Menu

American History.....What are your favorite curriculums?

Homemama2

I'm going to "guess" by your siggy that you wouldn't mind a Christian curriculum (since you are using Apologia!). HOD Bigger Hearts might be a good fit for BOTH your kids (but you would have to look at the placement chart). Guest Hollow is also a very well put together FREE AMerican History curriculum. Bright ideas press has just put out an All American History Jr. for the ages you have. Though I've not used it, I would recommend anything put out by BIP. :)

My kids will be in 4th and 5th next year and I am also using SOTW3 with American history. I did a schedule that just sort of mushed it all together into one big curriculum using SOTW3 (and SOTW4, but this schedule will take us through four years of history classes), Hakim's History of US, Usborne Encyclopedia of World History and Kingfisher's History Encyclopedia (along with a few other supplements). I can get you a link to the document if you'd like.

I would appreciate this. I plan on using these materials as well as Collier. Thanks!

My kids will be in 4th and 5th next year and I am also using SOTW3 with American history. I did a schedule that just sort of mushed it all together into one big curriculum using SOTW3 (and SOTW4, but this schedule will take us through four years of history classes), Hakim's History of US, Usborne Encyclopedia of World History and Kingfisher's History Encyclopedia (along with a few other supplements). I can get you a link to the document if you'd like.

I would appreciate this too! We will be to SOTW3 for next year and I was wondering where to fit in American History. I didn't really want to wait until the end of the SOTW 4 but wasn't sure how to go about adding it. Thanks!

We are in the middle of the second book of Collier's The Drama of American History. I'm using the series as bedtime reading. So far, so good. I'm intending to re-do it, more independently with some "reports" for 6th grade.

Thanks to K-8 Board and SpyCar for turning me onto it, and swimmermom3 for selling it to me!

I'm going to "guess" by your siggy that you wouldn't mind a Christian curriculum (since you are using Apologia!).

Good Guess!!:D

Yes, I'm looking for something Christian, but I appreciate all replies.

Thanks everyone, I've got a great looking list now to start checking out. I'm getting excited about teaching American history already. :001_smile:

If I had 3rd and 5th graders, I would seriously consider doing this course (or at least using it as a spine) with that age range. There are two volumes that serve as the main texts, and additional books for timelines, documents, and maps. There is also an optional Literature Package that coordinates with the History study.

http://www.notgrass.com/america_the_beautiful.php

Although the website says the course is for 5th--8th graders, I have the course (without the Literature Package) and it seems more suitable for 3rd--6th to me, or even earlier as a Read Aloud. In fact, I plan on using two main texts as group Read Aloud materials for the next two years as we study US History -- and this will be with twin K/1st graders and a 2nd/3rd grader for those years. HTH.

If I had 3rd and 5th graders, I would seriously consider doing this course (or at least using it as a spine) with that age range. There are two volumes that serve as the main texts, and additional books for timelines, documents, and maps. There is also an optional Literature Package that coordinates with the History study.

http://www.notgrass.com/america_the_beautiful.php

Although the website says the course is for 5th--8th graders, I have the course (without the Literature Package) and it seems more suitable for 3rd--6th to me, or even earlier as a Read Aloud. In fact, I plan on using two main texts as group Read Aloud materials for the next two years as we study US History -- and this will be with twin K/1st graders and a 2nd/3rd grader for those years. HTH.

I appreciate you mentioning this! I was thinking about it for our 2nd round of American history, but it's good to know that it would work for youngers too. (Maybe I could actually combine my kids in something!:tongue_smilie:)

I have always done and loved Sonlight for History. Grades 3 & 5 would work perfecty with the years they do American History. You could do the 2 year American History (which is what I'm doing) or you could go with the condensed version which is 1 year. I but the basic core books that you use for while at a time and get the readers and read alouds at the library. I don't follow the program to a T but I use it as a guide. I throw in "The Light and the Glory for children" books when it seems appropriate because I love those books and they are interesting for the kids. My older kids who did Sonlight developed a love for History by reading "real" books about the different people or times we were learning about. Good luck.