Menu

Does your two year old know the quantity 3?

My daughter is two and a half, and is really good at rattling off numbers up to twenty, but counting is definitely different from understanding quantities. I know she understands the quantities one and two, but she is really hit-and-miss with three.

Yesterday, I really worked hard trying to teach her the quantity three (here's some pictures), but still no luck.

Is this some sort of Piaget/developmental thing? Have you ever tried anything like this with your two year old? I'm really curious. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about counting, I'm talking about quantity identification.

DD is much the same age as your little one and she can do it, has done since a little before her second birthday. If they're in their familiar patterns (like on a die) she can do up to 6 automatically - she doesn't count the dots when we play board games now. I'm not sure if she can do more, haven't asked her to, but I just drew some random dots on cards to check this out for you and she can grab up to 5 without counting, after that (up to 10) she stopped to count. I know she can one to one count up to about 12 or so.

*caveat - I'm not sure if this is "normal" though, her brother is PG and we don't know where she lies yet. He was freaky good with numbers and could do the dice thing by 12 months.

My DD will be 3 in March and knows how to count things to 12. So, yes, I would say she knows the value of 3. She can say the numbers and count things to 12. She definately knows if she has 3 cookies! :001_smile:

I have a little girl turning 3 in March too! Mine knows 3 instantly, but she doesn't recognize larger numbers without counting the objects. Her accuracy at higher numbers varies depending on her interest in what she is counting. She can go higher than 10, but not without forgetting to count at least one object.

I haven't taken time to check if she recognizes that a quantity remains the same in different positions. Recognizing that 5 marbles close together and 5 marbles spread out in a line are the same amount is definitely a Piaget stage thing. (If you've never read Piaget, Conception of the World is interesting although unscientific by today's standards and Conception of Number is very dense.)

Guest submarines
I should add that YMMV, but this is absolutely not something I would "work hard" trying to teach if my two-year-old didn't know it.

:iagree:

Interesting responses! Thank you for your thoughts.

If my daughter counted the chocolate chips in my hand, she could definitely get to three. She has one-to-one correspondence with counting, although I'm not sure how high. But just looking at the quantity three, she definitely can't do yet.

The reason that I'm interested in this is that I read this book by the NPR Math guy, Keith Devlin called "The Language of Mathematics" and it had research in it that infants as young as a few days can recognize the quantity two. They have replicated this study all over the world by studying infant eye gaze.

So that led me to thinking that it's no big deal if a toddler can recognize two, because even infants can do it. But what about three?

The other part of this is like one of the earlier posters, my daughter's brother has been identified as gifted, and he was able to start a first grade math program (for fun) when he was four. I didn't teach him anything at all before that, but he did go to Montessori a few days a week. So now I'm also curious about when my son knew the quantity three, because I never bothered to monitor that.

I'm not going push for my daughter to learn "three" until she is ready. But I think I might recreate yesterday's experiments a few months from now and see if there has been a change.

Interesting responses! Thank you for your thoughts.

If my daughter counted the chocolate chips in my hand, she could definitely get to three. She has one-to-one correspondence with counting, although I'm not sure how high. But just looking at the quantity three, she definitely can't do yet.

The reason that I'm interested in this is that I read this book by the NPR Math guy, Keith Devlin called "The Language of Mathematics" and it had research in it that infants as young as a few days can recognize the quantity two. They have replicated this study all over the world by studying infant eye gaze.

So that led me to thinking that it's no big deal if a toddler can recognize two, because even infants can do it. But what about three?

The other part of this is like one of the earlier posters, my daughter's brother has been identified as gifted, and he was able to start a first grade math program (for fun) when he was four. I didn't teach him anything at all before that, but he did go to Montessori a few days a week. So now I'm also curious about when my son knew the quantity three, because I never bothered to monitor that.

I'm not going push for my daughter to learn "three" until she is ready. But I think I might recreate yesterday's experiments a few months from now and see if there has been a change.

I don't remember exactly when my ds got that concept, but I'm fairly certain it was not at age two. I know he first went through a stage where he understood 1 and 2, but anything larger was "much". "How many strawberries are there?" "Much."

I had almost forgotten about that. :)

It *is* developmental.

I had a neat experience as a 2yr old preschool teacher one evening. I sat with the kids on the floor with four blocks. We counted the blocks several times. Each time, they counted just fine. Then I asked how many blocks there were and each time, they said, "two!" They were so excited. Over and over, we recounted the blocks. Each time, they counted to four no problem. Then each time, I'd ask how many blocks there were and they'd say the same answer, "two!" LOL

Anyway, yes, it is completely developmental.

Equally as odd. My three kids do not recognize themselves as individual people. It is a very weird thing that happened, their bond is meshed to an unhealthy degree. It's weird. Anyway, so my 3yr old NEVER counts three or says three. When he counts, he skips 3 and 4 (he and his brother). He also doesn't recognize objects of those numbers. It always goes 1, 2, 5, 6. He does fine with the sequence in the 20s though.

Anyway, developmentally, a typical preschooler (2-4yrs old) should be able to count with one-to-one correspondence and quantify to their age.

I just want to say something.

In researching preschools in the area (private), I have inquired as to what they "teach" their Pre K class children (four year olds). The general answer was "to count, to recognize numbers, to say their ABCs, recognize their alphabet, basic phonics, colors, and shapes".

In seeing my homeschool friends I am left in wonder because most of us have 2 year olds already showing proficiency with these skills; and then I wonder where in the world my son will fit into these programs.

Just something I noticed. :001_smile:

OP, my 2 year old son can count and recognize numbers to about 12; he can count objects, but does not yet know immediately that there are, say, three cheerios in his bowl, without counting.

My two year old can count to three and beyond, but he definitely does not have a grasp on number concepts and very little of quantifying. He's very much still in the "1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 10!" stage. :) He's also very proud of himself that he recognizes that a written number is a number, but does not yet know which one is which.

I use the A Beka pre-K math program for my 3 year olds, and it focuses completely on working on the number concept for numbers 1-20. All of my three year olds have enjoyed this immensely and were able to grasp the idea of numbers by this age and not just counting. They also love it because it makes them feel like they are doing "real" school like their older siblings. :D I've never tried it with my two year olds, but mostly because they haven't had the attention span to sit long enough for a lesson. Plus, to me, three is young enough.

Okay Jen, I tested the recently-turned 2 year old b/c I was just curious. It took about 30 seconds from start to finish and we were already playing with the cars anyway. She got it. But did I do it right?

On the rug: groups of toy cars (1, 2, and 3). I asked her to count each group. Then I randomly pointed to each group and she told me how many were in each group without recounting.

I did it several times and she got "dew" (2) and "wee" (3) right each time. But maybe she was just remembering that that group was 3? After all, she had counted them already.

She didn't ever get "one" right. (What's up with that?)

Maybe I'll try it again another day. Perhaps I need a coaching first, though. Anybody have any tips? :001_smile:

I know this is probably the former Psych major in me talking, but I find this whole subject really fascinating. It has prompted me to dig around in my Right Start materials, and think about this some more.

If you really want to "nerd out", I've got another simple experiment for you, this one from the research of K. Wynn. I have pictures here on my blog. I guess you would call it "The Teddy Bear Experiment". But you could rightly call it: “What happens when a SAHM gets bored during four days of being snow-bound.” J

Well, my almost 4 year old can't/won't count to 10....I don't know which. She likes to pretend she does not know things so I never know what she does know.....kwim?

At two she did not know the quantity 3. She did not appear to know any quantities.....but again, I don't really know! She is not a performing monkey ;)

DS was 27m yesterday. He can count objects in a one-to-one correspondence up through ten (this was the first time I've asked him to do it, I usually just marvel and wonder at how he learned that). When I put three objects in my hand, he had to count them to tell me how many there were, he didn't just "know." His older brother wasn't even speaking yet by this point, so I don't know what he knew. I think it was right around the time he turned two that YDS started randomly counting