Menu

B-day party favors ? and gifts for the birthday girl

Against my better judgement, I am planning a B-day party for Dd who will be 10. I'd like to do my best not to perpetuate adding clutter to my home and the homes of others. Any one have ideas for the following.....

Party Favors:

Which would you rather your child of 10-11 come home with...

1. Bag of candy, pencil, cheap little notepad, small figure related to theme

2. small plush animal

3. Non fiction book (with very good info) related to the theme (I found them for $3 each online), probably this is about all I could manage with a possibility of 9 children coming.

I guess I'm tired of the same old silly favors. I'm open to suggestions for items that don't end up in the trash.

Gifts for B-day girl:

We (Dd included) really don't want more little things cluttering up our house. How can we minimize this? We'd really be happy if there were no gifts involved. Any ideas? Is it tacky to ask for gift cards only to specific places?

I read a suggestion earlier to make the party a book exchange. I like this idea, but there are several non readers (meaning they don't enjoy reading) and slow readers in the group, so I'm not sure this is a good idea.

When we have tried gift-free parties, some people always bring something and then the people who don't bring gifts feel odd.

How about requesting recycled gifts only?

For a party favor, how about if the kids make slime at the party and take that home in a plastic baggy? Or, just don't do party favors. :) Kids don't really need to take anything home.

I'd tend to go for 1 but without the notepad or figure.

I've done a small book with a booklight as party favors before (you can get small booklights at a dollar-type store). I think it's a good take home gift- even if someone already has the book. They can always trade with someone else or just pass the book on to someone else. It's a great thought IMO.

Jodie

If your DD really doesn't want gifts, could she ask that in lieu of presents, guests contribute to a cause she cares about? You could collect food for a food pantry, supplies for an animal shelter, or make a monetary donation to another cause.

I personally like the book idea as party favors, but if several of the girls don't enjoy reading, that's going to take up just as much space as junky doo-dads. If you don't have a lot of allergies in the group, could you do decorate your own cookies, candies, or cupcakes as dual activity and favor?

I like the idea of 3, but again, you don't if all of the girls are readers or if they have the book already or have read it. It could end up as clutter too. I actually think #1 has a little less clutter. My kids love little notebooks and fill them up. I would not do the figure though.

I have started doing school supply bags for party favors. I buy during the BTS sales. I fill a party bag with a pack of pencils, crayons, glue, markers or highlighters, erasers, etc, whatever I get cheap.

Another party idea I like is to make a little bag of food. I have done popped popcorn in a pretty bag with a pretty ribbon with a little m&ms mixed in.

I have been to a party where a mom went to Sams and bought big boxes of microwave popcorn, packs of crackers, and juice boxes. Nothing but stuff that will be used up and thrown away! I loved it.

I like consumable favors. A giant cookie or a craft project that the kids made while at the party. I might have to be committed if dd comes home with anymore plush.

As for the no gifts-people will want to bring something. Last year friends of ours collected new and unwrapped toys to donate.

Could you do a gift exchange type of thing? Everyone brings something wrapped and then everyone gets to choose something to unwrap and have? Because that's kind of the sentiment behind party favors- a gift for everyone who comes. Perhaps you can phrase it so it doesn't sound as if you're trying to cheap out and not buy favors- and I actually like that the birthday girl doesn't walk away with tons of gifts and the guests go home with a trinket.

Could you do a gift exchange type of thing? Everyone brings something wrapped and then everyone gets to choose something to unwrap and have? Because that's kind of the sentiment behind party favors- a gift for everyone who comes. Perhaps you can phrase it so it doesn't sound as if you're trying to cheap out and not buy favors- and I actually like that the birthday girl doesn't walk away with tons of gifts and the guests go home with a trinket.

I really like this idea. Going to run it by Dc and Dh.

One idea that we did at my daughter's last birthday (she turned 11) was to paint picture frames. Then I had a picture of the girls taken together and gave them each a copy for the frame.

Another time, the party had a cooking theme (the girls made their own lunch) and sent them home with aprons and a potholder.

Linda

My dd went to a party where they painted plant pots and planted seeds in them, and that was the favour.

We just don't do gifts from friends at parties and have never had an issue with it - we don't bring them to theirs either.

Our youngest dd went to a party about 12 years ago and they did that- she still remembers it. She grew plants in that pot for years until the cat knocked it off her desk and the pot broke. Probably her favorite party ever.

I like the idea of party favors being a craft completed at the party or something consumable. One of dd's favorites was a giant rice krispie treat, cut with a shaped cookie cutter and decorated. She has also received homemade cookies. I also don't mind when there is no party favor at all. I don't appreciate copious amounts of pinata candy. :glare:

I think asking for donations to a charitable cause would be better than asking for gift cards to certain stores. I believe there have been threads here about b-day party invitations that included specific gift requests. Lots of people were offended by them. If people ask what your dd wants, there is no harm in telling them, but I wouldn't put it in the invite.

My dd did a giant, decorated cookie at her last party and it was a big hit. We had a swimming party, so the bakery made cookies int he shape of a flip flop and then decorated them and put her name on it. They put them in cute baggies with a pink bow and we will done. I think that will be the only goody I give at parties from now on.

If you don't want your dd to have gifts, then simply put "Gifts not necessary" on the invitations, or I think it would be ok to ask for book donations for Friends of the Library, or some other book charity. As for favors, I like the idea of a craft at the party as a take home, or a simple decorated cookie or something. My dds' friend had a party last year, where the mom made homemade cookies, and a cd of her daughter's favorite songs as favors. My girls loved it! A bottle of bubbles is always fun too.

In our house the book would probably be the preferred party favor to get. Ds would of course like any food party favor too, lol. (Dd is not a big candy eater; she doesn't mind getting candy as a favor or handout, but she usually never eats it.)

Over the years, we've cut waaaaay back on the party favors. Usually I try to find one item or just do foods (candy &/or pack of salty snacks of some sort, plus a bottle of water or juice box). My dd has a summer birthday (before July 4), so we often give out sparklers as a favor. They're fun for the 4th & they get used up by everyone.

If anyone asks for gift ideas, I'd suggest 'non-clutter' type items to the person, things like:

tickets to the movies

gift card to an ice cream shop

a donation to a charity your dd likes

dog/cat food &/or bedding/toys/etc... for dd to take to a local shelter

donation of a book to the library in your dd's honor (our library has a special screen set up on their webpage where people can do this)

I like the idea of party favors being a craft completed at the party or something consumable.

I'm leaning towards this idea.

I think asking for donations to a charitable cause would be better than asking for gift cards to certain stores. I believe there have been threads here about b-day party invitations that included specific gift requests. Lots of people were offended by them. If people ask what your dd wants, there is no harm in telling them, but I wouldn't put it in the invite.

I was thinking along the lines of the ideas listed below.

If anyone asks for gift ideas, I'd suggest 'non-clutter' type items to the person, things like:

tickets to the movies

gift card to an ice cream shop

a donation to a charity your dd likes

dog/cat food &/or bedding/toys/etc... for dd to take to a local shelter

donation of a book to the library in your dd's honor (our library has a special screen set up on their webpage where people can do this)

I suppose it may be offensive putting this in the invite. I just do not want to deal with more do dads and clutter.