Menu

Gift that a 6 year old girl can make for a 13 year old

We draw names in our family(7 kids, 2 parents) for a handmade gift. It doesnt have to be crafty per se, but it does need to be well thought out, personal and not just a run to the store and buy something. Couple examples, the 14 year old fixed up a hand-me-down bike for the 6 year old. New inner tubes, basket, bell etc. She hasnt had a functional bike for quite awhile, so this will be much appreciated! He might even teach her to ride it :) My husband is putting together a small photo album for the 2 year old with family pictures and pictures of Jesus and such. Some things are sewn or knitted etc.

The 6 year old girl has the 13 year old girl and I am gathering ideas to help her make a decision of something she can make. It could be something like a mug with a picture on it we have made, she doesnt have to physically make it. Does this make any sense??:)

Thank you for any ideas!

My boys made these for the female relatives this year. They used leaves, jewelry, and even Christmas ornaments to imprint them. All you need is the fimo (it can be less than $2 sometimes) and a little white or black paint. It's nice to string it too, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. I was amazed at how nice they looked in the end. Totally wearable and not in a "my friend/relative the child made this" kind of way.

Do you have a paint-it-yourself ceramics place where she can paint a piece? (A mug, jewelry box, photo frame, Christmas ornament, knick-knack, etc.)

Make a photo collage of some of the older girl's photos.

I also though bookmarks.

The jewelry is a lovely idea. I think it would be fun to make a day of it with the 6yo, with each of you making something, and perhaps you can also gift someone else with what you make (or surprise the 6yo with your project).

What a sweet, special way to do a family gift exchange!

My 7 year old has spent the past month making jewelry for her friends. Michaels and AC More both have a large selection of supplies and we checked a book with ideas and directions out of the library. She is also making friendship bracelets which she is really enjoying.

A fleece throw is easy to make. Just buy two pieces of coordinating fleece. We use one print and one coordinating solid color. Have some fun picking out a pattern that the 13 yo will enjoy. Then lay the two pieces on top of each other, wrong sides together, flat. Cut about 6 - 8 inches or to into the sides, about 1 inch wide, like fringe, every 10 inches or so. There is no set length or spacing. Do what looks good to you. Then have the 6 yo tie the two pieces (that sit on top of each other) into a knot. These hold the two pieces of fleece together. It makes a fun, snuggly, warm throw.

Edited by Photo Ninja

You can find very inexpensive clear frames at many stores. Then at craft or fabric stores you can find themed button or small figure sets that can be glued to the frames. We have done them for someone doing Tae Kwon Do, dance, one with a dog theme, a swimmer theme, soccer theme and so forth.

The key will be using a good bonding glue and some very cheap brushes to apply the figures to the outer surface of the frames without your younger one having to touch them.

Bulletin board: Get a piece of corkboard, enough material to cover it, and some coordinating ribbon. Lay the corkboard down on top of the wrong side of the material, and have her pull the material tight and staple it too the corkboard. Then run the ribbons in a diagonal or checkerboard fashion over the front, stapling each one to the back. She can use extra ribbon to make a loop for hanging on the wall.

We draw names in our family(7 kids, 2 parents) for a handmade gift. It doesnt have to be crafty per se, but it does need to be well thought out, personal and not just a run to the store and buy something. Couple examples, the 14 year old fixed up a hand-me-down bike for the 6 year old. New inner tubes, basket, bell etc. She hasnt had a functional bike for quite awhile, so this will be much appreciated! He might even teach her to ride it :) My husband is putting together a small photo album for the 2 year old with family pictures and pictures of Jesus and such. Some things are sewn or knitted etc.

The 6 year old girl has the 13 year old girl and I am gathering ideas to help her make a decision of something she can make. It could be something like a mug with a picture on it we have made, she doesnt have to physically make it. Does this make any sense??:)

Thank you for any ideas!

I haven't read the other responses - so I may duplicate. What about some bath salts?

Also, my son has enjoyed doing this string art project and it turned out really nice (we didn't include the small flower on the bottom right).

One year we decoupaged clipboards for the different family members with pictures of my boys with said family member. Those went over well...she could decoupage a box, frame, or really anything and it is super simple with modge podge and some pictures. Decoupage examples

Blessings,

Angela

Edited by A.J. at J.A.