Menu

Can a bank pay a bill?

Got a letter from my Army son asking me to use his bank account to pay his phone bill (or just pay the bill for him:glare:). He forgot to set up automatic payments before he left. If I bring the letter and my sons check book can the bank issue a check from his account?

Before anyone suggests that we pay the bill, I wont. 1) it is $100, 2) we told him to wait to get a phone until after boot camp 3) we told him for months to set up automatic bill payments and got grief for nagging 4) Upon finding out, 2 days before he left, that he did not set up auto pay I told him to pay the bill in advance and was told he knew what he was doing.

Got a letter from my Army son asking me to use his bank account to pay his phone bill (or just pay the bill for him:glare:). He forgot to set up automatic payments before he left. If I bring the letter and my sons check book can the bank issue a check from his account?

Before anyone suggests that we pay the bill, I wont. 1) it is $100, 2) we told him to wait to get a phone until after boot camp 3) we told him for months to set up automatic bill payments and got grief for nagging 4) Upon finding out, 2 days before he left, that he did not set up auto pay I told him to pay the bill in advance and was told he knew what he was doing.

Can you log in to his account and use Bill Pay? That's how I pay my bills (the bank sends out the checks once I submit the request). I don't know about going into the actual bank for a physical check.

There are a few different ways to handle this. You can do on-line bill pay which would be the easiest. He can add you to his account fairly easily. He can send you a check which you cash and then turn around and pay his hone bill with. Or if you trust his you can just pay it and then have him send you the money. Finally, this is not quite legal but he can authorize you to write a check from his account to pay his phone bill and you just sign his name. Once again this is only if you really trust him because the only way it would ever be a problem is if you denied writing the check which I can't imagine why he would do because that would mean he didn't pay his phone bill. He can also set up auto bill pay on-line if he has access to a computer at some point in the future.

(or just pay the bill for him:glare:).

I'm sure that suggestion went over well...

But if you have his checkbook, why not just sign his name to a check and send it in? I have had people sign my name to checks before, with my permission, and they go through just fine. No one checks signatures any more. It is only fraud if you don't have his permission, which you do.

Terri

I'm sure that suggestion went over well...

But if you have his checkbook, why not just sign his name to a check and send it in? I have had people sign my name to checks before, with my permission, and they go through just fine. No one checks signatures any more. It is only fraud if you don't have his permission, which you do.

Terri

I agree. The bank will not issue a check on your say-so.

*You* cannot pay the bill or find out how much he owes because you aren't on the account. I deal with this with new wives *all the time*.

He has 3 options:

1. Set up auto-pay

2. Put you on the account

3. Give you power of attorney so that you can write checks and deal with his finances when he's gone

Thanks all.

I found his checks. When he first got the phone I helped him pay over the phone using a check (just remembered). I will do this. I don't remember needing any personal info.

If not I will write a check, one of his, and keep his letter. This way I am covered if he comes back and complains I used his account....he would do this.

I'd completely ignore that entire conversation and let him deal with it.

Evn though I replied above about bill pay, I agree with this. You advised him to handle it before he left and he didn't. You say you don't want to pay out of your account because of this, but isn't doing anything going to accomplish the same thing? (Enabling him to rely on you to bail him out when he's not done what he's supposed to do?). Let it go. He's an adult.

Evn though I replied above about bill pay, I agree with this. You advised him to handle it before he left and he didn't. You say you don't want to pay out of your account because of this, but isn't doing anything going to accomplish the same thing? (Enabling him to rely on you to bail him out when he's not done what he's supposed to do?). Let it go. He's an adult.

:iagree: He already turned down your help when you offered him advice and reminders before he left. If he is mature enough for the military, he should be mature enough to handle his finances as well.

Thanks all.

I found his checks. When he first got the phone I helped him pay over the phone using a check (just remembered). I will do this. I don't remember needing any personal info.

If not I will write a check, one of his, and keep his letter. This way I am covered if he comes back and complains I used his account....he would do this.

If he's going to complain about it, I wouldn't help him with it. You've done *more* than your part to help with it already.

He has 15 weeks of basic training left, right? He won't have regular phone or internet access until it's done. Four months of failure to pay his bill will result in several things, including likely UCMJ action (for failure to pay debts). *I* would not let it come to that when I had his checkbook and the means with which to pay using his own money.

I don't have teens/adult children yet, but I'm kind of thinking that this is one of those things where you need to let him "fail," because the stakes are pretty low, in hopes that he will learn to take care of himself.

The stakes aren't just that his phone get turned off. The military looks on unpaid debt pretty seriously. I'm sure the OP doesn't want him getting booted out and ending up back home again. However, OP, you are going to have to stop enabling him at some point. I would say once he is out of boot camp you need to stop bailing him out. (This may already be your plan). Let the military teach him those lessons he won't learn from you. :grouphug: I'm sorry your stuck on this merry-go-round.

He has 15 weeks of basic training left, right? He won't have regular phone or internet access until it's done. Four months of failure to pay his bill will result in several things, including likely UCMJ action (for failure to pay debts). *I* would not let it come to that when I had his checkbook and the means with which to pay using his own money.

If his mom doesn't pay it and tells him so, can't he mail in a payment before it gets that far. He sends his mom letters after all.

If his mom doesn't pay it and tells him so, can't he mail in a payment before it gets that far. He sends his mom letters after all.

She has his checkbook. So, it wouldn't be that simple.

Eta: They usually are not allowed anything but letters (at least in the beginning), so she cannot mail him the checkbook.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

She has his checkbook. So, it wouldn't be that simple.

Eta: They usually are not allowed anything but letters (at least in the beginning), so she cannot mail him the checkbook.

I know it is more of a pain, but is there a way/place during boot camp that he could get a money order.

I think, even if it is more inconvenient, if at all possible he needs to take care of this himself.

I know it is more of a pain, but is there a way/place during boot camp that he could get a money order.

Does he have a debit card? If he has time off (iffy), then he could take a bus around post and do what he needed to do. The question is whether he will have the time off. I guess he could do it during Christmas, but the bill is likely to already be late by then, and still could result in UCMJ.

I suppose if it would get him kicked out, I'd go into the account and set that one for auto payment.

Tho I would think lots of ppl, including military, are having debt problems. Are those who sign up given financial advice? Are those already in given any support to make arrangements?

I would find it... Interesting...if an unpaid phone bill completely disrupts a soldier's situation.

I suppose if it would get him kicked out, I'd go into the account and set that one for auto payment.

Tho I would think lots of ppl, including military, are having debt problems. Are those who sign up given financial advice? Are those already in given any support to make arrangements?

I would find it... Interesting...if an unpaid phone bill completely disrupts a soldier's situation.

It really, really depends upon the situation. But, having problems *this early on* might be a reason they would release you. Releasing you during basic training is much easier than kicking you out later on.

Soldiers with a track record in the military? It is a different story. The military offers all kinds of classes from how to balance a checkbook through Army Community Services to Dave Ramsey classes through the chaplain corps.

Because the OP is too polite to do so, I will just point out that she asked for input on how to pay the bill, not whether she should do so.

Terri

Except that she did offer up the background in a PS as well, so it was open for comment, too, don't you think? I hope it gets straightened out.

It really, really depends upon the situation. But, having problems *this early on* might be a reason they would release you. Releasing you during basic training is much easier than kicking you out later on.

Soldiers with a track record in the military? It is a different story. The military offers all kinds of classes from how to balance a checkbook through Army Community Services to Dave Ramsey classes through the chaplain corps.

I do understand this.

I just get so...grrrr:banghead:

This is normal for him. We tell him what needs to be done and he ignores us, then he wants us to jump through hoops to help him.

Well I was able to call sprint and they had his info already so all I had to do was press a few buttons to confirm the payment from the account on file.

As one poster said, I need to stop enabling him. Today it is a bill needing payment or potential boot from boot camp. There will always be some consequence to his actions, I can not take care of them all.

Unless you have a PoA (did he have to do that before he left?), probably not. can he set up any of the bill-pay online? the bank should be able to send him the paperwork to set it up.

there should also be someone on the base who can advise him.

I do understand this.

I just get so...grrrr:banghead:

This is normal for him. We tell him what needs to be done and he ignores us, then he wants us to jump through hoops to help him.

Well I was able to call sprint and they had his info already so all I had to do was press a few buttons to confirm the payment from the account on file.

As one poster said, I need to stop enabling him. Today it is a bill needing payment or potential boot from boot camp. There will always be some consequence to his actions, I can not take care of them all.

Let him know that as soon as he is allowed phone calls, then he needs to set up auto-payment or he needs to pay ahead a few months.:grouphug:

Let him know that as soon as he is allowed phone calls, then he needs to set up auto-payment or he needs to pay ahead a few months.:grouphug:

:iagree: Definitely.

I remember coming back from an underway to find that my electricity was turned off for non-payment. Thank goodness that was long before I needed a clearance or it could have been the end of my military career.

But I can tell you that I not only paid the bill in person, paid the late fees, paid to reconnect, BUT I also had it put onto auto pay (back in the dark ages when this was not done online, but with a voided check).

I think that it is ok to be loving and supportive. And that sometimes means really helping someone out, even when they have been foolish. But it's also time to man up (on his part).

Two things come to mind. One is that dh has been counseling me lately that my sons (especially the teen) are going to ignore some things, just because they come from me. I pretty much have to bite my tongue about packing for scouting or working out at the gym. I let him have that conversation, wait for them to bring it up, or I let them flounder unless safety is involved.

The other thing is a story I was told when I was a midshipman. An officer told me that ensigns had a bag of mistakes. They could make an unlimited number of mistakes, as long as they didn't repeat any. Lieutenants Junior Grade had a smaller bag. When you made Lieutenant, they took away the bag.

Making mistakes is still part of growing up. And I've seen enough military newbies (and been one myself) to know that the uniform doesn't magically make you wise or unselfish. But you can make it clear to him that he needs to stop repeating mistakes. He also needs to choose to accept wise counsel from you or to own the consequences.

(And sometime, I'll have to tell the story of when I missed a military transport out of Germany, had to buy a commercial ticket and had such a low credit limit that the small nutcracker I'd bought didn't leave enough credit to buy a ticket . . .)

ETA: One other thing he may not yet realize is that because the military is so strict about servicemembers meeting their financial obligations, and because you can garnish the wages of a servicemember; stores will not hesitate to call a military supervisor to report unpaid debts.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

I would definitely inform him that this was a one time thing and he needs to plan for next month's bill paying from basic.

I would also explain why I paid it this month and what severe consequences he will incur through the Army if he doesn't deal with his responsibilities.

Yeah. But. Is he going to believe it?

Here's a thought that I normally wouldn't entertain:

Can you call or email his superior and ask them to deal with it? I wouldn't like doing that and have no idea how feasable it is but it's obvious the young man won't listen to you. (((hugs)))