Menu

Does all stevia taste the same?

I'm trying to cut calories but the stuff in yellow and blue packets gives me headaches if I use it too much. I'm trying to use stevia but the one I have at home just doesn't taste good to me. (Stevia in the raw) I'm using one packet of stevia and one teaspoon of sugar and that's ok but I'd love to cut the sugar totally.

Would another brand taste better? Or all they all pretty much the same?

Try NuNaturals pure stevia without any bulking agent or maltodextrin added. It is expensive but it is pure stevia and you really only need a tiny pinch in things so it goes a long way. That brand is my personal favorite and the least bitter of the stevia brands IME. FWIW, I don't like stevia in hot beverages, even though I've been using it for years and don't mind it in most things now. I drink my coffee unsweetened now (I just use half and half or cream), and never did learn to like stevia in coffee.

When I bake and need the bulking of sugar, I use erythritol and stevia together. Erythritol is only about 70% as sweet as sugar, and when combined with stevia there is synergy. Each enhances the sweetness of the other. That might be something else to try. I prefer using my own products vs. Truvia. I buy erythritol from Global Sweet because their erythritol is non GMO.

Edited by Momof3littles

I'm trying to cut calories but the stuff in yellow and blue packets gives me headaches if I use it too much. I'm trying to use stevia but the one I have at home just doesn't taste good to me. (Stevia in the raw) I'm using one packet of stevia and one teaspoon of sugar and that's ok but I'd love to cut the sugar totally.

Would another brand taste better? Or all they all pretty much the same?

I prefer the liquid stevia. The packets aren't all the same. Some have extra ingredients like erythritol. I think that's what the taste is from.

I find it depends upon what you are putting it in. I like stevia in lemonade and coffee. But, I can't stand it in anything else. I wonder if it is the acid or the strong taste in those 2 drinks that make it okay for me. I've not tried the flavored liquids so I can't comment on those.....

Stevia is so powerful (a tiny bit has the sweetness of a MUCH larger amount of sugar) that many companies add filler. This will account for the variations in taste.

Many times when something sweetened with stevia doesn't taste right, it's because too much stevia was added. Too much and it can taste bitter.

Our main stevia is Stevia Glycerite by NOW Foods. It has no aftertaste and is quite inexpensive. We also use Sweetleaf stevia (various flavors) and Truvia or other "crystallized" stevia when bulk is needed for certain recipes.

(Mine says Stevia Glycerite. I'm not sure if the ones on amazon that now say Stevia Extract are the same or not.)

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Stevia-Extract-Ounces/dp/B0013OUULG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1328305054&sr=8-6

They are not all the same.

My personal favorite is SweetLeaf - I use the liquids (they have some yummy flavors), as well as the packets, tabs (very handy), and the straight stuff (this mostly only for baking when I'd need a ton of the packets).

I have heard from many other people that they really like NuNaturals.

I'd try one of those two. They were both out before stevia was approved as a sweetener, and they were only sold in health food stores, so they don't have any added cr*ppy ingredients. This is sadly not true for some of the commercial brands that have come out since the FDA approval (Truvia, Stevia in the Raw). I don't even like Whole Foods or TJ's brands, because they both add silica. Silica? Really? Icko.

I use Trader Joe's Organic 100% pure stevia extract. It was the first and only stevia product I tried. I like it - it only takes a tiny scoop to sweeten a cup of tea. It's about $10 for the bottle (with 622 tiny scoop servings!)

I am so glad you reminded me of this! I first used that years ago, but have since forgotten about it, as it's only convenient to go to TJ's a couple times a year. However, as non-impressed as I've been with Truvia, Sun Crystals, etc. I think a trip to TJs is in order!