Menu

your favorite chili recipe please

I don't have exact amounts, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE DH's chili!!

He puts in beans (black, kidney, and chili - juice & all), diced tomatoes, bacon, onion, ground beef, minced garlic, and my favorite - corn! If one wanted to spice it up, they certainly could with jalepenos, or chili pepper, we just prefer not to, because of the kids. Well, that and I'm a wimp :)

ETA: I forgot green pepper!

Edited by k2bdeutmeyer

This is ours, just a basic chili adapted from a Penzey's Spices recipe. We have an annual chili competition in my dad's family and this has won three years in a row with different judges in different cities. Keep in mind we are Texan, so you might want to cut down on cayenne and Tabasco if you aren't.

2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained

1 Tbs fat (oil or bacon grease)

1 onion, small dice

green bell pepper, small dice

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp cumin

2 tsp oregano

2 tsp salt

2 Tbsp chili powder

1 tsp cayenne

1 tsp Tabasco

2 c water, chicken stock, or beef stock

1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes

1 14.5 oz can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (optional)

Saute onion and bell pepper in fat until tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until flavors meld (at least 30 minutes). Chili is even better the next day.

This is mine:

1 onion, chopped

2 or 3 cloves garlic, crushed

1 TBS cumin

1 TBS chili powder

ground beef, if you want it :-)

3 cans of different kinds of beans (usually not kidney beans; I just don't care for them)

1 large can of crushed tomatoes

1 can beef broth

Saute onion, garlic, cumin and chili powder in oil until onions are soft. This is important--sauteing the seasonings with the onion and garlic really does improve the flavor.

If you want to add ground beef, do it after you saute onions and garlic. Brown the beef.

Dump in all the beans, tomatoes, and beef broth. Cook for an hour or so.

We serve chili over rice, with grated cheese on top. :-)

My recipe is a family favorite. :)

1 Tbs. olive oil

4 jalapenos, minced (seed and devein 3 of them for medium or all 4 for mild)

1 medium onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, crushed

1/2 tsp. salt

1 lb. ground sirloin

2 Tbs. chili powder

1 Tbs. cumin

1 tsp. oregano (I use Mexican for chili but it doesn't matter much)

1 bay leaf

14.5 oz can diced tomatoes

28 oz can crushed tomatoes

16 oz can kidney beans

Toppings: grated cheddar, chopped green onions, and sour cream (particularly good to mix in for littles if you have made it a bit too spicy for them)

Underings :D: elbow pasta or wagon wheels

Heat oil in dutch oven on M-H heat. Add jalapenos-salt, mixing well. Add meat and cook through. Add chili powder-bay leaf and incorporate well. Add remaining ingredients, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for a while. (Sometimes I simmer for hours and sometimes I serve right away.)

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

All these recipes have inspired me to try a different one every other week to find our families favorite. The kids love competitions, so this will be something new to look forward to doing. Thanks!!

You should have the kids/DH/yourself all do a food critique journal. Just fold a few sheets of paper together and staple them book like. Everyone can record their thoughts about topics like if it was spicy enough or not, to many tomatoes/beans/meats, etc. Then you keep the master copy of the tallied results on the back of the recipe used.

Mine is not a "from scratch" recipe, but when I find something that everyone eats without complaining (and even asks for more) I hang onto it. It doesn't hurt that it can be on the table in 30 minutes! Here is what I do:

4lbs ground beef

3 packets chili seasoning (from Aldi)

12 (8oz) cans tomato sauce

4 cans chili beans

Cook beef, drain, add other ingredients & simmer for awhile. Makes an amazing mild chili (according to my "non spicy" kids LOL!!).

I use this Better Homes and Garden chili recipe, from the old cookbooks: http://www.food.com/recipe/better-homes-and-gardens-easy-chili-350382

PLUS I double the recipe, and to that I also add:

about a cup of corn

1 1/2 T brown sugar

1 1/2 T cocoa powder

I use this recipe too. It is a great basic chili. I add cinnamon and salsa. I also add a can of hot tomato juice if I have it. The brown sugar and cocoa powder sound like a good idea. I might try it next time.

I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas, but one of my "tricks" is to make the beans from scratch. After soaking all night, I simmer them with a can of the water from a pitted olive can thrown in, and a little muslin sack stuffed with parsley or cilantro stems. (This makes nice beans for a cold salad, or lentils for eating or making a lentil salad, too.)