Menu

What's your favorite way to make chicken and fish?

For years I haven't eaten much of it because, frankly, I don't really enjoy it unless it's battered and fried or roasted with a ton of butter on the skin.

I'm trying to incorporate simpler, lighter, healthier eating and that includes more chicken and fish. I know there are ways to make both that are healthy and tasty, but I just don't know how to cook that way. I tend to use a lot of butter and cream and frying when I cook.

Anyone have any recipes for me? I don't care for salmon or dark meat chicken, and I don't like rosemary very much. Other than that I'm totally open to trying anything new (the easier and fewer ingredients, the better).

Thanks!

We embrace natural sat. fat, but we like chicken:

roasted whole chicken (if you liked buttery, would you feel okay about coating with olive oil on the skin to help crisp it up? And a little sea salt/seasonings?)

boneless/skinless thighs (organic from Costco) tossed w/ greek yogurt, a little EVOO, fresh garlic (or the frozen cubes of garlic from TJs), thyme, sea salt, and oregano. Sometimes a little lemon juice. Mix up and toss in thighs, and coat with yogurt mixture. I cook in the oven on 350-375 til done. We call it Greek chicken although I'm sure this is not quite authentically Greek ;)

We "bread" boneless/skinless thighs in whisked egg and then parmesan cheese and bake on a rack over a cookie sheet. Breasts work this way too. We don't do grains very often so this breading mixture (without bread) works well for us. You can tweak/season the parmesan with garlic powder, herbs, etc. too.

eta: just reread you don't like dark meat. Both of the above should work okay with chicken breast too.

Edited by Momof3littles

We embrace natural sat. fat, but we like chicken:

roasted whole chicken (if you liked buttery, would you feel okay about coating with olive oil on the skin to help crisp it up? And a little sea salt/seasonings?)

boneless/skinless thighs (organic from Costco) tossed w/ greek yogurt, a little EVOO, fresh garlic (or the frozen cubes of garlic from TJs), thyme, sea salt, and oregano. Sometimes a little lemon juice. Mix up and toss in thighs, and coat with yogurt mixture. I cook in the oven on 350-375 til done. We call it Greek chicken although I'm sure this is not quite authentically Greek ;)

We "bread" boneless/skinless thighs in whisked egg and then parmesan cheese and bake on a rack over a cookie sheet. Breasts work this way too. We don't do grains very often so this breading mixture (without bread) works well for us. You can tweak/season the parmesan with garlic powder, herbs, etc. too.

Thank you! These both sound delicious (with breasts instead of thighs).

Monk fish tail, marinated in soy sauce and balsamic vinegar, drained, broiled and served with a little butter. Everyone raves.

Chicken: roll a couple of lemons under your hands until they are the texture of a baby's butt. Prick with fork several time and stuff into the cavity of a roasting chicken. Put a bit of broth in the bottom with several whole peeled cloves of garlic. Rub with olive oil and a bit of pepper. Roast. Never any left.

Chicken - breast, cut up into cubes, roll in salt, pepper and thyme. Pan fry until cooked through. Set aside. In the pan (don't clean it) put lime juice, chicken stock and water. Cook until reduced to about 1/2. Add the chicken. Keep cooking until the sauce thickens. Serve with rice.

Also love: chicken boiled in chicken stock then shredded and served in fresh spring rolls (with spinach leaves, carrot and rice noodles), roast chicken with lemon and garlic, lemon chicken, honey soy chicken and teriyaki chicken.

Fish: I dip it in egg, lightly coat in flour then pan fry, serve with lemon. Or layer with lemon slices, sprinkle with dill and wrap in tinfoil. Oven bake for about 30 minutes. Or fish cakes - make a mash with potato, sweet potato or parsnip, add spring onions, dill (or sage), coat in crushed cornflakes and pan fry.

The easiest way is to marinate it in a light salad dressing. I'll put some dressing in the pan and then throw the meat in it, also. The kids love chicken marinated/cooked in ranch dressing, but we don't have that very often.

I've made what we call Italian chicken. In the crockpot I put the chicken, a can of tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning. Serve over rice or pasta.

The girls cooked firecracker salmon a few times, and we used that recipe for other fish and chicken. So good!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/firecracker-grilled-alaska-salmon/

Chicken curry is another favorite here. We use coconut milk and curry spices, serve with rice, peanuts, pineapple. Yum!

Of course, chicken in the crockpot by itself is delicious, imo. Then I use the broth for soup or freeze it for later. :)

Chicken - breast, cut up into cubes, roll in salt, pepper and thyme. Pan fry until cooked through. Set aside. In the pan (don't clean it) put lime juice, chicken stock and water. Cook until reduced to about 1/2. Add the chicken. Keep cooking until the sauce thickens. Serve with rice.

Also love: chicken boiled in chicken stock then shredded and served in fresh spring rolls (with spinach leaves, carrot and rice noodles), roast chicken with lemon and garlic, lemon chicken, honey soy chicken and teriyaki chicken.

Fish: I dip it in egg, lightly coat in flour then pan fry, serve with lemon. Or layer with lemon slices, sprinkle with dill and wrap in tinfoil. Oven bake for about 30 minutes. Or fish cakes - make a mash with potato, sweet potato or parsnip, add spring onions, dill (or sage), coat in crushed cornflakes and pan fry.

These sounds really good, particularly the chicken/lime dish and the fish cakes. YUM. Thanks!

For the fish cakes, what do you do with the fish, exactly? Just chop it up raw and add it to the stuff you mentioned? (Sorry...I really don't know how to cook fish).

I love Cajun seasoning, especially on fish. It adds a ton of flavor and spice. I also marinate chicken in Italian dressing. I cut it into small strips first, then marinate it, then serve it over rice or pasta with veggies. It can even be refrigerated and added to salads or sandwiches.

One recipe off the top of my head is for tilapia. I rinse it and then pat it dry with a paper towel. Then I season with salt and a little pepper. In a pan, I pour a little extra virgin olive oil and add onions and sliced garlic to sweat for a few minutes. When the onions are starting to become transparent, I add the fish and cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes per side on med-high heat. I serve the tilapia with the onions and garlic on top. Sometimes I make a sauce from the little bits left on the pan, but that's not as healthy. The kids like it seeds with rice and roasted broccoli.

Two favourite ways with chicken: whole roasted with olive oil, lemon juice squeezed over the top, and garlic, thyme and the squeezed out lemons in the cavity; chicken breast cubes, marinated in olive oil, lemon and fajita seasoning, then sauteed with strips of bell pepper.

Fish: sole or similar sauteed in olive oil or butter - you can dust it lightly first with flour if you want, so it browns, but it's not essential. Serve with lemon wedges.

Laura

These sounds really good, particularly the chicken/lime dish and the fish cakes. YUM. Thanks!

For the fish cakes, what do you do with the fish, exactly? Just chop it up raw and add it to the stuff you mentioned? (Sorry...I really don't know how to cook fish).

I just pan fry or oven bake the fish as in the above recipes then flake it in to the mash. Or used tinned salmon or tuna if I'm in a hurry. The chicken and lime is my #1 favourite easy meal.

I just pan fry or oven bake the fish as in the above recipes then flake it in to the mash. Or used tinned salmon or tuna if I'm in a hurry. The chicken and lime is my #1 favourite easy meal.

I'm making fish cakes tonight (I have some fresh tilapia that I need to use). sounds delicious. Thanks!

Wellllllll... it *could* be healthier, if you left off the cream sauce I like to pair with it, LOL.... We like to grill nice big boneless chicken breasts on the grill with a lime-pepper seasoning mix we get at Sam's. In winter I sometimes pan saute' them this way, adding some lemon juice as I cook them.... Broccoli with lemon (or the sauce, is a good accompaniment)....

We pan saute' fish with lemon and lemon pepper quite a lot, too....

We had chicken breasts last night that were seasoned with just a little garlic and a few teaspoons of taco seasoning and cooked in 1 to 1 1/2 cups of black bean corn salsa. We cooked it in a skillet with olive oil and topped it with some cheese and sour cream and cooked some extra black beans and it was so good. You can also bake it in the oven so the cheese gets baked onto it or throw it into a crockpot. It was so easy and so good and easy to sub low fat cheeses and sour creams.

None of us were ever fish eaters but have been enjoying the mild taste of tilapia broiled with a little garlic, salt, pepper, lemon, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and reduced fat Colby Jack cheese on it.

Edited by NanceXToo

We had chicken breasts last night that were seasoned with just a little garlic and a few teaspoons of taco seasoning and cooked in 1 to 1 1/2 cups of black bean corn salsa. We cooked it in a skillet with olive oil and topped it with some cheese and sour cream and cooked some extra black beans and it was so good. You can also bake it in the oven so the cheese gets baked onto it or throw it into a crockpot. It was so easy and so good and easy to sub low fat cheeses and sour creams.

None of us were ever fish eaters but have been enjoying the mild taste of tilapia broiled with a little garlic, salt, pepper, lemon, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and reduced fat Colby Jack cheese on it.

Tried another new healthy chicken recipe tonight that was a hit over here, just found it online tonight, tried it out, and everyone liked it.

I put 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves in a big glass casserole dish. In a bowl I combined a small can of low-fat cream of mushroom soup, a teaspoon of lemon juice, a small diced onion, 1 1/2 cups of fresh mushrooms and some salt and pepper to taste, spread it all evenly over the chicken breasts, baked it in a 350 oven for almost an hour, and then served it over rice with some green beans on the side. If you've ever had the "Saturday chicken and rice" at Cracker Barrel, it tasted something like that. A chicken with mushroom gravy which thinned out a lot while it cooked giving it a nice gravy to spoon over everything with lots of juice for the chicken to cook in, keeping it nice and tender while it cooked... we really enjoyed it!

So between that and the "salsa chicken" we also tried recently, I've got a couple of new chicken dishes to keep circulating myself, which is good, because I eat a lot of chicken and it helps keep it from getting too boring.

I also sometimes do a "healthier" version of chicken scampi or shrimp scampi by using I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper and either chicken or shrimp and I'll add broccoli and mushrooms and try to have just a small amount of whole grain rice or whole wheat pasta with it.

You can also do a healthy baked chicken parm instead of frying in oil and use a more low-fat cheese.

Chicken or shrimp fajitas with whole-grain wraps, low-fat cheese and sour cream and lots of veggies sauteed in just a bit of healthy olive oil....

How's your quest for healthier chicken and fish recipes going, anyway? :D

Two of our favorite chicken preparations:

Marcella Hazan's Chicken with Two Lemons: http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/roastchickenwit.shtml is awesome. No added fat and it's self-basting.

Chicken Spezzatino: http://italian.food.com/recipe/giadas-chicken-spezzatino-stew-120256

For fish, I often just sprinkle some EVOO and green herbs on fillets and roast them at high heat -- 475/500 degrees F -- 'til they're done.

I broil chicken with Lawry's seasoned salt. Dh and kids love it! I use party wings, just season it with Lawry's, and broil. Super easy and quick!

:iagree: Lawry's seasoned chicken is one of our top three chicken favs. I heavily season the chicken and bake at 350 for 30-40 min. I put metal cookie cooling racks on top of a glass pyrex pan, and the chicken then goes on top of the metal racks. That way the chicken doesn't sit in the juices and the skin crisps very nicely.