Menu

So upset...my Facebook hacked

I don't post to Facebook very much, and usually it's business related. Anyway, I logged on tonight and somehow, someone had posted on my page AS ME saying HATES HER CHILDREN! As in [my name] hates her children! And all these people posted on the thread like 'yea, me too!" and so on. I would never, ever post such a thing on Facebook, and am actually shaking I am so upset.

To be clear, someone was posting AS ME, meaning they somehow logged on as me to write it!! Why would someone do that? My password is only known to me!

I think it's time to say goodbye to FB. I am so upset.

Ugh, that's the worst. I had someone hack my account once and fabricate a bunch of pms to try to make it look like I was having an affair. :thumbdown: Not cool. And I never did figure out who did it. It was the strangest thing ever.

Be sure you change your passwords for fb and email, since often people hack into facebook through your email.

Could it be one of your kids? I see that all the time. The mom gets back on and posts something like, "Mikey is going to be in a lot of trouble when I find him! LOL" That way people know that the kid did it. (Although, my kids usually post something like, "Sam is my favorite child." Posted by Sam, of course!)

When my sister is here, if I leave myself logged in (I do that all the time!), she'll post as me. Most people know and will post something like, "Hmmmm . . . your sister must be in your house again!"

I hope it's that and not anything else!!!

That's horrible!!! I would be extremely upset.

As another poster mentioned could one of your kids have done it as a joke? You know, because you assign so much work, or made them take a test the week before Christmas, something like that. Maybe you hadn't logged completely out of Facebook and they were able to bring it back up on the computer you had been using?

I'm trying to figure out how someone could have guessed your password.

I don't have a FB account but I'd be terribly upset too. :grouphug:

That's odd that that could have happened. Could it be one of your kids playing a prank? Perhaps they've seen you type in your password before?

A good friend told me it's probably a virus--I just freaked out--LOTS of people were like "wow!! The true {H} shows her face!" and stuff like that.

I really do think I am going to delete my FB account. I've had it.

ETA: And no, my password is very odd and my kids have no idea what it is. Anyway, it was posted while I was out to dinner with hubby and kids tonight, and we don't have iphones or mobile Facebook!

That's horrible!!! I would be extremely upset.

As another poster mentioned could one of your kids have done it as a joke? You know, because you assign so much work, or made them take a test the week before Christmas, something like that. Maybe you hadn't logged completely out of Facebook and they were able to bring it back up on the computer you had been using?

I'm trying to figure out how someone could have guessed your password.

Thanks. It was posted while we were all out to dinner, so they couldn't have posted it.

Ugh, that's the worst. I had someone hack my account once and fabricate a bunch of pms to try to make it look like I was having an affair. :thumbdown: Not cool. And I never did figure out who did it. It was the strangest thing ever.

Be sure you change your passwords for fb and email, since often people hack into facebook through your email.

Wow, that's horrible. I am seriously considering deleting my account. What an invasion of privacy.

I understand why you're so upset, but take a deep breath and post now saying that you didn't write your earlier post. That is a really mean thing for someone to do, but I've seen it (and actually, I'm guilty of posting as other people when they haven't logged off.....but nothing mean, more like "so and so is the coolest person ever" with my name as so and so). I think it's really weird that people said they hated their kids too. But you can fix this.

I understand why you're so upset' date=' but take a deep breath and post now saying that you didn't write your earlier post. That is a really mean thing for someone to do, but I've seen it (and actually, I'm guilty of posting as other people when they haven't logged off.....but nothing mean, more like "so and so is the coolest person ever" with my name as so and so). I think it's really weird that people said they hated their kids too. But you can fix this.[/quote']

Thanks. I posted saying I didn't write that, and I don't know how that happened. People posted back saying "that really didn't sound like you". I will leave that post up for a couple of days, and then I am going to delete my account. Not worth the hassle.

You can just delete the post itself. Go to the right hand top corner of the post itself and the down arrow will come up. Click on it, menu comes up and delete is at the bottom of the menu. No need to cancel your entire account unless you want to.

You can just delete the post itself. Go to the right hand top corner of the post itself and the down arrow will come up. Click on it, menu comes up and delete is at the bottom of the menu. No need to cancel your entire account unless you want to.

Yes, but it remains on people's feeds. Anyway, I've had issues with FB in the past. This is just the final straw.

From what I have read, just liking pages or playing the apps, you are giving these sites permission to have access to your fb page. That is how the majority of hacking happens. But, they usually post links that are hazardous. And from friends that have been hacked, most of the time they can't delete this stuff from their feeds.

Also, Every time you are using a public wifi network, password protected or not, you are shouting to the world your username and password to every website you use that is unencrypted. But, you mentioned that you don't do this. So, it is strange. Make sure you are using https:// in the front of the url. In facebook, under account preferences, account security, check the box for secure browsing. But, I hear you about deleting your acct. I am about ready to too!

I don't post to Facebook very much, and usually it's business related. Anyway, I logged on tonight and somehow, someone had posted on my page AS ME saying HATES HER CHILDREN! As in [my name] hates her children! And all these people posted on the thread like 'yea, me too!" and so on. I would never, ever post such a thing on Facebook, and am actually shaking I am so upset.

To be clear, someone was posting AS ME, meaning they somehow logged on as me to write it!! Why would someone do that? My password is only known to me!

I think it's time to say goodbye to FB. I am so upset.

How awful for you! I wonder how the troublemaker got your password. Is your virus software up to date?

That happened a friend of mine. She apparently posted a message saying her ex was stalking her online as she was looking so hot.:lol: There was a link for something too (my guess in a virus). She has no ex, married her 1st bf many years ago and would NEVER say anything like that. She was able to delete it and it gone from my feed too.

That happened a friend of mine. She apparently posted a message saying her ex was stalking her online as she was looking so hot.:lol: There was a link for something too (my guess in a virus). She has no ex, married her 1st bf many years ago and would NEVER say anything like that. She was able to delete it and it gone from my feed too.

That's good to know that it disappeared from everyone's feeds.

In any case, what I think I'm going to do is delete my account, and IF I ever go back to facebook, I am only going to friend my relatives and very, very close friends. I had a business a while ago related to a book I wrote, and had about 300 friend, 90% of whom I'd never met but who friended me because of my business. So I think, IF I do it again, I'll start from scratch.

How awful for you! I wonder how the troublemaker got your password. Is your virus software up to date?

Yes, it is-I really have no idea how it happened. We were out to dinner at the time the post was made, and by the time I got back, there were about 15 comments responding to my post. So weird.

That's good to know that it disappeared from everyone's feeds.

In any case, what I think I'm going to do is delete my account, and IF I ever go back to facebook, I am only going to friend my relatives and very, very close friends. I had a business a while ago related to a book I wrote, and had about 300 friend, 90% of whom I'd never met but who friended me because of my business. So I think, IF I do it again, I'll start from scratch.

This is what I did this year. Last January I "deleted" my account... I deleted all of the pictures and all of the posts and all of my friends (I had heard that they account wouldn't be completely deleted). This summer I decided to open it again and only friend family members (cousins, aunts, etc.) as a way to keep up with them. I ignore all other friend requests. Much better now. I realized that I didn't need to see the daily musings of people I knew in the 2nd grade. It was cool to see what everyone looks like now and look at their families, etc., but I'm over it now. :o)

Jodie

This is what I did this year. Last January I "deleted" my account... I deleted all of the pictures and all of the posts and all of my friends (I had heard that they account wouldn't be completely deleted). This summer I decided to open it again and only friend family members (cousins, aunts, etc.) as a way to keep up with them. I ignore all other friend requests. Much better now. I realized that I didn't need to see the daily musings of people I knew in the 2nd grade. It was cool to see what everyone looks like now and look at their families, etc., but I'm over it now. :o)

Jodie

:iagree::iagree:

I can see why this would be upsetting to you. I'm not really getting the virus/hacked angle though. FB accounts do get hacked via virus or clicking on a link or a bad app and then the malicious program can then make posts that appear to come from you. But it wouldn't be "Jane hates her kids". It would be "click on this super awesome video link" or "win an ipad by clicking on this link," etc. That way the malicious program gets more users and replicates itself.

It also wouldn't know you were a woman to use "her".

So this seems mighty strange to me. Is it possible you were logged in on a computer at home, or your password was saved on your computer at home, and your kids did this as a joke while you were out?

I would change your password and then contact facebook and ask for the IP address of whoever made that post.

Edited by RanchGirl

I can see why this would be upsetting to you. I'm not really getting the virus/hacked angle though. FB accounts do get hacked via virus or clicking on a link or a bad app and then the malicious program can then make posts that appear to come from you. But it wouldn't be "Jane hates her kids". It would be "click on this super awesome video link" or "win an ipad by clicking on this link," etc. That way the malicious program gets more users and replicates itself.

It also wouldn't know you were a woman to use "her".

So this seems mighty strange to me. Is it possible you were logged in on a computer at home, or your password was saved on your computer at home, and your kids did this as a joke while you were out?

I would change your password and then contact facebook and ask for the IP address of whoever made that post.

I thought the same thing--i mean, there was no link or anything, so wth? But one of my friends said he saw the exact same thing posted on another person's feed (one of his friends) so it wasn't just me. And no, couldn't have been my kids, they're not only Facebook-clueless, but they were out with me during the time the message was posted on Facebook. Really, I don't get it, but I don't care how it happened-I am not happy about it and am going to leave FB. I just don't care enough to stay.