Menu

My 4.5 y/o dd is reading...WELL...need book suggestions please

She finished up 100EL a month ago. Has been reading everything in sight. She doesn't care if it's way above her ability. Today I spent time with her listening to her read and she's really good. She read "disappointment" with no problems! I am asking her to read through the readers in the basket(levels 1-3) and bought one book for her last night. But I need ideas on what to let her read!

She will be 5 at the end of August. We are very conservative in the areas of media/entertainment. The sales clerk recommended Hannah Montana books last night...that is exactly what I do not want!!! I am taking her to the library to try the first Boxcar children book and will also encourage her to try the Magic Tree House books.

What is appropriate reading for an almost 5 y/o girl??? She reads an hour a day on her own...more if I would let her. But I am concerned about too mature themes and inappropriate things for her age to just let her pick up any book.

thanks for your suggestions!

Maybe she would like the Beatrix Potter books? Brambly Hedge (Jill Barklem) was a big hit as well.

So many classic books for children have themes that may be too mature for your daughter. For example, Sarah Crewe by Frances Hodges Burnett is about an orphan who is mistreated. So is Heidi, to some degree. Can she handle that sort of thing?

ETA: I ask because there are some books that I could recommend, but I am just not sure!

We had lots of luck with non-fiction books. Try looking for books about animals, there are lots of easy reading levels and the content is appropriate.

Here are a few that dd enjoyed:

Magic School Bus chapter books

CatWings books by Ursula K. LeGuin

anything by Beverly Cleary

Winnie the Pooh (the original versions)

Carolyn Haywood: "B is for Betsy" and her other Betsy books

Stuart Little and other books by E.B. White

Peter Rabbit and other books by Beatrix Potter

The Borrowers series

My Father's Dragon books.

Burgess Books

Janet Oke children animal story books

If you don't already get Sonlight's catalog, you should sign up for one. They have fabulous suggestions. Also, 1000 Good Books.

It doesn't sound like my experience pertains to you, but I'll share it anyway, just in case. One thing I've found with my dd--who was also an early reader--is that although she is reading well, I need to let her slowly go through the lower level books before pushing her on to more. She is a great reader, and sometimes I get over-ambitious with my book purchases. :001_smile: I forget that even though she "can" she really doesn't have to, yet. So, I have stepped back, letting her reread the Dr. Seuss books, Clifford, Arthur, I Can Read books. It's building her confidence, and I love seeing her growing love of books.

Your daughter sounds like mine. We just bought the first book in the Little House series for DD (5) - and so far, so good. We bought a paperback "collector's" edition - it has some beautiful artwork by Garth Williams throughout the book - but not on every page. That was a bit off-putting to DD at first, but now she enjoys it.

My dd loves Mercy Watson, Olivia Sharp/Nate the Great (Olivia is his cousin), Magic Treehouse, and she loves that she can read picture books to herself- her favorites are Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm, Tomi dePaola books (especially the Strega Nona series), the Frances books, and fairy tales. She is going through all of our old books from SL's PreK core and enjoys that she can read them all to herself. If you look at the SL catalog, the level 2 and 2 intermediate readers have all been greatly enjoyed by my younger kids. Frog and Toad, Amelia Bedelia, Pickles the Firecat, Little Bear, The Littles, Clyde Robert Bulla's books, etc.

I found a book called Peak with Books by Marjorie R. Nelsen & Jan Nelsen-Parish. It has quite a list of easy books listed that are age appropriate for her. I'll be working though the list with my dd4 this next year. It has 42 "main books" that have enrichment activities developed if you want them. But each of those 42 books have at least 5 books that are loosely related. For example, one of the "main books" is The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats. It also has 5 storybooks about snow/snowballs/mittens and 3 more nonfiction books about snow/animals that hide in snow listed on the pages for The Snowy Day.

My ds did the same thing to me. His reading just took off!

He really enjoyed the Wishbone series books. I let him watch one of the videos first and then he just wanted more of the books.

Someone mentioned the Great Illustrated Classics, I'll agree. My kids loved these also.

He read the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe within two days. He is 8 years old now and recently whipped thru White Wolf and A Call of the Wild with great interest.

Oh and I had a similar experiance with recommendations from the librarians... not very impressive. Check out the website: 1000 Good Books list.

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

I printed a copy and take it with me when I search the library for books either online or on site. It helps keep me focused. I also helps to write down the call numbers for the books on the paper and keep track of which ones your library has to offer.

hth

I personally want her to read all the readers I bought over the years for her older brother :-) She's the one I keep finding reading books I feel are way above her ability and understanding! So my goal now is to make sure she has access to books more her ability without looking like an easy reader.

I understand. Dd went through this, too, but I was not as wise as you. I pushed the harder stuff too soon and reading lost its shine for a while. Thankfully, we have recovered. :001_smile:

One thing that might work is the compilation editions of Frog and Toad and other readers. They are nice and thick, which appeals to their desire to be reading "big" books, yet the material is on the right level.

She'll love Little House in the Big Woods as others have suggested. The Nate the Great books are good, and I've seen that they have another series with his cousin Olivia. I haven't read any of those though. Amelia Bedelia is great, too.

That sounds like Becca too! I have her enjoying Magic Tree House books. She's also a huge Magic School Bus fan and they have some beginner chapter books. I also look at the leveled readers in bookstores. Not all of it is something I want Becca to read (I'm not ready for fourth grade attitude yet), but I can easily determine appropriateness.

The Breyer Stablemates books are great too, especially if she loves horses like my girls.

My oldest (4 1/2) is not reading yet, but some books that she's really enjoyed lately are the Dot and Jabber books by Ellen Stoll Walsh. I don't know what the reading level is. They're educational to boot, and I really enjoy them too.

Dot and Jabber and the Great Acorn Mystery

Dot and Jabber and the Big Bug Mystery

Dot and Jabber and the Mystery of the Missing Stream

We've also enjoyed Mouse Count by Ellen Stoll Walsh (I made a file folder game based on it--I got started on all of Walsh's books beginning with Mouse Count because of a file folder game book from the library).

Also by Ellen Stoll Walsh that I look forward to checking out:

Mouse Paint

Mouse Shapes

Mouse Magic (about combining colors--not sure if I'll get this one, as it has a "wizard bird")

Hop Jump

For Pete's Sake

Hamsters to the Rescue

and more....

I like the artwork--it looks like it's all done with homemade paper of various colors, skillfully torn into the shapes needed.

According to Amazon, the reading level for most of these is ages 4-8.

There is a really lovely Cynthia Rylant book called (I think) Blue Hill Meadows. In fact, I would recommend any of Cynthia Rylant's series: Henry and Mudge, Mr. Putter and Tabby, The Lighthouse Family (ok, I wasn't big on Cobble Street Cousins when I read it to my kids because it talked about 9 year olds having crushes).

If she still insists on "older" books, how about The Cricket in Times Square series and the Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH series? I second the recommendation of Socks by Beverly Cleary. My kids ADORE that book. It's extremely sweet.

Also, our library has a "classics" section with a lot of the Newberry and Caldecott winners in it. You might try some of those.

Oh, and don't forget the Thornton Burgess books! You can get them extremely cheaply (for example, $1.50 a book) through Dover Publications. Check out Dover for other reading material, too. They seem (to me) to specialize in more gentle, wholesome books.

Tara

It doesn't sound like my experience pertains to you, but I'll share it anyway, just in case. One thing I've found with my dd--who was also an early reader--is that although she is reading well, I need to let her slowly go through the lower level books before pushing her on to more. She is a great reader, and sometimes I get over-ambitious with my book purchases. :001_smile: I forget that even though she "can" she really doesn't have to, yet. So, I have stepped back, letting her reread the Dr. Seuss books, Clifford, Arthur, I Can Read books. It's building her confidence, and I love seeing her growing love of books.

Our 3rd read like your daughter at that age, but I didn't push her to read Boxcar and stuff then. I let her read Amelia Badelia and Frog and Toad, and all those cute fun books that 5 and 6 yos like. Now she is a late 6 yo and she is reading books like The Courage of Sarah Noble and Tornado and Mr. McBroom's Hundred Acre Farm in a day's time. I just didn't want her to miss some of the stuff that average readers read at that age because it is good stuff. HTH>