Menu

latest Facebook idiocy

If one of your FB friends posts that she is going to a foreign country for a certain number of months, don't be gullible enough to believe it and respond. It's another stupid breast cancer awareness meme.

And yes, I have a stinky attitude about it. I don't like being made to feel foolish (see any Santa thread ;-) ).

If one of your FB friends posts that she is going to a foreign country for a certain number of months, don't be gullible enough to believe it and respond. It's another stupid breast cancer awareness meme.

And yes, I have a stinky attitude about it. I don't like being made to feel foolish (see any Santa thread ;-) ).

:grouphug: I never got how those misleading games support breast cancer or bring awareness. I never was on board with that either. To me it isn't funny to make others look bad, foolish, gullible, or left out of the loop.

While I think the majority of facebook is stupid I would hardly call any awareness ploy for breast cancer stupid. I really doubt that there was any intention of making you feel foolish or anyone else. I think the thousands of woman who are dieing tonight or have died appreciate it including my grandmother.

Really? Your grandmother would appreciate a random post that says "I like it on _____" (you fill in the blank with whatever you want). It reeks sexual suggestion....and you are supposed to privately message anyone who asks...but most just take it as a sexual joke and continue the joke. That raises Breast Cancer awareness how???? Yes, if anyone asks what you mean, you "secretly" message them. So you aren't even mentioning cancer on your FB page.

Bet all those who passed on from Breast Cancer really appreciated when women randomly posted a number "12 inches" or whatever number you choose, and then a sad face. Again, sexual suggestion..and promotes Breast Cancer awareness how?????????

There have been a few other "games", and yes they are called games, on FB for promoting Breast Cancer. Not one single one actually mentions Breast Cancer.

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. My own grandmother is a survivor of Breast Cancer, thus far. It affects everyone. I'm sure there are a million more valid ways we can honor our grandmothers, and others, in the Breast Cancer fight, then "secret" SILLY posts on FB.

I completely agree with Musicianmom. I bet she was fully aware of Breast Cancer, the havoc and death it brings, before she read that FB post.

:grouphug: I never got how those misleading games support breast cancer or bring awareness. I never was on board with that either. To me it isn't funny to make others look bad, foolish, gullible, or left out of the loop.

You never got it because it doesn't support anything. It's silly nonsense. Right up there with chain letters.

I agree, I don't get how these silly posts increase awareness for anything. Thanks for letting us know, I tend to be too literal and I would never make the connection until someone explained it to me.:tongue_smilie:

I agree! I don't like those posts. I have reposted the rant about breastfeeding and regular breast exams being the best way to reduce breast cancer though!

Really? Your grandmother would appreciate a random post that says "I like it on _____" (you fill in the blank with whatever you want). It reeks sexual suggestion....and you are supposed to privately message anyone who asks...but most just take it as a sexual joke and continue the joke. That raises Breast Cancer awareness how???? Yes, if anyone asks what you mean, you "secretly" message them. So you aren't even mentioning cancer on your FB page.

Bet all those who passed on from Breast Cancer really appreciated when women randomly posted a number "12 inches" or whatever number you choose, and then a sad face. Again, sexual suggestion..and promotes Breast Cancer awareness how?????????

There have been a few other "games", and yes they are called games, on FB for promoting Breast Cancer. Not one single one actually mentions Breast Cancer.

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. My own grandmother is a survivor of Breast Cancer, thus far. It affects everyone. I'm sure there are a million more valid ways we can honor our grandmothers, and others, in the Breast Cancer fight, then "secret" SILLY posts on FB.

I completely agree with Musicianmom. I bet she was fully aware of Breast Cancer, the havoc and death it brings, before she read that FB post.

I never said I agree with it. Whoever does these things their heart is in the right place is all I am pointing out. I don't think anything sexual belongs in a public forum. I also think maybe some are trying to bring some laughter to a hard situation. Again, their hearts are in the right place and I would hardly call that stupid.

:iagree: I love facebook, I spend a lot of time on it, but those games are pointless and just make people feel like idiots, it is not right imo to make your friends feel that way.

While I think the majority of facebook is stupid I would hardly call any awareness ploy for breast cancer stupid. I really doubt that there was any intention of making you feel foolish or anyone else. I think the thousands of woman who are dieing tonight or have died appreciate it including my grandmother.

My mother is dying of breast cancer and I think those games are offensive and stupid. How do you promote awareness if you don't know what the message means?

My mother has less than a week. I don't want to save the tatas. I want her to be out of the horrible pain she's in. I don't want to play stupid games on facebook. My grandmother is a survivor. I will fight breast cancer myself someday.

Not everyone thinks anything done in the name of awareness is good and they have the right to feel that way and express it.

ETA: What Heather said. Exactly.

My mother is dying of breast cancer and I think those games are offensive and stupid. How do you promote awareness if you don't know what the message means?

My mother has less than a week. I don't want to save the tatas. I want her to be out of the horrible pain she's in. I don't want to play stupid games on facebook. My grandmother is a survivor. I will fight breast cancer myself someday.

Not everyone thinks anything done in the name of awareness is good and they have the right to feel that way and express it.

ETA: What Heather said. Exactly.

Yes, totally agree. My mother and good friend have both had mastectomy's. You can be sure the ridiculous breast cancer campaigns are offensive and degrading. Save the Tatas? Yeah, just what they want to see on a bunch of 15 year old boys, after their surgery. It makes me really mad actually.

I agree! I don't like those posts. I have reposted the rant about breastfeeding and regular breast exams being the best way to reduce breast cancer though!

There has been some interesting information coming out recently on the efficacy of things like mammograms and such. It seems to suggest that they actually are not as useful as people thought, and IIRC may even decrease survival rates to some degree. I gather it has made some breast cancer groups rather upset.