Menu

A puberty question for girls

How did you know it was time to get your dd a training bra?

I have had several family members (all women), remark that it won't be long before I need to get my dd8 some. I take this to mean that they really think it is time to do it.:tongue_smilie:

What decided you that it was time?

I've been wondering the exact same thing lately...I haven't had others comment on it but I noticed it when dd went to gymnastics - those bodysuits don't hide much! I'm guessing that with the heavier clothing of the winter we'll be okay but I'm sure in the spring we'll be doing something (cami or training bra).

How did you know it was time to get your dd a training bra? I have had several family members (all women), remark that it won't be long before I need to get my dd8 some. I take this to mean that they really think it is time to do it.:tongue_smilie:What decided you that it was time?

Without knowing your daughter's body build and physical development, it's hard to say what is implied by your family's comments. Sometimes, those little bumps sticking out on some non-skinny girls are not "bre@sts," in the fullest sense of a girl maturing into a woman by developing glandular breast tissue. Instead, they may be fat deposits. I think that onset of puberty in girls is associated with a high BMI (body mass). If you think your daughter is entering puberty prematurely, do some research on "precocious puberty." Does she fit the profile? Evaluate her diet (any hormones in the food?) and her weight.

As for the training bra itself, is there a nice, stretchy cotton undershirt that could smooth her out underneath her shirts? Of course, if she really needs a bra, then she needs a bra. :confused: IMO, eight years old seems a bit young to bother with it. Why does an eight year old need a bra?

Without knowing your daughter's body build and physical development, it's hard to say what is implied by your family's comments. Sometimes, those little bumps sticking out on some non-skinny girls are not "bre@sts," in the fullest sense of a girl maturing into a woman by developing glandular breast tissue. Instead, they may be fat deposits. I think that onset of puberty in girls is associated with a high BMI (body mass). If you think your daughter is entering puberty prematurely, do some research on "precocious puberty." Does she fit the profile? Evaluate her diet (any hormones in the food?) and her weight.

As for the training bra itself, is there a nice, stretchy cotton undershirt that could smooth her out underneath her shirts? Of course, if she really needs a bra, then she needs a bra. :confused: IMO, eight years old seems a bit young to bother with it. Why does an eight year old need a bra?

My thoughts are exactly your's. I am almost 100% positive that it is fat deposits. I will look up the "precocious puberty". I hope it isn't that.

As to her body type... To me she looks like a gymnast, shorter, stockier build. Totally opposite of her sister, who looks like a ballerina, long and willowy.

That cami sounds like the way to go for either circumstance. Thank you everyone!

We started with the camis. Recently we got a collection of bras (for pre-teens) that were given to us. I made my dd11 try some on and we kept a bunch. She is just now starting to wear them some of the time. I pretty much leave it to her. I have noticed in the last month or two that she's becoming more self-conscious -- of what I'm not sure because she is still flat chested.

Looking up precocious puberty, everything I read said before age 8. I don't think she has that, she is well into her 8th year.

The comments from the family members just got me thinking about it all. I am not ready for her to grow up. LOL I don't have any problems talking to her about anything, I just wish she could stay little just a little while longer. :D

I think the cami/undershirt idea will be the perfect solution.

Camis and half-camis and these light-weight things they sell as sports bras that are really a half-cami with wider straps. DD started wearing these at 8 and is still wearing them at 10 with no sign of needing a bra for several years at least. It keeps her from "showing through" with shirts and keeps her warmer in winter.

My thoughts are exactly your's. I am almost 100% positive that it is fat deposits. I will look up the "precocious puberty". I hope it isn't that.

As to her body type... To me she looks like a gymnast, shorter, stockier build. Totally opposite of her sister, who looks like a ballerina, long and willowy.

That cami sounds like the way to go for either circumstance. Thank you everyone!

What's the real difference between fat deposits and breast buds? I think it's fat deposits for my dd 8yo as well but the fact is that in a more fitted shirt it looks like there is something there.

My 9 yo just started wearing a bra this summer. She was complaining that her chest was bothering her when doing karate. They do running & jumping jacks and the little bit of rubbing or bouncing was bothering her. Also, to me, it was becoming a bit indecent with thinner t-shirts. :001_huh: I took her to Justice & she tried on all the different styles to figure out which she preferred. She's happy as can be now.

I also wanted to add that she started using deodorant this summer as well. She really needed it.

Edited by ashfern

What's the real difference between fat deposits and breast buds? I think it's fat deposits for my dd 8yo as well but the fact is that in a more fitted shirt it looks like there is something there.

Fat deposits are just that, fatty tissue just the same as a child (or anyone) might have elsewhere (tummy?), whereas breast buds are the beginning of glandular breast tissue and are a firm disk under the nipple at first. My just turned 10 yr old is very slim and has no fat deposits there but has the beginnings of breast buds (big shock to this mama:001_huh:)

IMHO, whether or not it is fat deposits or breast buds doesn't really matter so much. If your DD has a slight "bump" noticeable underneath her tee-shirt then I would have her wear an extra layer of clothing underneath her shirt for modesty.

Camisoles or sports bras work great for most girls but didn't seem to provide the "coverage" that I wanted for my DD. She is tall and thin and when she started to develop (at age 10) her breast development seemed, I dunno, high chested maybe? I found some pretty basic, lightly lined, sports bras at Target that seemed to do the trick.

IMHO, whether or not it is fat deposits or breast buds doesn't really matter so much. If your DD has a slight "bump" noticeable underneath her tee-shirt then I would have her wear an extra layer of clothing underneath her shirt for modesty.

That's kind of what I was thinking earlier when I asked about the difference betweeen fat deposits and breast buds - I think the bigger question is how it appears.

to hide anything poking out of from under her clothing.

I remember how embarrassing it was for me as a kid that my mom refused to buy me a bra when I clearly needed one. Make sure you don't wait too long, especially if she is an early developer. I was 9 when I needed to start wearing a regular bra, not a training bra, and that was 40+ years ago.

Well, dd was no longer flat! :tongue_smilie: It was not at very first "breakthrough" as it's hardly worth it (although it wasn't too long either), but with a bit maturity that would benefit from wearing a bra.

Also, my dd is active and needed the extra support. She was 8 but approaching 9 if I remember correctly. I need to clarify that I bought her sports bras. I don't like the idea of girls wearing padded bras as I think it's too mature looking for them. These sports bras I bought at Target and Walmart. I just bought her first "real" bra from a dept store about 3 weeks ago. It is has a double layed cup, but is "not" padded. It's nice in that it gives her support, but is a bit dressier with the thinner strapsl...not thick sports bra straps.

HTH!

Edited by sheryl