Menu

My only problem with Zumba

I love Zumba. I love the upbeat rhythms, the excitement, the way I'm exercising without feeling like I"m exercising. . . But I had on the Zumba channel on Pandora and my kids were shocked at some of the lyrics. It's true - many of the songs are sexy songs.

Here's just the refrain from one song: (not too bad but not going along with our family values, iykwim:

She's hot, she's blazin everybody wants her name and

I got to get her home with me tonight

I got to get that girl in my life

So what do you think? In one sense I have no trouble dancing to it because I'm an adult and I know that I'm not turned on by the lyrics. But my kids know that I dance to these and while they think it's embarrassing now, at some point dd might want to come do Zumba too.

Well, a LOT of churches do Zumba classes.

So I'm assuming there are some out there that aren't so risque. My zumba class is at church - we do a few of the salsa-type zumba songs, some Christian music (not necessary if it isn't a class at a church), and some secular music that isn't questionable (in the sexu@l way).

ETA: Hot Z Team or ReFit Dance Fitness on youtube

Edited by PeacefulChaos

I love Zumba. I love the upbeat rhythms, the excitement, the way I'm exercising without feeling like I"m exercising. . . But I had on the Zumba channel on Pandora and my kids were shocked at some of the lyrics. It's true - many of the songs are sexy songs.

Here's just the refrain from one song: (not too bad but not going along with our family values, iykwim:

I got to get her home with me tonight

I got to get that girl in my life

So what do you think? In one sense I have no trouble dancing to it because I'm an adult and I know that I'm not turned on by the lyrics. But my kids know that I dance to these and while they think it's embarrassing now, at some point dd might want to come do Zumba too.

I haven't done Zumba so I don't know how it works, but I have heard a little about it that the songs are all Salsa?? If so could you just put on salsa songs in Spanish to Zumba to??

I haven't done Zumba so I don't know how it works, but I have heard a little about it that the songs are all Salsa?? If so could you just put on salsa songs in Spanish to Zumba to??

Sure, if I was Zumbaing at home. And if I'm just listening to Zumba type music at home too. (It's not just salsa, there is a bit of Bollywood and hip hop mixed in too.) But I go to work out and do Zumba at the Y. The instructor chooses the play list.

Sure, if I was Zumbaing at home. And if I'm just listening to Zumba type music at home too. (It's not just salsa, there is a bit of Bollywood and hip hop mixed in too.) But I go to work out and do Zumba at the Y. The instructor chooses the play list.

Oh I see. Maybe you can make her a cd. ;) hehehe Oscar d'Leon has some nice salsa songs in Spanish. :)

Probably half of our Zumba songs are in Spanish....so I don't know what the lyrics are. Our instructor is in her late 40's, so she may be chosing playlists that are different than an instructor in her 20's. There are a few she's chosen that make me go :001_huh: ....like Raise Your Glass and Bad Romance....but why do those have the most fun dance routines??

Probably half of our Zumba songs are in Spanish....so I don't know what the lyrics are. Our instructor is in her late 40's, so she may be chosing playlists that are different than an instructor in her 20's. There are a few she's chosen that make me go :001_huh: ....like Raise Your Glass and Bad Romance....but why do those have the most fun dance routines??

Most of ours are in Spanish too. And many of the ones who use English are not totally understandable to me! It actually didn't bother me in the class - I'm way too busy trying to keep up with the instructor and not fall over! It was only when I played some of the music at home and saw my children's reaction that I started to feel a bit conflicted.

I wouldn't worry about it. The kids will hear a lot worse than that on the car radio. Suggestive songs are everywhere, so kids are going to be exposed to them, anyway, and I doubt they'll have any real issue with your workout music if you don't make a big deal out of it or specifically draw their attention to the lyrics.

When I've done Zumba at the Y, none of the lyrics are in English.

Our Y is pretty sensitive to making sure no one gets offended by things. They've locked down the TVs so no one can change the stations, for example. So it's possible they've chosen to keep the lyrics in a language other than English to keep from offending people. (Although, given the number of Spanish speakers at our Y, there've got to be some people who can understand them.)

My guess is that just mentioning this to the teacher or the management might be enough to get things changed.

Are you bringing your kids to Zumba? Or just feeling bothered now that you've given it a good listen? If you're bringing the kids, I'd think the people in charge might want to make things more, um, wholesome.

Actually, what really bothers me is the decibel level. My daughter won't do Zumba anymore. It was hurting her ears -- and we were wearing ear plugs.

Are you bringing your kids to Zumba? Or just feeling bothered now that you've given it a good listen? If you're bringing the kids, I'd think the people in charge might want to make things more, um, wholesome.

The latter. My kids wouldn't be caught dead at Zumba right now. They think it is very embarrassing that their mother is dancing in public! We do have kids there, though - technically you have to be 8 to come but some of the kids look younger. I doubt that their parents care though since these kids have been coming for some time.

If you are going to listen and do it at home, find music tou are okay with the kids hearing. If they are not going to the Y with you, don't worry about what is played. There are great songs for Zumba that are family friendly, but the instructor has to care about the music selection. Many are not dancers or choreographers, they take the music and choreo that Zumba sends them each month. If you are taking from a dancer, you may get better music.

Actually, what really bothers me is the decibel level. My daughter won't do Zumba anymore. It was hurting her ears -- and we were wearing ear plugs.

Really??? Oh, that's just awful. What a shame. I'm so glad ours isn't that loud.

The latter. My kids wouldn't be caught dead at Zumba right now. They think it is very embarrassing that their mother is dancing in public! We do have kids there, though - technically you have to be 8 to come but some of the kids look younger. I doubt that their parents care though since these kids have been coming for some time.

Both my dd's are hooked on Zumba as much as I am. My 8 year old has been going for almost a year. She knows more of the moves and routines than a lot of us there. She has been the only kid that has ever come. She figures by the time she is her the age of her sister she can take over running the class. :lol: The other day she was doing Shadow Zumba at home (her latest invention).

Both my dd's are hooked on Zumba as much as I am. My 8 year old has been going for almost a year. She knows more of the moves and routines than a lot of us there. She has been the only kid that has ever come. She figures by the time she is her the age of her sister she can take over running the class. :lol: The other day she was doing Shadow Zumba at home (her latest invention).

We have a ten year old at our Zumba class who takes over sometimes when the instructor gets tired. She's really good!

Yup. The music is typical. My kids and I have taken a few Zumba classes at the local gym and the instructor does tone down the music for the family Zumba session.

I always tell my kids and myself that the kind of music that you are describing is everywhere. I was in Harris Teeter (a grocery store here) and "Moves Like Jagger" was playing:D It is played in abundance at the skating rink, the skate park, the mall, and so many other places.

We try hard to balance our music. After we have been hit hard with suggestive lyrics I will put on a Contemporary Christian CD. Maybe you could listen to some Steven Curtis Chapman or Third Day on the way home from your class. Just a thought.

What about Zumba for the Wii? Does that have cleaner lyrics? Anyone know?

Well, not really.

I got upset at the song Pause because it is censored just the tiniest bit at class, but not on the Wii. It wasn't how I preferred dd to know that a bra can be unsnaped by someone's teeth. :D

PS, I think I have Zumba 2.

Yup. The music is typical. My kids and I have taken a few Zumba classes at the local gym and the instructor does tone down the music for the family Zumba session.

I always tell my kids and myself that the kind of music that you are describing is everywhere. I was in Harris Teeter (a grocery store here) and "Moves Like Jagger" was playing:D It is played in abundance at the skating rink, the skate park, the mall, and so many other places.

We try hard to balance our music. After we have been hit hard with suggestive lyrics I will put on a Contemporary Christian CD. Maybe you could listen to some Steven Curtis Chapman or Third Day on the way home from your class. Just a thought.

Good points. I have Zumba tonight! I really do love the exercise of Zumba. We had one instructor who majored on the sexier dance moves but I've noticed that she's toned it down significantly lately. I wonder if someone complained to the Y. That had bothered me some before so I'm glad that she's toned it down.

I found this Zumba website to do at home because I'm a Klutz! I like that it's Christian music. Maybe some of you will enjoy it also. On the left hand side there's a link to their videos. Enjoy

http://devotedfitness.com/default.aspx

Edited by AmyontheFarm
It helps if I actually add the link!