Menu

What do you LOVE about your child's school?

I choose to afterschool to fill in some gaps and to provide my son with some one-on-one instruction. But I am not unhappy with my son's school. So I got to wondering...what do you LOVE about your child's school?

I'll start!

Context: My 5th grader attends a private, international school in Denmark. He is new there this year. Classes are conducted in English.

Lots of cross-curriculum activities. I like this.

Minimal homework. I like this, too.

Regularly scheduled, interesting field trips.

Parental involvement is welcome, but parents are not dumped on.

Multiculturalism at its finest. The kids come from all over the world, and my son is learning SO much about other cultures and comparative religion...and he is learning it from his peers.

Excellent foreign language instruction. He is studying two languages. And actually learning both of them!

Small class size.

Awesome playground.

My three eldest children go to a small local govt school, Gold Coast, Australia.

I love that the school has all of those extra-curricular activities covered. My children are in the choir, instrumental band, in the talented sports program, the talented arts program, and the gifted and talented program.

I love that the teachers are such great mentors for my children, and that they are blossoming in their care.

I really like the peer group for my son. The kids are very sweet. He is still hugging other boys in 1st grade.

The first month of Kindergarten, at his school, they have a Gingerbread Man theme. The kids tour the school a little every day, and find crumbs from the Gingerbread Man. On the last day they return to the class and a parent has brought in a Gingerbread Man cake.

He has art once a week and P.E. and music twice a week.

In K he had Big Buddies with a 6th grader, and in 1st grade he has Book Buddies with a 5th grader.

The math program is Math in Focus.

There is a counselor who focuses on military issues, and runs a lunch group for military children 2x/month. This has been really good. On Veteran's Day military children got a box of cookies and a stuffed animal, and his class made a card for my husband thanking him for his service.

Right now he is in speech 3x/week at school, and his speech teacher helped me to get him into private speech. I like her.

They do a lot of cute things I wouldn't do, too, that my son likes. They had a scarecrow day this year. They have school-wide watermelon day where they eat watermelon. Last year they put their watermelon in water to see if it would sink or float. This year they guessed how many seeds it would have and then counted the seeds. Last year they did several cooking or food activities (mostly fairly simple, but they made apple pie in a crock pot for apple day).

My son recently got an award at an all-school assembly that they give out for academic improvement (he has problems in reading). He was so proud, and still looks at his ribbon all the time.. I don't think I could do anything to make him as proud as he was to be recognized by his teacher and principal in front of the whole school. It has helped his motivation.

Edited by Lecka

That is something else I like about my son's school. The principal knows him by name. The secretary knows him by name. Many teachers, and many random kids of all ages know him by name.

It is not a small school, with about 500 kids K-6, but it has a good atmosphere.

Teachers who work hard to make sure my son is challenged and back up (and appreciate!) what we do at home.

The opportunity to volunteer at school--I have to admit, I love being there! Its fun to interact with the other students and help some who need extra attention. Our school is a very positive environment.

Having someone else teach the things my kids don't want to learn--we love learning history and science together, but its nice to have outside motivation for math fact practice and handwriting!

I abolutely LOVE my son's large, public high school. I never thought I'd be saying that, but so far, it's been a fantastic experience for him. What I like...

A huge selection of courses at different levels. Students are placed appropriately in tracks that are just challenging enough and may move up or down at any time during their four years.

Teachers know their subjects and are kind-hearted. Administrators are also available and participate in meet-and-greets to try to get to know parents informally.

Facilities are top-notch.

Extracurriculars -- from the Cereal Eating Club to the Science Olympiads to Ultimate Frisbee. Almost anything goes. Also, a lot of volunteer opportunities.

Wonderful music and art programs.

A one-of-kind adviser program that fosters camaraderie among groups of kids who remain together for adviser period all four years with the same adviser the last three years of high school.

Help is always available, whether it be for academics or emotional/mental needs. They have a small army of retired volunteer teachers as well as individuals who can help distressed kids or families.

A new anti-bullying program designed to make kids think about their actions. It's called the "Names" program and was started by a former bully who found out later how deeply he hurt others. The teachers and student assembly listen to fellow students who were bullied talk about their experiences. My son said that it really hit home. Many who listened were moved to tears. My son could barely talk about it because some of the kids had such horrible experiences. I hope something effective can be done in earlier grades so that kids don't have to fear school.

Optional lectures, movies and author speaking engagements for parents who want to learn more about child-rearing or school-related topics (for example, they're showing a documentary about high school kids who write poetry) as well as evening classes that help parents understand the literature their students are reading

The campus is open. No metal detectors, police in the hallway. Seniors may leave campus during their free periods in senior year if they have good grades, good behavior, and parents okay it.

In a nutshell, I am really happy with this school. We took a gamble by moving to this suburb because we had read and heard good things about the schools. So far, I haven't been disappointed. I am sure something will come up along the way that I won't like, but this year has been a pleasant surprise.

Edited by MBM

Dd11 (gifted 5-8 public school): Had we been able to attend this school from day 1 in ps, I doubt I'd be afterschooling today. Granted, we're in our first year and I still do not approve of the district curricula that this school is required to use, but I see that a good number of the teachers don't either and they're not afraid to take control of their own classrooms to counter curricular deficiencies. (This is NOT what I see at dd's neighborhood school where ds9 is attending his last year before he can go to dd's school.) Standards and expectations are high, BS is not tollerated, gifted children are understood and nurtured, not stunted. I hesitate to say it, but so far...pretty close to heaven!

Ds9 (K-6 neighborhood public school): What do I like about it? Hands down, the people. Good, good people in the teachers and staff (mostly :glare:), the parents/families, the kids. Umm...I also like...that parents are welcome (if they take initiative). Let's see...I actually thought I'd be able to come up with more than that. That's pretty sad.

The enthusiasm of (many of) the teachers; the small class sizes and individual attention; good size - about 500 pupils from age 4-19; the appreciation of the child's particular talents, with equal weight given to achievement in arts, science and sports; the nice behaviour of the pupils; the splitting into streams and extensive remedial help without a feeling of one group looking down on another; the uniforms, so I don't have to think about clothes and neither do the boys; responsiveness if there is a problem.

Laura

I love our community. I love that I had two evites this evening to mom's nights out (one for the whole school and the other for Kindergarten moms). I love that parents are actively encouraged to participate in pretty much every aspect of the school. I love that in a district with about 300 kindergartners--almost 100 parents showed up for K-1 math curriculum night and they ran out of fliers. I love my son's teachers.

I wish that our state wasn't so messed up (CA), but I'm glad to be part of a community of parents who will do everything humanly possible to make sure that the kids get a great education. The incessant need to do fundraisers annoys me, but the school and PTA are pretty good about not pushing too hard. Sometimes a little too hands off; the crab feed sold out the first day and we weren't able to get tickets because I didn't get a single flier home about it. Boo! At least we have the potluck next month.

The teachers for the next few years are AMAZING (except one, but I try not to let him bother me), There are 250 total students in 4th-8th. DD has learned how to play the violin, piano, and african drums. She is currently taking a graphic arts class where she is learning the joys of Photoshop. She does have 32 kids in her 5th grade class, but in addition to the teacher there is almost always at least one parent (besides me!) there helping.

I could go on, but I hit all of the important stuff. Oh, and everyone from the principal down recommends after-schooling. :)

This was hard for me, because sending them to PS was not my preference this year, and the school is failing and has no playground/greenspace (and uses Everyday Math, but that's my personal tiff :lol:). But I decided to think of a positive.

I have to say that even though the school is struggling, low income, and dealing with a huge influx of kids that only speak Spanish or Polish at home, the parents are all involved. It's traditionally an African American population at the school and so this influx has increased the diversity. I've been told that there's always been a huge student and family involvement. I think that is wonderful. Activities are standing room only, various events are held by both the PTO and just parent groups to give kids age-appropriate alternatives. There's a huge network of volunteer teachers and parents that go to the library after school and help with homework. It just blows me away.

My DD(5) is in a pre K program offered through our elementary school that we have to pay for...if that makes any sense! LOL!!

I like that they are offered a "special" every day. It rotates between library, art, music, computer, and Spanish.

I also like that her school is very diverse and they talk a lot about that in her class and celebrate the different cultures in her class. It has opened her eyes to a variety of different cultures and customs.

I also like that her school has the potential to be an IB school.

Those are the positives that I'm holding onto right now!! LOL!!

I LOVE our school community (Catholic school, so community is probably stronger due to church family). It is an incredibly welcoming and supportive group of people that truly care for each other and help when it is needed. They are also loads of fun and very social. Book clubs, moms night out, dads groups, game nights, etc.

I also LOVE my kindergartener's teacher so much - she's probably the best teacher any of my kids have had. I was really struggling with having to send ds to kindergarten and was very tempted to homeschool him - partly because I was going to miss him, partly because I think homeschooling is wonderful, and partly because I wasn't sure how he would do in school. I thought it might all be overwhelming for him, and even a few negative things were going to bother me. Wrong, wrong. I just can't get over how much he has come out of his shell, how he is thriving and just has really developed more self-confidence. He loves school! His teacher is just so crazy and fun. A couple of times I have been there when they are doing letter sounds. They all jump around dancing and punching the air as they say the letter sounds, with looks of such joyfulness! She does "scientist of the week", and other great stuff. Anyway, it's kind of freaky to think he might have missed all this if I'd kept him home, and am so thankful I sent him.

My three eldest children go to a small local govt school, Gold Coast, Australia.

I love that the school has all of those extra-curricular activities covered. My children are in the choir, instrumental band, in the talented sports program, the talented arts program, and the gifted and talented program.

I love that the teachers are such great mentors for my children, and that they are blossoming in their care.

I'd love to know what school if you don't mind sharing?

We are HSing on the GC, but keeping open minds about the possibility of school.

At the public highschool I love..

All the class options

That they can take CC classes for free!

The trimester schedule

Many of the teachers are great

That they let homeschoolers take up to 3 classes each trimester (even core classes)

At dd14's private school I love..

The Religion Classes

The 3x a week schedule it's perfect for my dd

The teachers

The small class sizes

The involvement of parents

The kids

If I thought about it more I could probably come up with more :001_smile:

Guest Fletcher83

i don't have a child yet

(i am just planning)

but what i love about my baby-sister school is the way they organize outdoor activity

i think it's pretty important

I love that my 16 yo is gone from the house at least 7 1/3 hours per day, I love the fact that they have an excellent honours math program because she, a former math hater, plans to major in math. I love the fact that our part of the alphabet has an excellent guidance counsellor. I love the fact that she was able to enter during her sophomore year with no trouble & that she'll get credit for much of her freshman year (not all, but that's because they have no classes the same, eg no German & no logic/rhetoric classes). I also love the fact that she has done a 180 degrees from when she was in ps in K-8 & sits in class & does her work as much as she can to avoid homework but keep her GPA up.

I love the fact that my 13 you can play in band every single school day all year because they are not part of the high school (it's her first year in ps ever.) I love the fact that she was allowed to test into honours classes without having had the state test which she'd have had to have in middle school. I love the fact that it has motivated her to work hard & get her work done so that she can keep her grades up and stay there (not my first choice, mind you, but there's no profit to trying to homeschool someone who argues with you & doesn't want to be there.)

There are plenty of things I don't like, since I'm not a fan of public school, but this is a great thread since there is no way my dc would be there if there was nothing to like at our ps.

This was hard for me, because sending them to PS was not my preference this year, and the school is failing and has no playground/greenspace (and uses Everyday Math, but that's my personal tiff :lol:). But I decided to think of a positive.

I have to say that even though the school is struggling, low income, and dealing with a huge influx of kids that only speak Spanish or Polish at home, the parents are all involved. It's traditionally an African American population at the school and so this influx has increased the diversity. I've been told that there's always been a huge student and family involvement. I think that is wonderful. Activities are standing room only, various events are held by both the PTO and just parent groups to give kids age-appropriate alternatives. There's a huge network of volunteer teachers and parents that go to the library after school and help with homework. It just blows me away.

I'm quoting myself here because I went to another activity last night- a 5th grade band concert. Hundreds of people coming to see them play Hot Cross Buns and various other beginning songs. I sat next to and older couple, and they had just come down to see the neighbor's kid play.

• 2 weeks later...

My youngest two (twin girls in second grade) are in a new charter school. It has a classical learning approach. I love so much about this school - the excellent teachers, the more challenging curriculum and the active parent group. It was risky to start an upstart school - but it turned out to be a great move. The school has waiting lists now for every grade.

My 13 yr old dd is in a large public school. She's not learning to her potential, but SHE loves the kids and the size.

He goes to an awesome math science magnet school. We were just at a meeting tonight about their research practicum, available to students in his program that are interested and have an average above 80%. This program his produced Intel semifinalists year after year, and 3 finalists in the past decade!! These kids have actually published their work in real, peer-reviewed journals, including one several years ago on a paper that was in Nature!! I am just awed that this incredible resource is available to my son-as long as he works hard, of course. And not surprisingly, kids from this school are ALL college-bound, 98% go to college, some every year to top schools, like Ivies, MIT, Cal Tech, Stanford.

I've been skeptical of or public schools after my eldest's miserable experience in a public elementary school that is well-regarded. But I'm happy for my next son, who really has a huge opportunity at his school, if he chooses to take advantage of it.

I love that when my daughter misses her bus (because I couldn't drag my butt out of bed at 5:30am to get her to her bus at 6:10 am) that I can very easily drop her off. They have an outstanding system in front of the school where the parents line up and there are teachers at the curb and they take the kids right out of the car for you. It's literally a drive-by drop-off.

When my older kids were in school and I drove them I would wind up parking 3 blocks away and have to walk up to the school with them.