Menu

Going carless

So since we moved from the country to a town, my gas consumption has gone down significantly. I used to fill up at 75 dollars a week (15 passenger van), every week, and now I fill up once every three weeks, if that. Everything is just that close.

And though I walk a lot already, when I go food shopping I *shop*.

I have a great butcher down the street, the farmer's market is within the same walking distance (the yarn store, too, and really is there much more needed? :D ) and I was wondering if anyone went from once a week big shop (with larger families) to a walk to the store/market every day type schedule and is that even feasible with the size of my family?

So since we moved from the country to a town, my gas consumption has gone down significantly. I used to fill up at 75 dollars a week (15 passenger van), every week, and now I fill up once every three weeks, if that. Everything is just that close.

And though I walk a lot already, when I go food shopping I *shop*.

I have a great butcher down the street, the farmer's market is within the same walking distance (the yarn store, too, and really is there much more needed? :D ) and I was wondering if anyone went from once a week big shop (with larger families) to a walk to the store/market every day type schedule and is that even feasible with the size of my family?

My family is smaller (4) but we sometimes go for a month or more between trips to the grocery store in the car.

In the summer we can take our wagon and fill it up. I even have a way for my boys to pull it so it's like a team of horses. (What can I say, it's a big hill on the way home)

We also bike and I have saddle bags on the back on my bike. A large basket on the front. My now 7 year old had a big basket on the front. And in knapsacks and that is alot of carrying space. I think during the summer we could haul home 150 pounds of books and food in one trip.

I shop every other day now that we live in the city, but I don't have as many as you. I do know what you mean though, city living is cheaper for us. DH even sold his car and takes the free bus to work or walks. Ds enjoys the freedom of going to the park, library, and the store if he wants a special snack/drink anytime he wants. It's great.

My family is smaller (4) but we sometimes go for a month or more between trips to the grocery store in the car.

In the summer we can take our wagon and fill it up. I even have a way for my boys to pull it so it's like a team of horses. (What can I say, it's a big hill on the way home)

We also bike and I have saddle bags on the back on my bike. A large basket on the front. My now 7 year old had a big basket on the front. And in knapsacks and that is alot of carrying space. I think during the summer we could haul home 150 pounds of books and food in one trip.

Like a little red wagon?

Hmm, you're making me think I need to try this. How about your time? How much time do you allot to this, if it's a per day thing?

Cat, from me, the stores (banks, schools, everything) is within a city block. Eateries, theater, galleries, antique stores, bank, churches, hairdresser (excellent ones!). It's the only town I know of (in my county) that's like this, though, and it was a major reason we moved here.

So jealous!!

I used to walk to our store (1.5 miles) before my ankle surgery. I took my the stroller that we used to hitch up to the bike to load up my groceries.

I would think you would still need to go the store 1 a month for big stuff.

:grouphug: I hope you feel better soon!

I am thinking that we'll still have to do a huge costco shop every six weeks like we do. There's no way I can hoist a 20 pack of toilet paper home on my back. :D

A dear friend of mine moved to Scotland and had to learn to shop more frequently. It's far more common there to walk places. My friend was carless during the day, so she would walk to the store and fill a little rolling-cart-thingey and walk home. What she bought was based on how heavy it was. Also the refrigerators there tend to be WAY smaller. It's just a different way of life, and my friend has gotten used to it.

Personally I would hate shopping that frequently, because I really hate shopping.

I use to shop once or twice a month when my kids were younger. Now that my kids are older we shop about 5 times a week. Walking it takes us about 1 1/2 hours a day. It's become a habit that after picking up oldest two from school we stop by the little market by their school. We also have a farm stand we go to once or twice a week. Wish we had a butcher like you do. That would make my day!

I've been doing this for years, but it looks different depending on where I live and whether I have a car at all.

When I do have a car, I go shopping once every three months to buy bulk stuff that lasts a long time, like grains, baking supplies, some canned food, and frozen food. Like you have mentioned, it's hard to get all the food you need for a family home by yourself, so shopping with a car once in a while really helps me. All I'd need to shop on a daily/weekly basis is dairy products, fish, and lots of produce.

Now I don't have a car at all and it's a little harder, especially since the sidewalks in my current city aren't great and it's hard to wheel something around. It really helps to have something you can wheel around, whether it's a bike trailer, a little shopping cart, or a book cart, or a rolling backpack, or something else. We've used all sorts of things successfully. I'll also recruit an older child to come if I can't use something that rolls.

I will admit that sometimes it's annoying to have to go shopping often, especially if I don't have to go out for something else, or if I have to take several children along (that's not a problem anymore though). If it's a cold, sloppy day and you're out of milk, it can be a lot easier to get into the car and drive for it, if you have a car. It can take some commitment and planning to really stick to walking for most of your shopping, but I think it's worth it. Now whenever we move, one of the most important things in finding a new house/apartment is how much I'll need a car.

Cat, from me, the stores (banks, schools, everything) is within a city block. Eateries, theater, galleries, antique stores, bank, churches, hairdresser (excellent ones!). It's the only town I know of (in my county) that's like this, though, and it was a major reason we moved here.

It sounds like my dream town!!!

I really wish I could walk more places. Once you leave my neighborhood, the road you have to take to get anywhere is hilly, winding with no shoulder, no sidewalks and a 45 mile speed limit that most people drive faster. And a lot of bikers who are training for races. Definitely not safe with two little kids.

Of course, it would require a lot of time even with safe places to walk. Our nearest grocery is a gourmet one about 2 miles away. The closest normal grocery store is about 5 miles. Everything else - except a branch of the library that I'm not able to check books out of - is farther. Everything seems so close and convenient when driving but it's really not possible to walk. I'm really jealous. I know if I could walk more places I would probably weigh a lot less :glare:.

Many people do this in NYC. Get the rolley cart thing or a wagon and take a kid or two or 6 with you. I would give it a try for a few weeks.

Yup. I live in a rural town (bad, bad grocery, no butcher, sketchy farmers market) but I have one of these for walking to the library and markets in the summer. You could totally put a 20 pack of TP in that. And then you'd have room on your back for the box of wine.

(you'll have to forgive me chuckling at the bleak, soviet image of you toiling down the road with a mega pack of TP on your back. In my mind, there's a ratty overcoat and babushka involved. And wind. Lots of wind. :D)

Like a little red wagon?

Hmm, you're making me think I need to try this. How about your time? How much time do you allot to this, if it's a per day thing?

It's not little. (But the wagon is red)

Well in my town on errand day I can 'hit' the following:

library, grocery store, music store (my son use to take violin lessons), and bank.

I would budget ALOT of time. But not because of distance. I think to hit those places I would have to walk.. (checking google maps) 3KM. The reason I would budget alot of time is:

- We would walk through a park with a railroad track, sticks to pick up, across a little footbridge over a lake, past the waterfall

- We MIGHT get some hot chocolate at the library.

- We might bump into a juggler (We see him about every 2 weeks) and do some juggling.

- We might stop and watch the skaters at the skate park.

- We might (if I don't have my little red wagon) when walking through the rec. center stop at the skating rink. My kids will run around the seats looking for treasure. (Lost hockey pucks, spent tickets from a hockey game, ....)

- We might stop to watch the ducks on the lake

- We always stop at the grocery store at the very least to get a free cookie.

- The bank usually gives away a candy. (I also get to do banking)

- The music store lets you play on the grand piano

- We might also stop at a restaurant/ bakery on the way home and visit with the waitress and have a snack.

- We might stop at the snow pile. Either the one made from the snow being cleared from the skating rink, or the bigger ones that will show up soon from clearing parking lots. For this I usually take along a blanket and my ipad. The kids will play for an hour when I watch my latest TV show.

... All this to say it can take a couple hours. But it's not just doing errands. It's so much more. Mind you when we get home I am done with the kids and like to sit down with a drink.

I think it's the hill that does me. To get home we have to go up a hill with the load created from all that. :glare:

(Happily the kids don't like skating on the lake, or the free outdoor rink by the grocery store so I don't have to haul the skates. )

Edited by Julie Smith

This is my errand wagon:

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Outdoor-Living/Sporting-Goods/All-Season/Wheel-Goods/Wagons-Acc/WAGON-CHILD-RACK-PNA-TIRE-20X38/_/N-ntlfd/R-I6060326

Notice the big wheels ready to handle anything. I also have a rope attached to the handle so I can wrap the rope around my body and haul hands free. The kids can also pass a stick through the rope. Then each boy gets on one side of the wagon and they haul it like a team of oxen. (But they don't like that comparision)

I love this thread!!!!! You all have the best ideas.

Yup. I live in a rural town (bad, bad grocery, no butcher, sketchy farmers market) but I have one of these for walking to the library and markets in the summer. You could totally put a 20 pack of TP in that. And then you'd have room on your back for the box of wine.

(you'll have to forgive me chuckling at the bleak, soviet image of you toiling down the road with a mega pack of TP on your back. In my mind, there's a ratty overcoat and babushka involved. And wind. Lots of wind. :D)

People around here have those!!!! And by what Julie is saying, I'll totally need that wine. Thankfully, there's a liquor store on the walk, too. :lol:

I love that image, seriously, it's cracking me up, too. We'll probably be more like Make Way for Ducklings, though. :001_smile: I always feel like momma duck when we go shopping, and the kids quack for my benefit. :D

Julie, that's an awesome wagon. and I love your walks! I can totally see that happening to us, especially in the summer when the local businesses sponsor bands that play on the town green.

Edited by justamouse

Love the Madsen cycle-that is amazing! I'd never heard of it before.

I've lived in urban areas and walked or used public transport for everything. It can be challenging with little kids. But it can also work. I also had access to a vehicle in emergencies.

The issues come down to what to do in bad weather, if you have more than you can comfortably carry, how will you handle appointments/errands that aren't in walking distance, do you live in a bike/wagon friendly environment (not all towns are).

I'd get a plan and try it for a month or two before giving up a vehicle. If all goes well then go car-less.