Menu

K curric

faiths13

My ds3 will be 5 next Sept and I want to start him on K curric. I have absolutely no idea what to do for curric! I know it is a little early, but I figure it will be better to start the research now! I have been working on a little of everything with him. he doesnt like workbooks very much, unless its something he thinks is easy. he likes starfall alot and actually goes all over the site playing around with really advanced things like multiplication and fractions. im not sure if that really means anything or matters though. although today he told me 1+1+2, which was a nice surprise to hear because i havent worked on anything like that with him. anyway, i dont even really know where to start even looking as far as it goes. he doesnt know letters and sounds - he just doesnt seem interested. he can count fairly well up to almost 20. he knows all the shapes and colors pretty well. we are working on following directions. and he is doing well with pre handwriting. so i would love to hear what you do for your K. thanks!

I am really liking Essential Math with my DS, so far. We're almost done with the first book. There's a link in my siggy.

I jump around with reading in K. DD used Word Mastery and A Beka Letters & Sounds K for her first year of phonics. DS is currently reading from the v.e.r.y e.a.r.l.y pages of Phonics Pathways and finishing worksheets from the A Beka ABC-123 preschool workbook.

The Leapfrog Letter Factory dvd is great for learning letter sounds. Possibly the best educational preschool video ever :)

My favorite K stuff:

Right Start math A

HWT K (just the workbook and slate w/chalk)

Bear Necessities (phonics) or The Writing Road to Reading (in which case you wouldn't need HWT), depending on how writing-phobic your child is

science kits

most of the books from SL P4/5 and FIAR

We didn't actually do the SL core, just checked out the books from the library, and dropped FIAR after volume 1, but most of the titles were thoroughly enjoyed for reading together.

This might be a silly suggestion but why not do the Starfall K curriculum if he loves it so much? It's in the teacher's lounge, on the right. I'd look into it before I went looking anywhere else.

We're doing Getty-Dubay Italics for handwriting, Explode the Code for phonics, Miquon and MEP (Mathematics Enrichment Programme, it's free online) for math, Mudpies to Magnets for science experiments, plus lots of reading.

We get our book ideas from Ambleside Online year 0, Sonlight preschool and Kindergarten lists, Five in a Row, 100 Books to Read in Kindergarten, among others.

I wouldn't stress K too much. Reading, writing, and arithmetic every day and you're good. I don't know if you're homeschooling the elders, but if so, science and history can be tag-a-long.

Math: Singapore Earlybird, but I know many on the board didn't like it. Essentials has been the suggested alternative. Also, Miquon and MEP.

Reading: OPGTR plus phonics readers like BOB, Nora Gaydos, and library phonics readers. Read alouds are picture books and chapter books.

Writing: she knew her letters from HWT (great program) so now it's copywork using sentences from her readers. Twice a week she writes freely, the other three days she traces letters written in highlighter (idea from the board). Tracing helps her focus on the steps to forming letters (top to bottom, left to right).

We visit the library every week and my kids must pick one subject they want to know more about. I help dd use the catalog to find books and we browse the shelves together. Then, I release her to find the fun books. This has helped introduce her to the library and its resources, while at the same time, allowing her to pursue her own interests. So far, she's been very biology focused, researching cheetahs, flowers, butterflies, and lizards. Other than computer time, this is her favorite part of school.

This is what we did in a nutshell:

Math: Miquon and McRuffy Math K

Phonics: Struggling Reader Phonics games and ETC (we started out with MCP, but it didn't spend long enough on each section since it is so spiral)

Reading: MCP Readers (can't recommend these highly enough...they aren't cheap, but they are awesome)

Handwriting: Zaner Bloser (love it), I also highly recommend First Start Reading from Memoria Press (it teaches CVC words while doing handwriting)

History: We are taking a trip around the world to learn about different cultures (I can give you a book list if interested or you could just use Galloping the Globe)

Science: RSO Earth and Space (do not recommend) and Apologia Astronomy plus lots of nature study

Music: Making Music, Praying Twice

Art: Veritas Press K art readers (love these) plus lots of arts and crafts

Basically, K is different for every child. For most kids, I would be very relaxed and ease into school with them. My son is just very much of a go getter and needs the stimulation. If you want an all in one and don't mind workbooks, I would look at Memoria Press K. The Sonlight P3/4 and P4/5 books have been a hit here. I didn't buy all of them, but bought what I could second hand. They were all great books.

This might be a silly suggestion but why not do the Starfall K curriculum if he loves it so much? It's in the teacher's lounge, on the right. I'd look into it before I went looking anywhere else.

We're doing Getty-Dubay Italics for handwriting, Explode the Code for phonics, Miquon and MEP (Mathematics Enrichment Programme, it's free online) for math, Mudpies to Magnets for science experiments, plus lots of reading.

We get our book ideas from Ambleside Online year 0, Sonlight preschool and Kindergarten lists, Five in a Row, 100 Books to Read in Kindergarten, among others.

i didnt realize starfall had a k curric! off to check it out thanks!:001_smile:

For my twins we are doing:

PAL Reading: http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/catalog/primary-k-2-pal-reading

PAL Writing: Both of these go hand in hand but you can do one without the other. My kids (boy and girl) LOVE it! It has lot of games and I am surprised how much they remember. They love Starfall too so they earn starfall time.

Esstential Math

History: Adventures in America- $15 program by Elemental Science writer. Great look at american history. 2 to 3 x a week. I alternate with Science.

http://www.elementalhistory.com/info.html

Science: Elemental Science- fantastic program for $15 http://www.elementalscience.com/introsci.html

My recommendations:

1. Sign up for CC. Buy the resources you need for that. Look at the resources for Scribblers and see if any of those appeal to you. They also sell Saxon. I would do level 1 at this age.

2. Buy the Memoria Press K package or the pieces you don't already own. Follow the lesson plans as written if you want. Buy the Read Aloud Collection or get the books at the library.

3. Consider buying AAR1 and AAS1. I LOVE these. (I'm planning to use FSR as more of a handwriting program than a reading one.) OPGTR is another good one, but I am currently using the whiteboard to do it as it is more interactive and fun.

4. Go to Veritas Press and look through all their K resources. Buy whatever you can afford or think would fill in any "gaps". Or wait until you start (or finish) your MP lesson plans and add in more after that if you want.

A few other recommendations:

-What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know

-A Child's History of the World

-Little Pilgrims in God's World (CLP)

-Usborne Book of Nature (not sure of the exact title)

-Suzuki Violin

My dd is turning 5 in June and here is what I'm planning to use for her:

Math: Singapore Essential Math and Miquon

Phonics: OPGTR and ETC, supplemented with Happy Phonics games because dd LOVES games

Handwriting: Getty-Dubay

Everything else: FIAR because we're expecting a new baby in June and I want to keep things simple

If your DS is doing well with pre-writing and enjoys Starfall, I think ETC would be a good fit for him. As for his letter sounds, I couldn't agree more with pp that the Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD is probably the best educational preschool video out there. I'm super picky about videos in general and especially about what I justify by calling it educational, but I have to say that DVD is kind of magical. Two weeks of watching it and my dd knew very single letter sound. Then we stopped watching and she still knows them all. So easy!

Edited by infomom

He is 2 months younger than my DS, who is starting K in January. My DS is reading and doing basic math... and to get him to that point, we used MEP Reception for the math and Progressive Phonics for LA. For his K curriculum, we are using:

ETC 1, 2, and 3

Starfall and various early readers

Liberty Math K (I excpect to get through this halfway through the year and bump up to Liberty Math A)

Lollipop Logic

D'Nealian K

Science??? Still unsure. I will probably add it in when he turns 5.

Literature - books from Sonlight P4/5

I will be starting kidergarten soon with my Septmember born 5 year old.

Right now I am doing Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and Bob books. I also just started meet the sight word videos.

I will be most likely getting MCP K math and funnix math

HWOT K

I brought some science enclyopedias and an atlas book for kids and books on animals and the human body.

Edited by MistyMountain

We will be doing:

Circle Time, where she learns basics- weather, days, months, and sentence structure.

HWT

Singapore Math (I'm not sure what book we will be on next actually)

Phonic Pathways

Five in a Row

This program is really solid for her and I can actually see her getting something out of it...when I actually follow through with our schedule!

My dd is 4.5 and this is what we are doing slowly and will continue it.

Reading: I started with 100 easy lessons, she knew her letters and sounds from the letter factory and other things. She didn't like 100 easy lessons and dreaded reading, so I shelved it and we are starting IEW PAL program after the new year, I think she will love it!

Writing: we did get HWT get set for school and she learned capital letters and numbers but we are moving to IEW PAL writing after the new year and the letter stories with their sound and how to write the letters have really helped her craft better letters.

Math: mus primer, we are about half way through will cover to alpha when we get there.

We also do classical conversations and I love it, so does my dd. She is hanging a lot of memory pegs and is really connecting the dots on something's. I use cc as a direction to go, we supplemented with picture books this year for history.

Some things I am gong to add next year is reading along story of the world and something for science, maybe the library and videos for science.

Here are some of the things we are using or have used for K...

Handwritting: Zanor Bloser

Math: Right Start A and now starting Right Start B

Learning to Read/Reading: With learning to read we used Hooked on Phonics (this is the only program I knew about at that time). It worked great for my daughter! But as a warning it does teach some sight words, you may find another program better if you are not comfortable with that. I am going to use HOP with my Dd4 as well but I am going to teach her all the sounds of each letter first, and also a lot of the vowel teams before we start, via Phonics Road methods/flashcards. I think that will reduce the need to learn the sight words, just my theory:tongue_smilie:. We also used the Christian Liberty readers, there are four books, I liked those as well. We are now using the Abeka 1st grade readers, which I also like. My plan after that is to then just let my daughter pick books to read, but I first wanted to make sure she had a strong foundation. Like I said, there are many other programs out there this is just what we happened to use. If I had to do this part again I may have done things slightly different, but maybe not. It is hard to say because I now just cringe when I think of HOP because I was having morning sickness when I was teaching it to my now Dd5 (probably more than you wanted to know:tongue_smilie::lol:)! Hope that mish mash of stuff made some sense!

Science:We are using a mixture of REAL science Odyssey and Lapbooks from Hands of a Child (we got a great discount on HOAC lapbooks a while back of I think 45 percent off, so if interested I would recommend watching for a sale). Learning about nature is great at this age, I know my Dd5 is loving learning about all kinds of animals.

We are also now using Five in a Row. I really wish I would have found this curric. at the beginning of the year!

Also another great resource for help with learning letters that I found thanks to all these great ladies on the WTM boards is Leapfrog Letter Factory. It really works! Both my 4yo and 2yo learned all of their letter sounds from watching it. Hope that helped!:001_smile: And good luck with planning your K year!

ETA: Just wanted to add that another reading program that a lot of moms seem to like is All About Reading. I have never used it myself, but you could check it out!

Edited by ForeverFamily

Last year for K with my oldest we did:

Saxon 1

Abeka Phonics K

HWOT K

Heroes for Young Readers (missionary stories we used for history)

Science (Usborne books occasionally)

Next year for ds we plan to do the following. Math we are changing bc I hated Saxon, took way too long (close to an hour a day for K) and we had to relearn everything when we went to MM. I just have a different philosophy of math now than I did.

Math: Rights Start A or Miquon

Phonics: OPGTR

HWOT K

History and science: tagging along with sister, but I liked the missionary stories we used with dd so if I did it again and not combining, I would use those and just lots of picture books about history. For science I would do books and nature study.

Keep it simple and fun, but you don't have to sacrifice a strong academic base for that. ;)