Menu

Anyone doing anything for Chinese New Year?

I found a great deal of ideas to use tomorrow here I use them a lot for other ideas and thought I would try them out. I now have our main craft planned, coloring pages for all, the story of the zodiac to read and some matching themed paper I will have the 3 oldest kids do a narration on. A recipe for homemade fortune cookies (we made them at the afterschool care last year and they are so easy) and lastly a worksheet for them to make a "report" about dragons as a creative exercise. Everything I picked is workable for all 5 kids 2-13 without being too hard for the 2 yr old and too easy for the 13 yr old. We will still have a normal math day and history but I will use this stuff for language arts, art and home ec ;)

I'm debating whether we'll have Vietnamese, Korean, or Chinese food. Sometimes Tsagaan Sar in Mongolia is at the same time as Lunar New Year, but not this year, so we'll do that in February and play bone games and eat Mongolian food.

There are relatively few Han Chinese here, and the Dungans (ethnically Han Muslims) don't celebrate Lunar New Year, at least the Dungans I know, so it's mostly up to us to decide if we'll do anything.

I found a great deal of ideas to use tomorrow here I use them a lot for other ideas and thought I would try them out. I now have our main craft planned, coloring pages for all, the story of the zodiac to read and some matching themed paper I will have the 3 oldest kids do a narration on. A recipe for homemade fortune cookies (we made them at the afterschool care last year and they are so easy) and lastly a worksheet for them to make a "report" about dragons as a creative exercise. Everything I picked is workable for all 5 kids 2-13 without being too hard for the 2 yr old and too easy for the 13 yr old. We will still have a normal math day and history but I will use this stuff for language arts, art and home ec ;)

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

We did several similar ideas that have been shared here (food, crafts, etc) at our co-op on Friday. Every year at this time I issue a chopstick challenge. To achieve the first rank of the chopstick challenge you must eat a Swedish fish or other gummy candy with your chopsticks. The second rank requires picking up and eating both a peanut & a regular M&M. Other roundish, smooth candies can be used. The final challenge to becoming a chopstick ninja is to unwrap & eat a Hershey's kiss. Because it is close to Valentine's Day it is easy to find all these candies in red. Ages 6 & up use regular chopsticks & the 6 and under crowd use "cheater chopsticks." This is how to make cheater chopsticks

Amber in SJ

We made this really cute dancing dragon puppet/toy craft from Enchanted Learning last year which my 5 y/o son and 10 y/o daughter both liked making and decorating:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/chinesenewyear/lion/'>http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/chinesenewyear/lion/

We also made the Chinese lanterns and hung up a string of them as a decoration across the living room/computer room archway:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/chinesenewyear/lantern/

ETA: They have instructions for Chinese tangram puzzles, too, which we did NOT try, but here's the link if you want to give it a go:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/chinesenewyear/tangram/

And the rest of this page shows the various printable booklets, worksheets, activity sheets, etc they have pertaining to the Chinese New Year for younger kids, as well as any other relevant crafts. I forgot how much I love this site lol.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/chinesenewyear/

Edited by NanceXToo

Well every finger is now burnt and sore but I have 24 homemade fortune cookies cooling for snack today. 6 out of 7 kids did their painted hand prints this morning to form the "scales" of the dragon they will finish this afternoon. DS13 said it was too babyish for him. They also all colored some dragon coloring pages as I worked my way through each kid to do handprints. This afternoon we will eat the fortune cookies, read the story of the zodiac, I have coloring pages just to keep little ones busy while I read the match it, and the 3 oldest will do a narration of the story for me.