Menu

Teaching to read

Quiver0f10

Jean:

I'm still in the search mode myself! One thing I did find that works as a really good supplement, is from a website called clicknkids.com/phonics and my dd loves it. We did HOP for a while, and she really liked the cd rom stuff but then finished that and didn't want to be constantly drilled in a book. I found the clicknkids, and she is doing really well. It has 100 lessons, they are doing it on their own (which my dd likes best) and then it shows how they have done at the end of the lesson. You can repeat the lessons if you need to.

Tammi

My ds didn't like OPG either. But I've found if I write the words and sentences on the white board he's fine with it. Something about looking at the page overwhelmed him. Just a thought. I haven't tried any other programs since I was lazy and wanted to make what I had work. :) We also use Bob Books and ETC. He used to really like ETC but lately not so much, so I may just cut it out and stick with OPG.

Well, I don't actually homeschool K-1st but all my children are reading by kindergarten anyway.

1. Learning letters and sounds: The all time favorite is the Phonics firefly. We use various videos, books, games, etc.

2. Reading: Flash cards for sight words (and, if, who, etc.) and Bob books.

We used 100 EL along with Before The Code and then went through the Explode the Code series...and LOTS of BOB books and beginner readers.

This is what I was thinking of. I have used this with my older kids, but I kind of wanted something that explained things more. I might just use this though as we have had success with it before.

American Language Series. I used it with my first 2 and then missed it with my next 3. Well, we used the readers but not the workbooks. Now I'm back to using the phonics workbooks with my ds 6.5 who just has not clicked yet with reading. We are also using Phonics Pathways. He told me this morning that he *loves* his blue book (American Language Series workbook).

I didn't bother it invest in the TM's again. I think the workbooks probably still match my old ones, but honestly I've just been winging it. Generally speaking, I can tell what word/sound the workbook page is wanting him to use/hear.

HTH,

Michele

Try Reading Made Easy by Valerie Bendt : http://www.valeriebendt.com

It's a bit similar to 100 EZ Lesson but the marking is simpler. I find the marking is very helpful to enable the child to read more easily and confidently at the early stage.

The scope and seq is rather different from regular reading program, going from short a to long a within a few lesson, without even going to other short vowel first. This, in combination with the early introduction of frequently used sight words like the, you, etc, enables the child to read interesting sentences and short stories within a few lessons. Hence, you practically do not need any other reader like bob books etc to accompany this program.

It also includes several games and kinesthetic activities to reinforce the reading. Plus, in each lesson, there are practices to read sentences without the marking to make the transition to non-marked reading easier.

In short, this book combines reading lesson with the love of reading. The later point, is often forgotten in many primers which mainly focus on decoding skills. I've used such primer in the past with my son, but we're both bored to tears. Really, to get your child to be motivated to read, they need to have interesting stories to read . You know, the one with meaningful sentences, not the tongue-twister sentences (KWIM ?). Reading MAde Easy supplies these stories(along with pictures) in abundance within a few lesson.

When you finish with this, you can make transition to non marked reading in several ways:

- making the readers (without marking) from the stories in this book.

- and then get other reader. In our home, we used Mc Guffey primer (first 30 lessons), then switched completely to a combination of Elson and Treadwell primer.

Both Elson and Treadwell primers are available free from google books and baldwin project respectively. I highly recommend these two primers. The language is easy enough, but the stories are not dumbed down. They are interesting to read. We enjoy these a lot in our home.

If you want to reinforce phonics to help with reading and to some extent, spelling, you can use explode the code workbooks at later point.

HTH

Dian

I do not have time to read all the replies right now, but my favorite phonics curriculum is Reading Made Easy by Valerie Bendt. It is a wonderful book, scripted, hands on, short easy lessons, etc.. Even has early grammar and copywork built in! ;) LOVE IT! :D

My first learned to read with Headsprout. I didn't want to spend that much money the 2nd time around, so with ds I just used the ETC books and lots of easy readers (Nora Gaydos, etc.) Worked like a charm! He is going into 2nd grade and can read practically anything now!

SWR worked really well for my 2nd ds, but it ended up being overwhelming for both of us.

I plan on using AAS with my dd. We have started already, actually, but so far it's just learning the first 26 phonograms. I know it's designed to be primarily a spelling program, but looks to me like an easier-to-teach version of SWR.

Kelsy

Hee, hee! I was just coming back to read the replies and talk about the LOVE of reading that Reading Made Easy develops and I see that has already been covered! :D So far all 3 of my older children that can read LOVE to read. I did not do any other phonics with them after RME and they can read just about anything you put in front of them. My 4yodd is dong the lessons now and everyday she asks for it. ;)

I used the Little Books from here: http://www.iseesam.com/ along with Explode the Code.

Kris

:iagree: This is what has finally worked for us!

We have tried sooo many programs (including SWR) & my dd just didn't like them. She had been so excited to learn to read & she was really starting to get burnt out on it.

But once we bought the "I see Sam" books everything changed & her love of learning to read has come back, with a passion. She wants to read them everyday, even on the weekends! I couldn't achieve that result with any of the other programs.

Here's the site I purchase them from, it's a little cheaper~ http://www.roadstoeverywhere.com/3RsPlusRead.html

Tiffany

Without reading everything else - BJU 1st Grade Phonics & English.

My middle one was an Abeka K4/5, OPGTR & ______ "flunky". But this STICKS, and she loves it! (her special needs in this area means we go really slow, but she retains it and uses it to sound out words all the time!).

And hey, you are already getting the satellite feed so gee, there you go! LOL!!

Without reading everything else - BJU 1st Grade Phonics & English.

My middle one was an Abeka K4/5, OPGTR & ______ "flunky". But this STICKS, and she loves it! (her special needs in this area means we go really slow, but she retains it and uses it to sound out words all the time!).

And hey, you are already getting the satellite feed so gee, there you go! LOL!!

LOL I did already buy the K beginnings program for her, but when I was having my insanity attack I was looking for alternatives. I will use the BJU with her, but I really do like the RME book and might buy that too.