Menu

Anyone diagnosed with MS?

For over 5 years now I have had episodes of numbness/tingling in both of my hands. Within the past year it has gotten worse. It now effects both arms from the elbows down. Sometimes it is so bad that I can hardly grip things. I am also noticing that I have slight tremors in both hands when I am attempting things that require fine motor. For example, when trying to tap something on my touch screen phone my hand trembles and I have to really concentrate to make sure that I'm tapping in the right place. I also really have to concentrate when doing things like writing and using a mouse.

Recently, I have noticed that occasionally I feel slight tingling in my legs, back, and head. I have also had Reynaud's phenomenon for years. My hands will turn blue and get so cold that they are painful.

These episodes tend to wax and wane. Months will go by and I seem to be okay. Then all of sudden it will flare up and I have trouble doing even basic things.

Just last week I had an EMG and nerve conduction study done to check the nerves in both arms. They were ruling out carpel tunnel and tennis elbow. Both tests came back normal.

My Neurologist ordered a Cervical MRI with contrast and I just had that done last night. He said that he is checking for Multiple Sclerosis. I haven't gotten the results back for that yet.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here in the Hive has been diagnosed with MS. If so, what were your sypmtoms and how were you diagnosed? Also, if you have MS, how do you cope with it?

I'm worried about this but I am also optimistic. I don't think I'd be as worried if it hadn't been going on for over 5 years and progressively getting worse. I am also 34 which statistically is the prime age for a MS diagnosis.

Any thoughts? :confused: Thanks!

My mom has MS. She was diagnosed in her 30s. She is doing well with it. She tires easier and has changed her diet. Look for MS cookbooks to get more info. I l know she takes a shot to help with symptoms.

She had major vertigo before she was diagnosed.

:grouphug:

My mom has MS. She was diagnosed in her 30s. She is doing well with it. She tires easier and has changed her diet. Look for MS cookbooks to get more info. I l know she takes a shot to help with symptoms.

She had major vertigo before she was diagnosed.

That's reassuring. If you don't mind my asking, how long has your mom had MS? Thanks.

That's reassuring. If you don't mind my asking, how long has your mom had MS? Thanks.

I think she was officially diagnosed in 89... But had that vertigo and some other symptoms a couple years before that.

She does have issues with heat and needs to be more careful about overextending herself. I think her version is mild overall.

Same here. Mom was diagnosed in her early 30s and is now 70. It has definitely had a dramatic impact on everyone, but we feel so blessed that she is still with us and doing "ok" after almost 40 years. If there are questions I can help with, please ask!

She was diagnosed in 1998, at the age of 44. Her major symptom was balance issues. She would have to steady herself on pieces of furniture as she walked across the room. This had been going on for years, but the doctor wouldn't really listen to her. She wasn't diagnosed until she lost all control of one leg one day. She had an MRI of her back, but it didn't show anything. When they did an MRI of her brain, that's when they found it.

Hers was a pretty aggressive form and she passed away from it this past spring. I don't want to scare you with that. MS is such a strange disease and affects everyone differently.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I was diagnosed in 2002. One morning I couldn't shake the feeling of my legs being asleep. In a couple days I was particially numb from the waist down and had shooting pains in the chest. It was hard for me to move my legs. I was hospitalized and I had an MRI, spinal tap and some nerve test. I can't remember the name of the test, but they put teeny tiny needle-like things in my lege and tested the nerves. I was on steroids. My health started to improve, but I was exhasted. I got the diagnosis. I was 100% better in a couple weeks. I got those shots but I hated to give them to myself so I quit. after a couple of months.

I have never had another problem with the disease.

I had the same symptoms you described... They waxed and waned, but were progressively worse. When it got to the point that I often could not hold a coffee cup (Yes, I love my coffee!) or open a baby gate... I was desperate.

I ended up with an MS diagnosis. Plaques in my brain and symptoms supported it. My neuro and rheumy were both convinced.

But - and this is a big, big *but*... I was fortunate. With a lot of research, work, and the help of a very astute nurse practitioner - we found out that I had tick borne diseases. I thought that was fabulous, and it would be an easy fix. It wasn't. It took me years, under the care of a very renowned doctor, to get my life back to normal. It was a hard road. It was worth it though - no more of the symptoms! I'm 2.5 years off of all TBD treatment, and symptom free. It's blissful.

I hope whatever is causing your symptoms will be easily resolved. :grouphug:

I started having symptoms about 9 years ago, and it took a few years to get a formal diagnosis. I've been doing tysabri infusions for almost 5 years now, and it has slowed the progression of the disease. I have lesions on my spinal cord and brain. I deal with numbness & tingling, balance issues, fatigue, speech & cognitive issues, and heat just about kills me (and I live in Florida! :glare:). It's not easy to live with, but it could be much worse. I've learned to adapt to my limitations (most of the time).

I was diagnosed in August of 2009. For me, my thumb and index finger went numb. After a couple weeks of being numb I went in and they were checking for a pinched nerve in my neck but when they couldn't find anything they ordered several more test including a MRI and it was discovered I had MS. I have had approx 4-5 flares in that time and I'm having one now brought on by some very stressful things in my life.

When I flare, my neck and upper arm are very painful due to muscle spasms. I also get spasms in my forearm on the other side and calves during this time. I get tired quickly as well.

My Ms is what's called relapse remitting so I'll go a while with just my normal numbness and then occasionally I'll flare. I could go in for steroids and another MRI to verify it but for me it's not worth it. I hate the steroids and another MRI isn't going to change anything. (I get one yearly anyway) I take a shot 3X's a week which is not fun but when I was off of them for 6 months last year I went from shrinking lesions on my brain to a new one so I figured it was worth it to start back on them.

If you need someone to chat with PM me and I'll be glad to talk to you. It's scary hearing those words but at least you will know you are not crazy and the things you are experiencing are not in your head!

There are other things it could be though so don't worry yet...oh and stay away from Dr. Google, he is NOT your friend!!!!

Dawn

Dh was diagnosed in the early 90s. But back in the 80s he was having problems with optic neuritis, so probably had it then.

He had a spinal tap and ... I forget what else because it's been so long. Probably an MRI. Whatever was standard in the early 90s, that's what he had.

He handles it with diet, exercise, and supplements. He's really, really good at finding doctors that are open to research and discussion (we move around a lot, so have to switch it up every so often; oddly, his past 2 doctors actually knew each other even though they were 4 states away from each other). Many neurologists are not-so-great to work with, so he generally goes for a general practitioner. He spends loads of time researching health.

He has problems with vision, numbness in one leg, currently walks with a limp (one of his friends, a martial arts instructor, thought that was a great excuse to carry a cane and learn cane fighting -- nothing like looking on the bright side, y'know).

Currently he is being treated for Lymes disease, which probably precipitated the entire slide into MS.

He could probably talk your ear off on the subject. His biggest thing is to not sit passively wringing your hands (so to speak) and trusting your doctor to do the best thing. Research! Ask questions! Become as healthy as possible outside of the parameters of the MS, so the MS is the only thing your body has to deal with -- and that may include lifestyle changes, changes in diet and exercise. You can start figuring out diet and exercise NOW, while waiting for your results, and then even if it's not MS you've really not wasted any effort, because, hey, why not get healthy?

(He's always done really well with swimming as exercise - YMMV.)

So MS is diagnosed with an MRI of the brain? My sister has had issues for several years and she was supposedly tested for MS and it was supposedly negative. But her continuing symptoms do sound like MS. She recently had a fall that was pretty bad, and she was conscious while falling but did not put out her hands to stop her fall.

My mom emailed with this info about her experiences. Hope it is helpful. She's also willing to answer some questions via email if you want. PM me for address if you want

>

> & my first symptom was vision. *Lost

> sight in one eye rather suddenly. *That was 85 when I was 36. *The

> year after was the vertigo. *And there were slight issues related to

> balance, falling, incontinence, very slight tremor, tingling,

> fatigue... etc. *Diagnosed in 90 with MRI. *Some more exacerbations in

> the 90's with times of tingling, etc, including another episode of

> vision problems in the other eye. *Now, however (age 62), mostly

> normal *neurological tests and basically stable for 10 years or so.

> Have been taking Avonex for 10 years. *There are a number of "disease

> modifying" drugs that are helpful and more coming all the time.

> National MS Society web site and support groups are good. *Much

> information on line and good resources. *They also have some excellent

> programs they present in most locations. *Each support group is

> different, of course. *Some are better than others. *And sometimes I

> was a bit frightened by meeting people who had really bad symptoms.

> (Fearful that I'd be in a wheelchair soon.) * But I've also learned a

> great deal from meeting so many other people with MS, and I've always

> connected with other people with MS to learn about resources in the

> community where I've lived. *(I'm no longer frighted that I may be in

> a wheelchair, because someone once talked about it as a way to save

> energy for what she really wanted to do, when she went somewhere. *And

> over the decades, I've come to realize if I do end up in a wheelchair

> someday, it will more likely be related to a car accident than my MS.)

> *I've certainly been fortunate with my MS, some of which may be

> attributed to the medicine and some just to luck. *Vitamin D is really

> looking like it's important, too, and some care with diet may be

> useful, but I think traditional meds with a good neurologist and

> learning as much as possible is most helpful. *And accepting some

> healthy limits. *I'd be happy to talk to anyone with MS because it's

> not always severe, but a diagnosis is frightening. * (Also am just

> reading a neat article about Meredith Vieira & Richard Cohen in the

> current AARP magazine. *He has a severe form of MS and I read his book

> from a few years back.)

>

My mom was diagnosed with MS right after I was born - 1978. I understand her first major symptom - and the one leading to diagnosis - was loss of vision in both eyes. She regained her sight within a short period (as I don't remember her being blind as a kid!!). She then did fine (relatively) until about 1994. I remember as a teenager in high school that she started to have lots of balance issues & went to using a single cane for support.

Within the next 10 years, she slipped from one cane to two, then to a walker, then a wheelchair, then an electric wheelchair, then back to a wheelchair with other people pushing. It was bad. Horrible and devastating, even. :(

Sometime in 2003-ish she went into assisted living, as my dad just wasn't able to have her at home while he worked full-time (she would fall in the bathroom and be there until he got home or the lady he had helping came - she would go to the bathroom and end up with poo spread everywhere that only got worse as she tried to clean - etc). She still had her mind but no good physical ability - she was able to get her phd sometime in 2004-ish. Around that time, things went even further downhill. She started to lose her mental facility and her physical abilities deteriorated even further (unable to even stand up to go to the bathroom). She was moved to a full nursing home in 2005 and died later that year of "heart issues related to MS".

And through it all, she was still the most loving, caring, happy woman I've ever known.

Wow. I miss my mom. I'm so sorry to have been such a doom & gloom bringer... :(

I had some very serious symptoms years ago, and I was absolutely convinced I had MS. I knew how difficult it was to diagnose initially, so I went to work researching natural treatments and started to help myself.

My symptoms were very similar to yours. My arms and hands went numb. I couldn't hold onto a phone to talk, and this happened around the time we had our barn built. I remember not being able to hold onto a paint brush so I could stain the wood. I also lost feeling in my legs, and I once got stung by a bee many times and never truly felt it. I felt the initial "something" then no pain at all, just welts. I also felt these "electric" bolts going up my arms. It wasn't tingling, it felt like I was being electrocuted. I went to several docs and neuros, no help. I was desperate because we were in the middle of the adoption process, and I knew if I had a serious diagnosis I had to report it to our agency. So I kept researching to help myself. I was SO afraid that I wouldn't be able to hold the baby or walk the Great Wall of China that at one point we changed our travel plans so dh could go for me. Dh and I did a LOT of crying back then. I was such a weak mess.

I spent a TON of months researching MS. I found out about a man who was confined to a wheelchair for YEARS and he reversed his symptoms simply by changing his diet. If I remember right (we're talking 10 years ago!) I think he was on a paleo diet. If you google "How To Reverse MS Through Diet" or "The MS Diet" I'm sure you'll get a good diet plan. I can't find the man I was speaking of at the moment. Anyway, my symptoms absolutely went away. I was about to start bee sting therapy when I realize I truly didn't need treatment at the time. Remember, I was desperate to be strong and well so I could complete my adoption.

I am having some pretty extreme and scary symptoms now, totally different than the ones I experienced before. I definitely think something is neurologically off with me, but I can't find anyone to pay any attention at all. I plan to start a new way of life diet in the new year. I feel I need to be strong and healthy to be here to finish raising my girls. So I need to try to help myself again.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Please try changing your diet. It's at least worth a try to see if it will help. I remember doing tons of research, and I know certain supplements truly do help.

My mom was diagnosed about 5 years ago but when they did the brain scans they told her she had probably had MS for about 20 years! She had been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and had been operating under that assumption for years and years. It wasn't until she had a major episode - extreme numbness in one leg - that they finally did an MRI and diagnosed MS. She does give herself a daily injection which is supposed to slow the progress. She has a bit of a limp and finds it difficult to walk on uneven surfaces...but other than that no visible symptoms. She is full of energy and is even with us in India this winter!

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has responded so far. I'm still trying to make sense out of things. I'm in the early stages of trying to figure out what's going on with me so that's why I appreciate any and all info. I can get.

Thanks again guys. You all are great!!!! :grouphug:

I had some very serious symptoms years ago, and I was absolutely convinced I had MS. I knew how difficult it was to diagnose initially, so I went to work researching natural treatments and started to help myself.

My symptoms were very similar to yours. My arms and hands went numb. I couldn't hold onto a phone to talk, and this happened around the time we had our barn built. I remember not being able to hold onto a paint brush so I could stain the wood. I also lost feeling in my legs, and I once got stung by a bee many times and never truly felt it. I felt the initial "something" then no pain at all, just welts. I also felt these "electric" bolts going up my arms. It wasn't tingling, it felt like I was being electrocuted. I went to several docs and neuros, no help. I was desperate because we were in the middle of the adoption process, and I knew if I had a serious diagnosis I had to report it to our agency. So I kept researching to help myself. I was SO afraid that I wouldn't be able to hold the baby or walk the Great Wall of China that at one point we changed our travel plans so dh could go for me. Dh and I did a LOT of crying back then. I was such a weak mess.

I spent a TON of months researching MS. I found out about a man who was confined to a wheelchair for YEARS and he reversed his symptoms simply by changing his diet. If I remember right (we're talking 10 years ago!) I think he was on a paleo diet. If you google "How To Reverse MS Through Diet" or "The MS Diet" I'm sure you'll get a good diet plan. I can't find the man I was speaking of at the moment. Anyway, my symptoms absolutely went away. I was about to start bee sting therapy when I realize I truly didn't need treatment at the time. Remember, I was desperate to be strong and well so I could complete my adoption.

I am having some pretty extreme and scary symptoms now, totally different than the ones I experienced before. I definitely think something is neurologically off with me, but I can't find anyone to pay any attention at all. I plan to start a new way of life diet in the new year. I feel I need to be strong and healthy to be here to finish raising my girls. So I need to try to help myself again.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Please try changing your diet. It's at least worth a try to see if it will help. I remember doing tons of research, and I know certain supplements truly do help.

Denise,

Thank you for this info. I will definitely look into the MS diet. Like you, I am willing to try just about anything at this point.

I have actually wondered if this could be happening as a result of some type of deficiency. I have already found out that I have a very low iron level and I have had some anemia this past year. Hopefully I can figure out something. I think I'll get the results of my MRI back on Tuesday. It will be a long 3 days!!!

So MS is diagnosed with an MRI of the brain? My sister has had issues for several years and she was supposedly tested for MS and it was supposedly negative. But her continuing symptoms do sound like MS. She recently had a fall that was pretty bad, and she was conscious while falling but did not put out her hands to stop her fall.

MS is diagnosed by ruling other things out. A lumbar puncture and MRI are usually part of the battery of tests to try to determine the problem, but aren't definitive. Many neurological diseases share the same or similar symptoms which makes them so difficult to diagnose. It is discouraging to be sick for so long, and have no answers as to why, but encourage your sister to persist until she finds a dr. that will figure out why she's suffering.

Check out the MS Recovery Diet book by Ann Sawyer. it is based around eliminating foods that trigger an immune response, as it is the immune response that causes destruction of the myelin sheath that surrounds nerve fibers much like insulation protects wires. When the myelin is damaged the nerves "short-circuit" and people suffer symptoms.

The premise of the diet based approaches is to slow or stop the destruction of myelin by curbing immune responses to known "trigger foods" like yeast, gluten, legumes, dairy, and eggs.

It is not a "cure," but rather a way to limit symptoms.

Best wishes,

Bill

Check out the MS Recovery Diet book by Ann Sawyer. it is based around eliminating foods that trigger an immune response, as it is the immune response that causes destruction of the myelin sheath that surrounds nerve fibers much like insulation protects wires. When the myelin is damaged the nerves "short-circuit" and people suffer symptoms.

The premise of the diet based approaches is to slow or stop the destruction of myelin by curbing immune responses to known "trigger foods" like yeast, gluten, legumes, dairy, and eggs.

It is not a "cure," but rather a way to limit symptoms.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for the book Bill. I will certainly take a look. :001_smile:

My mom has lived with MS for 30 years, and she can still take care of my four children and lives an active life. She taught Kindergarten for 15 years after her diagnosis.

For sure, it has had a huge impact on her life (numbness, pain, weakness, vision troubles), but she has learned to avoid heat and stress, and to stay active. She exercises daily and eats well. She has also been part of a drug study for the last five years that has helped keep relapses to a minimum.

Here's some info that I have that may be of interest/help.

MS SYMPTOMS

Searing pain across one side of face

Extreme fatigue

Muscle weakness

Blurred vision

Loss of balance

Poor coordination

Numbness

Muscle Pain

Loss of mobility

http://www.nmss.org

SUPPLEMENTS

Vitamin D3

The association between D3 and MS is compelling

Vitamin D helps normalize brain function. Its protective effects on nerve growth factors in the brain make it an ideal nutrient to use for either the prevention or treatment of MS.

There are more people with MS who live in the low altitudes of Switzerland than in the high altitudes where UV rays are stronger. Almost no cases of MS can be found at the equator, but the further away you go, the more MS you find. Countries farther from the equator typically have higher MS rates.

People with MS often have enough vitamin D to keep their bones healthy, but not enough to prevent the disease or reduce its symptoms

Ask your doctor to check your vitamin D level quarterly. It should be at least 60 ng/mL.

If you're under 60, take at least 2,000 IU per day.

If you're 60 or over, take at least 5,000 IU per day of vitamin D3.

Your need for vitamin D3 is affected by age, skin color, and the severity of any deficiency

Don't be concerned that 2,000-5,000 IU will give you too much. The human body can make 10,000 IU of Vitamin D in 30 minutes of sun exposure – children included – with no ill effects.

In addition, no adverse effects have been seen with supplemental vitamin D intakes up to 10,000 IU daily.

To this day, medical textbooks mention the risk of vitamin D toxicity. Yet, the scientific literature suggests that toxicity occurs only with very large intakes of vitamin D over prolonged periods (more than 10,000 IUs daily for longer than 6 months). Except in people with disorders known as granulomatosis (such as sarcoidosis or tuberculosis), little risk (if any) is associated with vitamin D supplementation.

Most people are deficient!

• Body-mass index (BMI) and obesity

• Older people

• Dark-skinned people

• Strict vegetarians

• People with celiac, Crohn’s disease, and cystic fibrosis

• Heredity

• Certain medications

• Regular use of sunscreen

• Northern Latitudes (above that of Atlanta, Georgia)

D3 in pill form is very poorly absorbed.

Be sure to take the oil-filled gelatin capsules, and take them with a meal that contains fat to help with absorption.

If you have your D3 levels tested and you’re low, you can go up to 10,000 IU per day for a couple of months, and then re-test to see if there's improvement.

If you get your D3 levels tested, I think the ideal is to get them to levels of at least 60-70.

If it turns out that your body just doesn't absorb vitamin D very well, you may wish to talk to your doctor about whether 30 minutes of daily sun exposure in warm weather or very short tanning sessions in cold weather would be appropriate.

Omega-3 supplements (3 grams daily – Carlson’s Fish Oil)

Evening Primrose Oil (GLA) or from black currant seed and borage oils

Take it on a full stomach in 2 divided doses, equally spaced during the day.

Take up to 500 mg EPO 2-3 times daily or 2000 mg total daily

Don’t use GLA if you take an antiseizure Rx.

GLA supplements provide anti-inflammatory prostaglandins. These good fats also lower cholesterol and triglycerides, ease depression, reduce the risk of autoimmune disorders, and combat allergies.

New Chapter’s Zyflamend is said to be a great supplement

Probiotics help fight inflammation and bacteria in the gut

Any probiotic you take should contain at least 1-5 billion colony-forming units (CFUs).

Nature’s Way Primadoophilus Optima delivers more than 35-billion CFUs.

Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics 12 PLUS

Culturelle

Nature’s Way Probifia Pearls

Enzymatic Therapy Acidophilus Pearls

Jarrow

Edited by Negin in Grenada

NUTRITION

You will benefit from a gluten-free diet if you have:

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ An autoimmune condition like lupus, psoriasis, or rheumatoid arthritis

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ If you regularly experience 2 or more of the following symptoms:

Abdominal Pain

Gas and Bloating (especially after eating bread)

Diarrhea

Frequent heartburn

Allover Weakness

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Eliminate bread, pasta, barley, and rye

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Read food labels to avoid sources of gluten: soy sauce, lunch meats, blue cheese. Google Ă¢â‚¬Å“avoid glutenĂ¢â‚¬ for a complete list.

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Add more fresh fruits, vegetables, and rice to your diet.

Anti-Inflammatory Diet

EAT MORE

Olive oil

Rapeseed oil

Oily fish twice a week (sardines, anchovies, mackerel, salmon)

Omega-3 eggs

Nuts

LambsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢-ear salad

Green vegetables

Linseed or flaxseed oil

Flax seeds

Chia Seeds

Ginger

Fresh fruits and veggies Ă¢â‚¬â€œ make sure youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re getting some of every color

Turmeric

LIMIT

Reduce dietary sources of inflammation-promoting omega-6s:

Red meat, especially if it is produced by industrial farming techniques and if it does not carry an Ă¢â‚¬Å“omega-3Ă¢â‚¬ label

Dairy products

Eggs not marked Ă¢â‚¬Å“omega-3Ă¢â‚¬

Sunflower oil

Corn oil

Safflower oil

Soybean oil

Sugar

Processed and fast foods

Dairy and gluten may trigger inflammation, so consider eliminating them for a few weeks

Drink plenty of fluids

Acupuncture has helped many with fatigue and balance problems

Practice relaxation techniques

Gentle forms of exercise like yoga and tai chi help. Just don’t overdo it.

MS is a common symptom of a congested lymphatic system. Things that help to clear up the lymphatic system:

• Rebounding (may not be possible or recommended - although there is a really nice-looking rebounding chair that I would love to have - expensive, but great)

• Deep Breathing

• Dry Body Brushing

• Massage and/or Reflexology

Trekking Poles – those that are commonly used for hiking – these help create a more natural gait

Using these poles properly also strengthens core muscles

If you’re toning your core, which is so important for balance, then you’re achieving bilateral stability

From what others have posted here (I think):

I've seen a number of people report having luck with an anti-inflammatory diet (such as paleo, GAPS, SCD, and things like that).

http://www.nutrisclerosis.com/ has info on that.

Try this website - it's very helpful. The guy who runs it has MS and has controlled it using natural therapies - he is a doctor too.

http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/

My friend has MS and has a website here. She talks about how she's never been on any medication for it and just recently watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead where two men cure their autoimmune disorders. I know once she found out she had MS (3 years ago when she was pregnant with her youngest) she did gluten free for awhile. She did cut out all MSG, HFCS, colorings, preservatives, etc from her diet.

http://www.clairissacooper.com/?p=1380

Yes about the GAPS diet! My mom's friend just has been really careful all her life with lowfat foods and decent eating. I would say that I'd look at studies outside the US to see "other" choices. I'd also seriously go to a DR that has a good reputation in using Eastern Medicine. I'd investigate Acupuncture, too.

I worked on a television series centered on alternative medicine. One of the profiles we did was on a woman with MS named Ann Sawyer. As a scientist (psychotherapist) Ms Sawyer delved into the literature when she was diagnosed.

She found studies linking MS symptoms and diet. Building on the work of others and connecting a few dots she has postulated a link between some key "trigger foods," foods known to produce an immune response in people with many different illnesses.

Among the problematic dietary items are gluten, eggs, dairy, legumes, and yeast. In addition to these common trigger foods she believes there are "individual trigger foods" that cause an immune response in some people but not others and one needs to know ones body to know when a food is a "trigger."

Ann Sawyer has a book called "The MS Recovery Diet." In it she outlines in detail the science behind her beliefs, how an immune response physiologically leads to damage to the myelin sheath surrounding nerves and how this damage to myelin is what causes MS symptoms.

She does not claim to "cure" MS. The diet simply aims at preventing the cascade of effects that comes with setting off an immune response, myelin damage, and MS symptoms.

Ms Sawyer struck me as completely sincere. Both she and her co-author had very debilitating MS and were living close to normal lives. We spoke with others who claim there lives were turned around following the diet.

Since the essence of this plan is to follow a type of "elimination diet" no one is making money selling you expensive supplements or treatments.

I tend to be "skeptical" of alternative health claims, and I would urge you to do your own research. I can only say I was very impressed by Ann Sawyer and her story. And there seemed to be (from my limited perspective as a non-scientist) a well explained scientific basis for "why" some foods could cause an immune response and how that could lead to symptoms.

I always thought if I had a loved one who came down with MS this is an approach I would urge then to consider. There is no real downside, other than the eliminations of some popular food ingredients from ones diet.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

Another person with MS here. I was diagnosed April Fool's Day this year (2011).

I had dealt with intense chest/anxiety attacks, black-outs and disorientation, and difficulty swallowing on occasion. At first, we chalked it up to stress and started antidepressants. Then, the numbness began and I temporarily lost-vision and that was the easy diagnosis! MRIs confirmed I had 2 lesions on my brain and spine.

I am on a daily shot and some added vitamins, and am doing great! The long-term prognosis is wonderful. All I really notice know is some skin sensitivity to water in the shower, pool, etc, and extra tiredness.

Not a great dx, but certainly better than others!

For over 5 years now I have had episodes of numbness/tingling in both of my hands. Within the past year it has gotten worse. It now effects both arms from the elbows down. Sometimes it is so bad that I can hardly grip things. I am also noticing that I have slight tremors in both hands when I am attempting things that require fine motor. For example, when trying to tap something on my touch screen phone my hand trembles and I have to really concentrate to make sure that I'm tapping in the right place. I also really have to concentrate when doing things like writing and using a mouse.

Recently, I have noticed that occasionally I feel slight tingling in my legs, back, and head. I have also had Reynaud's phenomenon for years. My hands will turn blue and get so cold that they are painfu

Any thoughts? :confused: Thanks!

Please check tick borne diseases! A friend of mine lived in Maryland and three of her seven children have lyme disease all three with different symptoms...

• 2 weeks later...

Im having a brain MRI to check for MS Tuesday. This is a great thread with good info. I have officially been diagnosed with Graves Disease (autoimmune hyperthyroidism) and have one or both Lupus and MS. I also have symptoms of Raynauds. I have obvious CNS involvement but it could come from autoimmune issues in my spine from lupus as well. We shall see! It's very scary and tiring right now.

Im having a brain MRI to check for MS Tuesday. This is a great thread with good info. I have officially been diagnosed with Graves Disease (autoimmune hyperthyroidism) and have one or both Lupus and MS. I also have symptoms of Raynauds. I have obvious CNS involvement but it could come from autoimmune issues in my spine from lupus as well. We shall see! It's very scary and tiring right now.

:grouphug: Good luck to you. Hope you get useful information and things get a bit less scary.