Menu

100 Years after the Titanic...

I ;think Carnival is going to be in big trouble for this (not having the evacuation drill, etc). Of course, when we went on a cruise, the drill was a joke, we were all squashed together so tight, I was about to panic. They also told us that our children would be in different boats! Dh and I said we don't think so, our dc will be with us. The drill would not have helped us at all if we had an emergency and had to evacuate.

I ;think Carnival is going to be in big trouble for this (not having the evacuation drill, etc). Of course, when we went on a cruise, the drill was a joke, we were all squashed together so tight, I was about to panic. They also told us that our children would be in different boats! Dh and I said we don't think so, our dc will be with us. The drill would not have helped us at all if we had an emergency and had to evacuate.

the grounding happend the first day, and the drill was scheduled for 5pm that day - after they ran aground.

terrible. My condolenes to those who lost loved ones.

the grounding happend the first day, and the drill was scheduled for 5pm that day - after they ran aground.

terrible. My condolenes to those who lost loved ones.

One lady quoted said they hadn't had a drill since she boarded the boat back on the 8th.

I can't stop thinking about that woman with her 3yo. I hope they made it. :crying:

I understand that by far it is a different story than the Titanic. What I think about is that after the Titanic... 100 years later... why would they not be prepared? Why not learn from the past and have a plan for an emergency? Although, what if they were prepared and things just went awry... I mean, we can plan and plan and plan and then when something happens, are we sure all will go according to the "plan"? Sometimes you just cannot prepare for all circumstances. Things happen that we don't expect. And as for the drill being planned for later that day? Why not have a drill the first day? Are the drills for the guests of the ship only? Doesn't the crew have a "plan" and wouldn't they be drilled in what to do? And why did the captain abandon ship??? He should have been rescuing...

It's sad but I wish they wouldn't keep comparing it to the Titanic on the news and such. Seriously? No comparison.

I know. This is a tragedy for sure but it's not the Titanic. For one, it's the Mediterranean Sea. If I was going to have to be on a ship that sank, this would be the ocean I'd pick. Icebergs??? No way!!

Lack of preparation is what they are pointing out by mentioning the Titantic. People died because nobody could figure out how to get the passengers off the ship in time, because lifeboats could not be lowered properly or at all etc

That's the connection.

Edited by LibraryLover

I did see the story; my daughter (10) and I are booked to go on a cruise on the same cruise line (different ship) from Venice to Istanbul this spring. We have paid for our tickets and we have planned this for years, so we are still going. I am definitely going to take some safety precautions. I have never been on a cruise before, but I have read advice that if there are problems, get off the ship as soon as possible. I agree that the lack of planning is horrifying.