Menu

Florida vacation ideas?

We've just started to kick around the idea of making a Florida trip before spring break. We would drive, we live in IN, and the kids are 2 and 4. That, in itself, is recipe for crazy if you ask me, but NOOOOO, DH says it will be fun!

We have been to Clearwater and enjoyed it and have some extended family there that we may possibly visit (ds's birthfamily). We are wanting to avoid Disney like the plague and not spend a ton of money.

Ideas of places to go or things to do that won't break our vacation fund? If we plan a trip, I'm sure a trip to Clearwater will be in store, but we don't have to stay in the area.

My parents have a place in the Keys, Marathon. They rent it out weekly when they aren't there, expensive though. But others are not. Marathon is great. You don't have the college crowds like Key West and you're out of the Largo scene too. Pacific and Atlantic beaches less than a mile apart, great seafood, close to lots of touristy stuff if you so choose.

How about visiting a state park? We've enjoyed going to several of the Springs in central FL. It might be too cold to go in the water, but you could look for a place like Blue Springs, which has manatees in the winter-time.

Also, I've always wanted to go camping at Kissimmee Prairie. I don't know if you're up for camping, but March is the perfect time for it in FL.

The keys are a hike with little kids. I've done it. Takes stamina. We stayed at a great place in Key Largo that was not too $. I wouldn't recommend driving from IN with a 2 and 4 yr old. You'll be done by Jacksonville.

However, if you have family in Clearwater, you could try St Pete's. Have you done a Pirate Ship cruise? There is one out of Clearwater and one out of John's Pass in St Pete. The Clearwater Aquarium is nice for kids (Winter is there, you've probably been). Is Tampa an option? The Lowry Zoo is really wonderful, and the Tampa aquarium is great for little ones. They have an outdoor water sprinkler area. My kids spent many happy hours there when they were small.

Edited by LibraryLover

Ooohh, lots of fun ideas! I'm looking at state parks, we like to explore them here. And I had no idea about a PIRATE SHIP CRUISE! That is certainly something to explore with 2 little boys! The St Pete/Tampa/Clearwater area is looking like a nice option!

(We just saw Dolphin Tale yesterday and DS loves Winter. He's quite concerned for her, but LOVES her!) Lots of stuff to look at!

i live right outside of panama city beach. we really like it here. the beaches are beautiful and it's very family friendly (and affordable). lots to do here. shell island & pier park are some of our favorites, plus there are fun museums and amusement parks. i also love the state park in PC (st andrews). for south florida, we really love the keys.

Check out Saint George Island, FL in the Florida panhandle. No high rise buildings, amusements, etc. Bike paths run the length of the island and there are lots of vacation homes for rent at a variety of prices. A State Park with camping is on one end of the island. Beautiful and natural.

We've done the drive from MI to FL *several* times with our kids. You can do it!

There's so much to do and see in the Clearwater/St. Pete/Tampa area. I second Clearwater Aquarium. We loved seeing the sea turtles that were rehabbing in the hospital. Of course, there's also the larger Florida Aquarium in Tampa, but we always prefer the smaller ones like Clearwater.

You could always check out a MLB team for a spring training game, depending on when you go.

Honestly, when we head to any coast, we all enjoy ourselves the most just spending time on the beach. It never gets old and it's cheap :001_smile:.

There's so much to do and see in the Clearwater/St. Pete/Tampa area. I second Clearwater Aquarium. We loved seeing the sea turtles that were rehabbing in the hospital. Of course, there's also the larger Florida Aquarium in Tampa, but we always prefer the smaller ones like Clearwater.

Both Sparrow and LibraryLover mentioned the Clearwater Aquarium so I figure that this is an opportunity to mention that I was there for the first time this past week. My husband had a conference in Clearwater and I tagged along.

The Clearwater Aquarium is really more of a rehab center than traditional aquarium. The dolphins that are in residence are there because they cannot be released into the wild. I made a point of visiting because I am a volunteer with shorebirds and raptors in rehab here in NC. The behind-the-scenes tour was great! In my case, it was led by a sixteen year old homeschooled girl, a most articulate young lady. Very impressive.

Clearwater also has a beach-side playground that my son would have adored in his younger days.

Happy trails...

Jane

i live right outside of panama city beach. we really like it here. the beaches are beautiful and it's very family friendly (and affordable). lots to do here. shell island & pier park are some of our favorites, plus there are fun museums and amusement parks. i also love the state park in PC (st andrews). for south florida, we really love the keys.

Oh, thinking of Panama City makes me homesick! I would also suggest St Andrews State Park, especially with kids that age. There are areas to swim where it's not so rough. Beautiful, beautiful beaches. There is Gulf World and a zoo there as well.

My parents have a place in the Keys, Marathon. They rent it out weekly when they aren't there, expensive though. But others are not. Marathon is great. You don't have the college crowds like Key West and you're out of the Largo scene too. Pacific and Atlantic beaches less than a mile apart, great seafood, close to lots of touristy stuff if you so choose.

My dh's stepdad has a place in Marathon too! We went there for the first time in September, and can't WAIT to go back. He has a condo he rents out weekly, too. We've checked the rates, and it's not terrible. The condo is right on the beach, and there's a pool. OP, if you'd like more info about my FIL's condo complex, feel free to PM me, I'll send you their website.

The Keys are amazing. Just beautiful. Lots of fun stuff to do, from pricey to free. Marathon is kinda right in the middle of the Keys, so it's not a far drive to Key West or pretty much anywhere else in the Keys.

Last time we went to Florida we went to WonderWorks in Orlando, and we thought it was really cool:

http://www.wonderworksonline.com/

It's like a big science museum and the whole building looks upside down from the outside (and lobby area), which the kids got a big kick out of. It had a lot of really cool exhibits, and then a HUGE rope obstacle course at the top level...we had a good time there. And of course they love going to places like Medieval Times or the Pirate Adventure Dinner (we try to do a different themed dinner show each time we go since we can't do those by where we live).

We love Florida's State Parks and they are very inexpensive. I'll second (third?) that suggestion. Spend some time on their website and find a few that appeal to you.

Also, in Pinellas County, check out Ft Desoto. It's a county park, not a state park, but the beach there is awesome and NOT commercialized like the vast majority in the state. We loved camping there and just plain enjoying Florida.

All of my kids were born in Pinellas County. Many times during winter I get a little wistful, especially now when we can't afford to go back and visit.

It's a good 14 - 15 hours from IN to FL, depending what part of IN you are coming from and what part of FL you are going to, of course. If you are indeed driving down, I recommend sticking with whatever part of the state is your destination and checking out all of the neat things to do in that area, for this trip, anyway. It sounds like the Clearwater area may be your destination point, and others have given you lots of great places to visit in that area or nearby.

With kids so young, I'd avoid trying see more of the state. While Florida has everything from the keys to the white sand beaches of the panhandle, plus the Space Coast and St. Augustine, the driving distance to some of these areas can be anywhere from a couple of hours to a half a day. Not what you're going to look forward to after spending a day and a half of driving just to GET to Florida.

Florida is a great vacation spot--have fun, and come back again!

We love Florida's State Parks and they are very inexpensive. I'll second (third?) that suggestion. Spend some time on their website and find a few that appeal to you.

Also, in Pinellas County, check out Ft Desoto. It's a county park, not a state park, but the beach there is awesome and NOT commercialized like the vast majority in the state. We loved camping there and just plain enjoying Florida.

All of my kids were born in Pinellas County. Many times during winter I get a little wistful, especially now when we can't afford to go back and visit.

Ha! DS2 was born in Pinellas Co too! We pretty much spent a week and a half trying to keep a 2 year old busy with a new baby. We walked some malls and went to the beach, but I really wasn't into hauling a brand spanking new baby out everywhere! Sounds like lots to do around that area, we really didn't explore it a lot.

Last time we were there, we drove from northern IN to the Clearwater area, straight through, and it was about 18 hours. I'd almost rather shoot myself in the foot!:D

Last year we enjoyed our stay at Laguna Beach Christian Retreat outside Panama City Beach. They rent cabins and you have to bring *everything* with you (except tp and cooking utensils) but they're just across the street from the beach. It was a great way for our family to get some down time.

My neighbor is a fan of St George Island that a pp mentioned. They and their extended family have been a couple of times.

Vero Beach is wonderful.... and while you want to avoid Disney - their resort there on the beach is perfect for the ages of your kids:

http://www.disneybeachresorts.com/vero-beach-resort/

Destin - closer to you and a beautiful place. Although - sometimes in early spring it still hasn't really gotten warm enough to swim. In Vero that won't be a problem.

Ha! DS2 was born in Pinellas Co too!

Small world!

We moved to PA when youngest was 6 months old (oldest was 4, middle was 2). We took three trips from FL to PA within 2 weeks. Fortunately, my kids are good travelers, but we got to know where the McDonalds with indoor AC playplaces were along the way. (We'd stop and let them play while hubby and I ate, then they'd eat their food in the car while we were en route.) Some of them were probably wondering why we were there more often than their "regulars" for those couple of weeks.

St. Augustine is a wonderful vacation spot. It's in northern Florida, near Jacksonville. It's got nifty historical stuff from when it was a Spanish colony (forts and other), beautiful beaches, an alligator farm, a lighthouse, museums, and beautiful ecosystems to tour due to the intercoastal waterway. It's nowhere near Disney. I drove there alone with the kids and did it in two days comfortably. If dh had been along we might have chosen to do one massive, marathon drive,