when he suddenly lost his job running very high-tech equipment that no one else in his department knew how to run. We figured it was due to his age and health problems.

He just told us last night that he is bringing home more money collecting unemployment and disability than he did when he was working. :glare:

He has been substitute teaching and tutoring to give him something worth while to do. He has never been happier in his life.

We are in this situation right now. My dh is a professional in his early 50s and we still have three children at home. Our youngest is 5. DH lost his job six months ago and hasn't had a single interview in his field. He's done some contract work and dumpster dives for scrap metal, but I think he's going to have to expand his options.

2+ years here, and it hasn't gotten any easier. It's worse when the benefits run out...ds 1 did not return to school this year because of it. Hopefully, things will look better soon.

The important thing is that my dh has immersed himself in ds2 homeschooling, and I love him more today than the first day I met him.

My dad (who happens to be in a very comfortable position financially) just won a highly political trial in Germany against his former employer (a HUGE company) - for discrimation of age. He had to stop working at 62, based on laws that have been revised since...

In my dad's case it was actually the union preventing longer employment - how crazy is that??? They would rather kick out the old guys (few votes) than risk the support of a whole younger generation at the doorstep...

It is quite disgusting!

I am happy for my dad. The outcome for my parents is the difference between a comfortabe and a very comfortable retirement... The significance of the trial is potentially much more crucial to many others, though!

Edited by sahm99
Spelling...

My dad (who happens to be in a very comfortaby position financially) just won a highly political trial in Germany against his former employer (a HUGE company) - for discrimation of age. He had to stop working at 62, based on laws that have been revised since...

In my dad's case it was actually the union preventing longer employment - how crazy is that??? They would rather kick out the old guys (few votes) than risk the support of a whole younger generation at the doorstep...

It is quite disgusting!

I am happy for my dad. The outcome for my parents is the difference between a comfortabe and a very comfortable retirement... The significance of the trial is potentially much more crucial to many others, though!

That's a great story! I think that kind of discrimination exists in the U.S. too although it's not written in to law. As bad as that sounds, I think it's even worse that people are being discriminated against during the application process and never even get a chance to get hired.

Blessings,

Lucinda