Menu

Two dogs killed three of my six hens and tried to get our ducks.

They couldn't get into the duck cages because they are a heavier gauge wire.

We just put our other three hens out at a friend's house in her barn. She was very sweet and put them in a separate stall so her roosters won't bother them as new girls in the "harem" have a tendency to get quite a lot of unwanted attention. She has an Akbash guard dog - wonderful to humans, highly instinctual concerning what should and should not be in the barn - who sleeps there at night. She also has five llamas. So, even if the dogs make it to her property, her stock should be okay. Unfortunately, she doesn't also have room for all six of my ducks.

The dogs did not attempt to eat them. It was pure viciousness - shook my hens until they broke their necks. The pen was hard to get into and the dogs actually hurt their mouths ripping it open and left a small trail of blood heading off the property that then fades out so we can't track them very far. Word on the street the other day was that a woman and her 2 year old grandchild were trapped in their car in the driveway when they arrived home to find these dogs had wandered into the front yard. The neighbor rescued her.

Another farm, a few miles over, has lost six chickens and three lambs...I have to tell you, I've seen this kind of thing before and to be honest, seeing a baby lamb killed by wild dogs rips your heart out. He called dispatch who said he should try to catch the dog and take care of it because it was a five day wait for animal control to answer a call. :001_huh:

The boys and I are carrying axes when we go outside. I have no intention of being caught unaware. To be honest, I'm so livid, grieved, and primitive at this time, I almost wish the dogs come back and give me the opportunity to do them in...I guess the mamma bear in me extended to my hens as well.

Sigh....I am head over heels in love with our bantum show ducks. If I wake up in the morning to find they've been murdered, I have a feeling my need to seek and destroy will intensive exponentially. Thankfully, my dad and one of his buddies are going to attempt to track the dogs as we are getting a fresh snow and that makes it easier. Our very awesome friend, the retired sheriff of our county, is going to help with that project. I hope they find these animals. This kind of thing escalates once a dog decides to behave in such manner and there are children waiting for the school bus everyday in this community and walking home from the drop-point...they've got nothing but backpacks with them and would not be any match for two large, powerful, vicious dogs.

I think I'll just be queasy as well as grouchy for the rest of the evening.

Faith

A gun would be better than an axe, for you and the dogs.

Sorry about your hens. I'd he sick if something got my little silkies. I'd be tempted to let my ducks sleep in a dog container at night till they are caught.

I would carry one if I knew how to use it! However, I've never gotten into it. Dh is going to keep watch and he's got the rifle out. Since I have never handled a gun a day in my life, I think I had better stick with the axe and the boys need their hatchets so they have something to fend off an attack as well.

We are trying to round up some cages for the ducks and we'll put them inside our woodshed for the night. However, I don't know how long we can do this. Our chickens were killed in broad daylight when we weren't here. My ducks won't be healthy if I keep them locked up in a dark woodshed for weeks on end. I'm hoping the hunting party finds the buggers and puts them down soon.

Thanks everyone,

Faith

We are on a 14 day waiting list. Our county is in dire financial straits. The animal control office is only open four hrs. two days per week. They actually expect people to catch the animal and care for it until they show up!

So, we've reported it, per our duty. But, beyond that, it's up to everyone with hunting rifles to take care of the problem themselves. Private citizens will have to take care of it because the loss of livestock is bad enough, but a grandma and child being cornered is a lot worse.

The ducks are inside for now, but they'll need to go out in the morning. Dh will be home all day with the boys. However, we can't be home every moment and so I really hope that the dad and his friends manage to find the dogs.

Faith

We had this happen once except it was my neighbor that lost all their chickens. My boys had forgotten to let ours out - and I was never so thankful they forgot a chore!

When I called animal control they told me to shoot the dogs. It's perfectly legal if the dog is attacking livestock.

Incidentally, in one of my more "stupid" moments of life I actually went over to the dogs to try to catch them first - prior to calling anyone. They were dalmatians, so I thought they might be owned by someone who wanted them back. One of them lunged at me. I instinctively raised my boot and caught it in the mouth and the dog backed off. IF the dog hadn't backed off, I don't think I'd be here typing this. I'll never do that again. A dog that kills in an uncontrolled pack mentality is a dangerous dog to anyone.

Shoot them if you see them.

Incidentally, in one of my more "stupid" moments of life I actually went over to the dogs to try to catch them first - prior to calling anyone. They were dalmatians, so I thought they might be owned by someone who wanted them back. One of them lunged at me. I instinctively raised my boot and caught it in the mouth and the dog backed off. IF the dog hadn't backed off, I don't think I'd be here typing this. I'll never do that again. A dog that kills in an uncontrolled pack mentality is a dangerous dog to anyone.

Not for you in particular, but for anyone reading -- the kind of person who lets their dogs run loose if there's even a HINT of them roaming is the sort of person who will continue to do it even if you trap and return the dogs with a stiff warning and a bill for the livestock.

You're better off shooting.

The dogs did not attempt to eat them. It was pure viciousness - shook my hens until they broke their necks.

How horrible, but I would call it instinct, not pure viciousness. The man who was grabbed by a lion (which was shot and he lived) said that the shaking was a kindness. The moment he'd been shaken he was awake but "stunned" and felt no pain and no desire to struggle. Nature has animals do that do that the victim won't peck the eye out, etc., of the predator.

After these dogs are taken care of, perhaps a spay and neuter campaign. Could you talk to the local paper?

How horrible, but I would call it instinct, not pure viciousness. The man who was grabbed by a lion (which was shot and he lived) said that the shaking was a kindness. The moment he'd been shaken he was awake but "stunned" and felt no pain and no desire to struggle. Nature has animals do that do that the victim won't peck the eye out, etc., of the predator.

After these dogs are taken care of, perhaps a spay and neuter campaign. Could you talk to the local paper?

Yes, you are right. They weren't being vicious per se. The shaking was merciful. I was just MAD. But, they weren't hungry either so they were killing just to kill and the fact that at least one dog actually hurt itself getting into the coop and that didn't stop it, despite not being hungry, makes me think the absolute worst of what they are capable of.

Our biggest issue at present is that this area is seeing a HUGE foreclosure rate. The market for that hasn't bottomed out yet. So, what has happened is that a large of number of animals are just being dropped off...let loose. People can't take them with them to whatever rental they are going to....you are VERY hard pressed in this area to find a rental that will allow you to have a cat or dog. It's kind of a desperation thing. Now, these dogs, according to the neighbors who have also seen them, are not starving by any stretch. Therefore, we don't think they are abandonded animals. But, the sheer number of abandoned animals is staggering for this county. Since the county is in such horrible financial shape, rounding them up and either putting them down, or spay/neuter isn't going to happen...no money for it. The sheriff's department and state police have taken to shooting dogs inside the city limits where it is illegal for regular citizens to do it because of shooting ordinances...it really isn't safe with the houses so close together. So, the police, knowing that animal control isn't coming out, does it themselves.

Faith - thanks everyone...I'm trying to feel better about the whole thing. I think the burning hatred towards the dogs has now ebbed into acceptance and just a strong desire to see the situation taken care of before it escalates.