Menu

You don't need toys....

....you only need a _______!

You've all heard this sentence completed with the words "cardboard box". Well, not in my house! We finish that sentence with "set of paper cups". They have been the hit "toy" at our house for about a month now!

DS has been in DD's room building with them for the last 30+ min.

post-14952-13535086262003_thumb.jpg

Give him some ping pong balls and show him

. (If you've seen the video before, this one cuts at the end just before the celebration that includes a distant profanity.)

My boys spent hours building courses last summer. ETA: And when I looked for the video, I showed it to them. I just spent fifteen minutes standing in the doorway while ds9 tried tossing a pong pong ball over his shoulder into my coffee. :D

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch

An onion. When he was very young, our son became fixated on an (well, he thought it was the same one; we secretly switched it out every few days before it started sprouting) onion. He'd roll it around the house, tie a string to it and pull it behind him, or just take it to bed with him. Calvin had Calvinball, but we had Onionball.

So what do your kids do with the PVC piping? I'm intrigued!

Really big tinker toys, basically. They make the structure of a fort and hang blankets on it. . . when dd was a baby we made two triangular shapes, put a pipe across and would hang her toys on it. We'd put that over her baby seat so that she had stuff to play with. Today they were tormenting the dogs by making noise through the pipes while the dogs try to figure out who's making the noises.

...the contents of the recycle bin. Seriously, when I cleaned out the basement play area yesterday, I found about 8 cardboard boxes I thought had gone to the recycling ages ago. Plus a bunch of plastic fruit containing things - two for apples from the Costco.

The PVC thing is really cool. We made this kid wash thing from Family Fun last year after ds saw it in the magazine and was in heaven wanting to do it (it wasn't too expensive either, I must add). It got used many times, but by the end of August, they'd taken apart and the pieces are still back there and they build things with the PVC pipes. The play area at our church had to be taken down and won't be rebuilt for many years and I suggested that with the (very limited) money that's for the interim that we buy a bunch of PVC pipes and pool noodles. It was not met with approval. Adults have such a lack of imagination!

....you only need a _______!

You've all heard this sentence completed with the words "cardboard box". Well, not in my house! We finish that sentence with "set of paper cups". They have been the hit "toy" at our house for about a month now!

DS has been in DD's room building with them for the last 30+ min.

That's a great set up! Wow!

(My 2 year old stacks rolls of toilet paper. Yep: raids the closet storage. SO glad dh likes to buy in bulk. :glare: Sigh.)

The play area at our church had to be taken down and won't be rebuilt for many years and I suggested that with the (very limited) money that's for the interim that we buy a bunch of PVC pipes and pool noodles. It was not met with approval. Adults have such a lack of imagination!

That's such a shame. The kids would have such a good time!