Menu

Bye bye...

The winds are gusting to 60mph - not very high, but a tall, spindly larch in our garden is heaving out of the ground and preparing to fall on our electricity supply wires. The tree surgeon won't be over until tomorrow. I might disappear at any minute and be gone for a while....

Laura

The winds are gusting to 60mph. A tall, spindly larch in our garden is heaving out of the ground and preparing to fall on our electricity supply wires. The tree surgeon won't be over until tomorrow. I might disappear at any minute and be gone for a while....

Laura

Oh no! I hope you will all be safe.

Ah Scotland! Here's to hoping you make it through w/o the loss of your power or the tree.

It's an ugly thing and we can burn larch in our wood stove. It must be... I don't know... 20 metres tall and it only has branches at the very top. It was planted surrounded by sycamores which took all the light, so it just went straight up. Right now it's caught on another larch - that's all that's keeping it from going over. I just can't see that lasting until tomorrow.....

Laura

Stay safe in the storm. Get lots done while your internet is down so you can spend time here catching up when you get back online. :D

I'm off to bed with some earplugs in. I have a computing exam in the morning (not at home, thank goodness) so I'm switching off for the night. We only have full daylight from about 9-3:30 at this time of year, so tomorrow's productivity will mostly be by candlelight. I think I'll do a lot of dusting and hang some pictures.

Laura

I'm off to bed with some earplugs in. I have a computing exam in the morning (not at home, thank goodness) so I'm switching off for the night. We only have full daylight from about 9-3:30 at this time of year, so tomorrow's productivity will mostly be by candlelight. I think I'll do a lot of dusting and hang some pictures.

Laura

Daylight from 9-3:30.... ah, the good life. :D

I'm being absolutely sincere by the way.

Good luck on your test.

Still here and, amazingly, the tree is still standing. The electricity company came by to inspect last night - I think they are going to take the tree down. It seems to be in their hands now. The wind has dropped here now, but the tree definitely needs to come out before the wind picks up again. I've no idea how they are going to manage it: there's no space to get a cherry picker in, and if they cut it, it'll probably fall straight on the wires. Could be interesting.

Laura

They lost our file, found our file, sent another person around to inspect... finally, this morning, eight guys and six trucks including a cherry picker turned up and spent the morning taking the tree down. All safe for Christmas.

Laura

Glad it's safe for Christmas now. Your first sentence gave me a chuckle this morning. I could see it all in my head like a Three Stooges skit. Merry Christmas!

Glad it's safe for Christmas now. Your first sentence gave me a chuckle this morning. I could see it all in my head like a Three Stooges skit. Merry Christmas!

Post codes are important in the UK, as each one only covers around eight houses, so they are relied upon for GPS and utility location. As the post code was wrong, they couldn't match up our report with the equipment it referred to and the complaint got lost somewhere.

Laura