Menu

Breakfast issues...

Need some help with gettting kids up and moving. Woke them at 9 and they are still not eating breakfast.

How long is reasonable to wake and get to table? My goal is 30 min for wake and breakfast. Is that not reasonable?

I feel like time just shoots through the hour glass. :(

Thanks.

Are they even breakfast eaters? I have never been able to eat right after waking up. It makes me feel sick. When I was a kid, I would have just a chocolate milk. My kids have only a drink in the first hour or two of waking up.

My kids need at least an hour before they are ready to function, as in going somewhere or just getting started with schoolwork. That's the least amount of time I need as well.

Do you mean they're not eating breakfast because there is no time, or because they're not hungry? I and several of my kids have never been breakfast eaters, although I know it's so good for you; I'm just not hungry in the morning! We at least slurp down fruit/yogurt smoothies, however. They're quick, easy, and nutritious!

How long is reasonable to wake and get to table?
My dc have 15 minutes to get dressed, make their beds and help a "little" get to the kitchen. The next 15 minutes is spent helping with breakfast in some way. So for me 30 minutes is plenty of time. There are logical consequences for those who chose to drag their feet rather than help (one morning of having to clean up the entire kitchen rather than doing their usual one small task is usually enough to get them moving faster the next morning ;)). I'm rather militaristic about this because if our morning starts slow and we are off as far as time goes it affects the rest of our day. Breakfast starts at 7:30; if someone shows up at 7:45 then they get 5 minutes to eat. If they show up at 7:50 then they will eat at lunchtime.

They don't like getting up early.
Some of my dc are not morning people and resist getting up early, too. I moved our wake up time from 6:30 to 7:00 and moved bedtime back by 30 minutes. For us, we decided that not liking to get up early wasn't a valid reason for sleeping in. My dh would love to sleep rather than get up and go to work, I could sure use more sleep after being up with babies, yet we get up because we need to and we want to teach our dc to do the same. For the sake of sanity, we need our dc to get up on time which means earlier than they would like to, yet for the most part it isn't an issue. If it becomes an issue then bedtime gets moved back by another 30 minutes...then another...then another... It didn't take my 15yod long to figure out that her complaining and dragging her feet in the morning wasn't worth going to bed at 5:30pm. :D

Do you mean they're not eating breakfast because there is no time, or because they're not hungry?
Good point. I'm fortunate in that my dc are hungry in the morning! Sometimes I wish they weren't as hungry!

Honestly, I had each ol?der one bring in a little so I could get school set up. Maybe I should get littles fed myself. That way olders can have consequence for not coming on time.

Five of seven will eat. I think one that skips needs to start eating something. I believe ds7 is hypoglycemic...like mama.

I am one of those that can't really eat for a while after waking. I can't even drink something that is thick. As a result, I never ate breakfast as a child. I now understand that breakfast is very important. I have now found that if I get moving and do some stuff, let about 30 minutes pass, and find something NOT SWEET then I can eat. I like sweet stuff, but I just can't do sweet in the morning. I like nuts, eggs (I will keep some hard boiled), bacon or ham (can be cold from the fridge), or something like leftover dinner in the fridge.

You may just need to experiment with your kids.

:grouphug::grouphug:

i think as soon as we're talking large family logistics, then the answers that are possible become different.

i came up with a schedule. its not negotiable. we can tweak it at sunday family dinner meetings.

eating breakfast is not optional. it is a health issue.

i read aloud at breakfast. they mostly don't want to miss that.

if they are late getting up, then that must be because they didn't get enough sleep. so the consequence to getting up late is going to bed 30 minutes earlier the next night. that continues until they can make it to the table on time. if they need more awake time before eating, they can get up earlier, which means they need to go to bed earlier. their call.

i think its a great idea to have the olders come with the littles if that works well. when our littles were very little, i let them sleep until they woke up. i had a basket of before five in a row books beside our bed, and when they wakened they would climb into bed with me and we'd read together. as long as they went to bed when they were tired (and no later than 8pm), they were up by 6am without fail..... long before the olders ; ). when they were still in their cribs, they would call, i'd go to them and we'd sit in the rocking chair and "read" together.

fwiw,

ann

Neither of my kids are breakfast eaters. They wake up around 7:30-8ish, watch Magic School Bus at 8:30 then we start school at 9. If they get hungry while doing school I'll make them a snack or an early lunch. I don't like eating in the morning so I don't expect my kids to. My oldest will actually feel sick to his stomach if he eats too early.

We're also not big breakfast eaters. We wake up and then read for an hour - DS10 in bed, DS7 and DS4 on the sofa with me. I then tell them to get dressed and have breakfast - DS10 and DS7 fix their own breakfast, I do something for DS4. The actual getting dressed and having breakfast takes about half an hour, then we're straight in to math. I warn them that if they aren't finished breakfast within that half hour, then they'll have to wait until lunch for anything else to eat; I think DS10 messed around one morning and missed breakfast, he's never done it again :D.

Best wishes

Cassy

I would make breakfast and call them to eat.

My sister is hypoglycemic, and needs eat or will go down hill fast.

Honestly, I had each ol?der one bring in a little so I could get school set up. Maybe I should get littles fed myself. That way olders can have consequence for not coming on time.

Five of seven will eat. I think one that skips needs to start eating something. I believe ds7 is hypoglycemic...like mama.