Menu

Effect of the Kindle on your book-keeping strategy...

Has anyone found that once they have a Kindle (and therefore instant access to hundreds of classics) that they simply don't keep all of the 'reference' books they once did, unless they have an emotional attachment to the book itself?

DH bought himself a Kindle for reading tech stuff and now I find myself reevaluating that 30 year old paperback copy of Silas Marner, among others.

Sure does! The internet did that for me with most reference materials. And, now, I'm even considering getting rid of dictionaries and thesauruses! (GASP!) But, ours just don't get used. The kids prefer to read their books on the Kindle or iPad because it's so easy to look up words they don't know.

And, all those classics I kept from high school and college? A lot of them are free on the Kindle/iPad! So, they're going too. I'm going to go through and purge a LOT more this summer after I buy my dh a Kindle for his birthday. Most of the books that are left are his!

I've reduced some books which are available free online, either classics or because of Baen's releasing much of their backlist for download. It just doesn't make sense to keep the shelf space occupied. I can't say we've cleared out shelves, though-we seem to get other books to fill that space :).

I haven't actually gotten rid of any books yet, but I've been eying all my fantasy novels and the classics I could get for free.

There's plenty of books that aren't available on the Kindle, and I like having lots of kids books on the shelf for dc to peruse, but I'm seeing how I could clear up space for more of their books...;)

I got a kindle in November, and have found myself since then second guessing a lot of the classics on my shelf - If I can get them free why take up valuable shelf space? On the other hand, DD isn't allowed to read from my kindle without supervision {she's 5}, so I have kept some for her to read when I'm not around.

That was one of my primary motivations for getting a Kindle. I was running out of bookshelves and I have eight sets of double wide tall book shelves and eight sets of single wide short bookshelves. I am also finding it much easier to read on the Kindle because I can increase the font size so most new purchases are on the Kindle.

Hasn't affected us at all. Kiddo likes reading real books and I'd prefer he look stuff up in real dictionary or encyclopedia. As for me, 50% of the books I read are e-books - all fiction. I get e-books for those books I could care less about keeping, but want to read. As far as the classics we have on shelves. Will never ditch them or replace them. Love my books.....

I got a Kindle for Christmas and, while I enjoy it, it kind of disconcerts me.

So far I've only purchased one book for it, the rest have been available as free downloads, whether public domain or special offers, and I think I'll keep it that way. I plan to continue purchasing and keeping books.

Why? I'm scared of "the cloud" Do I really "own" these books? What happens when the technology changes and I don't have a 8-track player anymore? Will I have to purchase everything again? What about my children, will they have to purchase everything they want again when they're establishing their home libraries?

Maybe I'm paranoid.

[i have other issues regarding the uniformity of reading on the Kindle and the lack of beauty, but I'll leave those for another day :tongue_smilie:]

I don't know how much of what I already own I'll purge in favor of eBooks. I am considering having a kindle or other eReader per child by the time they hit high school in order to have classics in ebooks form so that they take up no weight/space and are easily accessible.

Of course maybe that needs to be an iPad- especially if this new textbook platform takes off. I expect if this venture is successful Amazon will have something competitive in no time. Best of both on an iPad.