Menu

2011 PSAT scores are in !!!

The PSAT scores are available online provided you have your student's access code. I called the College Board, and they provided me with the access code over the phone.

Good luck to everyone. This was a scrimmage for ds.

Ok, exactly who did you call and how??? I just called and they said it was impossible for them to look it up. I told myself I wouldn't stress. i have 2 more weeks until I will receive it in the mail if it is like last year.

Edited by choirfarm

Ok, exactly who did you call and how??? I just called and they said it was impossible for them to look it up. I told myself I wouldn't stress. i have 2 more weeks until I will receive it in the mail if it is like last year.

I called the toll-free number listed on the College Board site. (I just went to look the number back up and I don't know specifically which toll free number I dialed :confused:)

The number I called sent me to a main menu of options. I picked the option "receive your scores" or some similar verbage. I was then directed to a live person. I told the person that my son's PSAT scores were available - he just needed the access code. He told me that my son would need to get the code from his school. When I told him that we homeschool, he gave me the access code after verifying ds's personal information. The call lasted less than 3 minutes.

Maybe call back and see if you get another operator. Perhaps the operator you spoke with did not realize that homeschoolers don't get the information from the high school where they sat for the test.

Ok, I'm going to have to start bugging my guidance office. I tried getting them online, but it said I have to wait until Jan 15th without the access code printed on the paper copy. :glare:

My school sometimes doesn't give out the reports until after Christmas. Last year it was a couple of days before Christmas. They have them earlier, but they wait until it's convenient for them to give them out to the whole group at once.

I knew this was going to be frustrating. It'll be even more frustrating next year when the score counts.

I wonder why College Board doesn't just allow one to look at them online? I know our school code to be able to do that. I just can't get his personal access code until the school allows.

I called the toll-free number listed on the College Board site. (I just went to look the number back up and I don't know specifically which toll free number I dialed :confused:)

The number I called sent me to a main menu of options. I picked the option "receive your scores" or some similar verbage. I was then directed to a live person. I told the person that my son's PSAT scores were available - he just needed the access code. He told me that my son would need to get the code from his school. When I told him that we homeschool, he gave me the access code after verifying ds's personal information. The call lasted less than 3 minutes.

I did exactly as you said and when she told me that it was impossible for them to look up the access code, I told her other people had online and she told me that they must have gotten it in the mail.

I did exactly as you said and when she told me that it was impossible for them to look up the access code, I told her other people had online and she told me that they must have gotten it in the mail.

Sorry you are having such trouble. This is the second year I have obtained the access code via the phone - I have not received anything in the mail yet this year.

I would try again tomorrow and hope that you get another operator. By simply providing my son's name, the operator was able to access his records. I then had to verify our address, e-mail address and phone number, and then I was given the access code.

Next year, when the results count, I will probably have the bad luck you are having. The entire process seems a little silly. The results are obviously in. Why should anyone have to wait for the snail mail in order to access the online scores? I don't get it.:glare:

I just called and they would not give me her access code. I was told they did not have access to it. And the lady was very rude at that.

I was told that they are in the process of mailing the scores that that we may not even get them until the beginning of Jan.

:(

Lynda

Just called again and NO go. They will not give you the code over the phone. They say that no one can get it at all over the phone and that one needs to wait until the tests are mailed out or talk with the students guidance counselor.

Those that are able to get the access code by phone can you post the number that you are calling because maybe that makes a difference.

Lynda

No success last year' date=' or this year. According to the them, you can get the access code from your local high school - it's given to them when they get the test scores. At least that's more info than I got last year. HTH someone.[/quote']

That operator is not correct. The high school will not have the access codes for homeschoolers since the public school (provided the homeschool code was used) will not receive the homeschoolers' test results. The test results for homeschoolers are mailed directly to the homeschooler's home address.

Those that are able to get the access code by phone can you post the number that you are calling because maybe that makes a difference.

Lynda

I called the main number listed on the website, but I don't remember which one it was. I did not call the number that was listed for PSAT questions.

The operator that I spoke with yesterday said at first that I would have to get the access code from the guidance counselor. When I explained to him that my son is homeschooled and I am the guidance counselor, he provided me with the access code.

I don't know why the College Board has to make this process so difficult!

The operator that I spoke with yesterday said at first that I would have to get the access code from the guidance counselor. When I explained to him that my son is homeschooled and I am the guidance counselor, he provided me with the access code.

This is exactly what I did. I explained that we homeschooled. She then went to tell me that we would just have to wait until we get it in the mail then. That I should place my dd in a school in order to get her results faster. Then I was not so nice at that point........ so I am sure that affected my outcome but it was not going anywhere at that point.

I don't know why the College Board has to make this process so difficult!

I agree!!! I don't know why in such a digital age that we have to wait for snail mail to access these things. When I signed up my dd on the college board website. It states that her scores were in and knew exactly who she was, but that she needed the access code to obtain them now or wait until Jan 15. I don't get it if you know and verified who we are just give them to us.

Lynda

That operator is not correct. The high school will not have the access codes for homeschoolers since the public school (provided the homeschool code was used) will not receive the homeschoolers' test results. The test results for homeschoolers are mailed directly to the homeschooler's home address.

This is what I thought from last year too, but the woman I spoke with today - Christine? - knowing that we're homeschoolers, and having checked twice with her supervisor :glare: - said that we need to call our local school for the access code. I'll let you know next week if it works - but now I'm even more doubtful. :confused:

This is what I thought from last year too' date=' but the woman I spoke with today - Christine? - knowing that we're homeschoolers, and having checked twice with her supervisor :glare: - said that we need to call our local school for the access code. I'll let you know next week if it works - but now I'm even more doubtful. :confused:[/quote']

They won't have it. I went through the same thing. The school told me that they have nothing on my student. I'll just have to wait until the 14th like last year.

OK. I went to the college board site and registered ds for the quickstart account and clicked on the link to access his scores without the access code. It didn't recognize the homeschool code (from their own site!! :confused:), so I clicked on 'help' and called the number that was given (866-433-7728).

Long story short, the cs lady "merged" his PSAT account with a new collegboard account (whatever that means!) and said she didn't have his access code "on her floor". She was really nice, so I didn't push it. Once we hung up, I went into his regular college board account and was surprised to discover we can view this year's scores online.

NB: dd's scores aren't available on her regular college board account, so I think the "merging" thing is what did it.

Hope this helps someone!

Ds's came in the mail today. Can anyone give me an idea of what a decent score would be for a 10th grader that walked in a took the test cold w/ zero prep? All of his scores were above avg (his math significantly), but nowhere near NM level scores (even commended). I am wondering w/prep and another yr if it is worth his taking as a jr or not.

The only other of my kids that took the PSAT is our Aspie and ds's scores are higher than his older brother's were when he took it as a jr, but his scores were only avg.....so we have no real frame of reference.

Ds's came in the mail today. Can anyone give me an idea of what a decent score would be for a 10th grader that walked in a took the test cold w/ zero prep? All of his scores were above avg (his math significantly), but nowhere near NM level scores (even commended). I am wondering w/prep and another yr if it is worth his taking as a jr or not.

I expect my sophomore to be a little bit above average. Anything else is a bonus.

Whether it is worth it next year or not, to me, would depend on how he is doing on practice tests next fall. I have mine prep over the summer doing a little bit a few days per week (no set schedule, but they do one section when they work on it). If their practice tests are in the commended or above scores, then I think it is worth it to try. If not, it depends on whether or not you want more standardized test practice.

Between sophomore and junior years there is a bit that can be learned just from progressing in English and math, so scores should go up.

I'll be in this boat next year with my current sophomore as well. He's very intelligent, but his gifts are generally in other subjects more than math/English. I'm hoping for 50 something in English and Writing and 60 something in math both based upon his state testing levels. It'll be interesting to see what he actually got. He did no prep other than the practice tests in the book they gave him at sign up and the one his brother had from the year before (those scores matched my expectations).

Overall, my guys do better on the ACT and I don't think this son will be any different. I'm expecting him to take the ACT either this spring or next fall (only offered twice a year here) to get a baseline on that.

Middle son - my guy who could have been NMSF in 30 states, but missed it in ours due to his watch/clock issue had a 193 sophomore year with no prep other than the testing booklet test. I don't remember the exact breakdown of subscores.

Dd#1 made the cut off.

Are the cut-offs for the 2011 test available somewhere? I was under the impression that they wouldn't be available until next fall. According to the National Merit website:

"In September 2012, more than two-thirds (about 34,000) of the high scorers will be designated Commended Students. They will be named

on the basis of a nationally applied Selection Index qualifying score that may vary from year to year."

Are the cut-offs for the 2011 test available somewhere? I was under the impression that they wouldn't be available until next fall. According to the National Merit website:

"In September 2012, more than two-thirds (about 34,000) of the high scorers will be designated Commended Students. They will be named

on the basis of a nationally applied Selection Index qualifying score that may vary from year to year."

The only way I am aware that you know if the student even gets to enter the process is if there is no asterisk by the score. I have not seen a cutoff score list. I have no idea how it truly works from here except for the flow chart I have seen on the NMS website.

Edited by HiddenJewel

Are the cut-offs for the 2011 test available somewhere? I was under the impression that they wouldn't be available until next fall.

Cut off scores won't be known until next fall, so anyone scoring around the usual cut offs needs to wait to find out. Anyone scoring well above the usual cut offs (a good 5 points or so above) can generally assume they made it. The highest score change I've heard of was either 4 or 5 points.

No asterisk only means it was a junior taking the test who is eligible for NM. It means nothing regarding whether or not they made it as a NMSF or not.

Sorry, I should have scrolled down further before asking the question and I would have found the answer. But I do have a follow-up question. Am I understanding correctly that the score for the top 55,000 is a national cutoff, usually around 200-205, and that the finalist cutoffs then vary by state?

On that note, I don't really understanding how there can be such a range of finalist scores depending solely on geography; I've seen the list from 2010, and dd would be a finalist in half the states but not the other. Does that mean she's smarter standing in Missouri than she is in Virginia? Haha... I guess that's another controversy for another post. :)

On that note, I don't really understanding how there can be such a range of finalist scores depending solely on geography; I've seen the list from 2010, and dd would be a finalist in half the states but not the other. Does that mean she's smarter standing in Missouri than she is in Virginia? Haha... I guess that's another controversy for another post. :)

They spread the scholarships around by state. My guy would have made the cut in more than half the states including two he might go to college in, but not ours...

The biggest bummer is that there are automatic scholarships based on NMF standing. Without it, one needs to compete for top scholarships.

In my next life, when/if we move, we'll keep NM cutoff numbers in mind. Had we stayed in my guy's native state he'd have made it.

That said, he's gotten some nice merit offers already and we remain hopeful that he'll get equivalent to NMF offers based upon his 99% ACT. Only time will tell.

Meanwhile, I wish, wish, WISH he hadn't had his technical error during his test. Answering just one question correctly of the three he didn't get to would have changed the outcome. He knew how to do them all. :tongue_smilie: (sigh)

Cut off scores won't be known until next fall, so anyone scoring around the usual cut offs needs to wait to find out. Anyone scoring well above the usual cut offs (a good 5 points or so above) can generally assume they made it. The highest score change I've heard of was either 4 or 5 points.

No asterisk only means it was a junior taking the test who is eligible for NM. It means nothing regarding whether or not they made it as a NMSF or not.

That's what I thought, but just wanted to be sure. EK won't likely make the cut off this year, but she did do well (92nd percentile). I'm positively ECSTATIC that she raised her score by 26 points over last year!

That's what I thought, but just wanted to be sure. EK won't likely make the cut off this year, but she did do well (92nd percentile). I'm positively ECSTATIC that she raised her score by 26 points over last year!

That's a nice increase! Congratulations! 92nd percentile is great!

For the record, the 4 - 5 point change I was referring to was for the score changes for NM cutoff - not personal. I'm not sure if that was clear or not.

That's a nice increase! Congratulations! 92nd percentile is great!

For the record, the 4 - 5 point change I was referring to was for the score changes for NM cutoff - not personal. I'm not sure if that was clear or not.

Oh, yeah, I knew that. Our state's cutoff last year was 215, I think, and while EK didn't score that high, we're pleased with the score she got this year (she's a junior)--her "personal best". She improved in each area over last year's test: her score went up 1 point in reading, 8 points in math, and a whopping 17 points in writing. :thumbup: