Menu

Can I give a raw turkey neck to a dog?

Cats can too, but cats can be slow eaters for raw food. It's actually the reason we switched back to regular food for them. Our dogs will chomp down whatever you give them in five minutes, but the cats will gnaw and bat things around all afternoon. I don't enjoy stepping on chicken wings that have escaped the food bowl.

Does anyone here know if the same holds true for cats?

I have 4 cats who have been raw all their lives - my eldest cat is 13. :)

Cats can do raw quite well but they usually need it ground. They can do chicken necks for dental care but they need things like taurine that is much easier to give to cats ground up in their raw food.

I feed either Instinct or Primal to the cats and I supplement with ground liver and a lot of ground hearts.

You can, I would watch for any reactions due to the different food.

Does anyone here know if the same holds true for cats?

I switched my kitty to 100% raw about 5 years ago and it improved her health a lot. She is now 21 years old, and still in (relatively) good shape. Absolutely deaf though. :glare:

I do grind up her food, as she has bad teeth. If she were young I'd give her whole bones to gnaw on. (That's supposed to be better for the cat, but it's not possible for my old girl.)

Well the Brittany got the neck. Of course, she had to eat it IN the house, too good to eat it outside. (I mean, it feels like a beautiful spring day and we have almost no snow, but the poor puppy, outside! How could we do that to her?!) :)

And yes, sometimes it takes a bit of work to switch a dog's eating habits.

She is now 21 years old, and still in (relatively) good shape. Absolutely deaf though. :glare:

Is she deaf all the time, or just when you want her to get off the couch? ;)

My dog went deaf when she had a stroke, but she adapted very well to it. Thankfully she was a super-smart dog and already knew a lot of hand signals. She was a Sheltie, and she was always by my side, so I didn't have much trouble with having to call her from another room in the house.

We also had a deaf cat, and although she was fine with the whole thing, I definitely think she used it to her advantage. She'd look straight at me with big blank eyes, like, "I can't hear you so you can't tell me what to do! :001_tt2:" I know full well that she secretly knew exactly what I meant and was just toying with me to prove she was the smarter one, but there wasn't much I could do about it. (Again, probably all part of her Evil Master Plan...:tongue_smilie:)