Menu

Pulling my hair out looking for gifts for my mom. Help?

She is so hard to buy for! She buys pretty much whatever she wants when she wants it and has no hobbies. Why doesn't everyone realize how helpful hobbies are for shopping? ;)

OK, she does crossword puzzles but besides picking out a few new books, I'm clueless. Is there a must have resource for crosswords besides a good dictionary (check) and lots of pencils and pens (check and check)?

I think I'll get the kids' portraits done but after that, I'm clueless. It's like this for me 3x a year: her birthday, Mother's Day and Christmas.

ETA: OK, I've thought of two themes that might work for her. Things for her car or desk at work to make it lovely/comfortable. Also, she loves spending time on her patio. Any ideas to spruce up a patio? She has lots of plant stands and plants out there but is there anything else that could help make it lovely?

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

My parents are the same way. If they need or want it - they buy it. In my Dad's case, my second Mom buys 3 - 4 of anything he might want or need. :)

We've run the gamut of photo gifts, and well, almost every creative idea I could find online.

Not sure if any of these ideas will help, but this year we are doing an engraved travel mug from Things Remembered, in addition to portraits. We haven't decided on the engraving yet, but it will be along the lines of "Mom... Grandma... Our Angel" It will have a Starbucks gift card inside. My Mom is a traveling artist, so I think a travel mug will go with her all year. We are also sending a wreath from Snowbird Wreaths, because they are beautifully made, and it won't clutter the house after the holidays.

I'm making an envelope book (organizer) for MIL. That one is an idea from Martha Stewart's site - some great handmade gift ideas there.

Does she like to pretty up her home? How about some Uppercase Living?

Yes, she likes to pretty up her home. To excess. There is no more wall space to be had. I'm thinking of getting a CM quote done for my homeschool room when we move though, so thanks! :)

My parents are the same way. If they need or want it - they buy it. In my Dad's case, my second Mom buys 3 - 4 of anything he might want or need. :)

We've run the gamut of photo gifts, and well, almost every creative idea I could find online.

Not sure if any of these ideas will help, but this year we are doing an engraved travel mug from Things Remembered, in addition to portraits. We haven't decided on the engraving yet, but it will be along the lines of "Mom... Grandma... Our Angel" It will have a Starbucks gift card inside. My Mom is a traveling artist, so I think a travel mug will go with her all year. We are also sending a wreath from Snowbird Wreaths, because they are beautifully made, and it won't clutter the house after the holidays.

I'm making an envelope book (organizer) for MIL. That one is an idea from Martha Stewart's site - some great handmade gift ideas there.

Thanks for commiserating. My mom has too many mugs (her words) and only drinks tea...and only one kind of tea(!). Unfortunately, she's also not into handmade gifts. I quilt and made her a lovely quilt with her favorite colors a while back. It's been shoved in the back of her linen closet for the last ten years. :glare:

Last year my big idea was to buy her three of those Da Vinci art storage frames, one per kid. Then I sent her a piece of their art once a month or so for her to change them out. I don't think she loved that, and sadly I don't know that I can even top it. I thought it was a great idea at the time. Don't know what I was thinking. Should have kept those frames for myself.

Another thing for my list... You guys are helping with ideas for me. :lol:

Note to self: develop hobbies by the time I'm a grandparent to make shopping easier, and *like* everything everyone buys.

I am going to steal the art frame idea - that's a good one!

One more idea - not great, but a thought - I struggled with this for my Dad recently, and bought him a vintage candy crate. Candies from the 40s - they have different decades at Amazon. He didn't eat it (I didn't expect him to eat it, he's not a candy man), but he got a kick out of going through the crate for the nostalgia factor. The candy was parceled out to grandkids.

Birthstone jewelry? Engraved *somethings* from a place like Red Envelope? Stepping stone with grandkids names?

Oh, the agony...

Does she like to do things?

Art museum membership?

Gift cards for lunch with friends?

Park pass for national parks?

Concert or performance tickets?

Lessons and supplies (multiple holiday gifts)? Painting, stained glass, knitting?

Does she like to eat or cook? Are there any cooking schools in your area?

Harry and David fruit a month club....or bacon club....or steak club?

Is she alone? How about paying for yard service or a handy man for an afternoon?

What about combining gifts and making a girls weekend away out of it. One holiday pays for the hotel room, one for meals, and one for entertainment. That can wipe out a year in one gift.

Take a look at Travelzoo and put in her zip code...maybe they have a good deal in her area.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

How about a donation made in her name? My parents already have everything that they could ever want or need. Instead of racking our brains all year long, we make donations to the Red Cross (my Dad has volunteered with them for years and years) and also Heifer Int'l. (their church supports that one).

Also, I am a knitter an usually give them each a scarf each year at Christmas (this will be the 1st year in about 5 yrs. that I didn't get one made). It's become a tradition that they really seem to enjoy. Also on Mother's Day I give my Mom & MIL each a small basket filled with 4-5 knitted dishcloths, a nice hand towel, and a nice soap.

Hope some of these ideas will help!

Does she like magazines? You could get her a subscription?

How about a gift card to a restaurant, bookstore, etc...

She subscribes to a zillion (roughly :tongue_smilie:) already.

She's offended by gift certificates. She feels it means I didn't put any thought into her gift. (Do you hear the sigh in my voice?)

What about Magnabilities? I bought a necklace for my mom last year. I figured she could collect the inserts if she liked it.

I like these a lot. (My personal list is getting longer!)

Note to self: develop hobbies by the time I'm a grandparent to make shopping easier, and *like* everything everyone buys.

I am going to steal the art frame idea - that's a good one!

One more idea - not great, but a thought - I struggled with this for my Dad recently, and bought him a vintage candy crate. Candies from the 40s - they have different decades at Amazon. He didn't eat it (I didn't expect him to eat it, he's not a candy man), but he got a kick out of going through the crate for the nostalgia factor. The candy was parceled out to grandkids.

Birthstone jewelry? Engraved *somethings* from a place like Red Envelope? Stepping stone with grandkids names?

Oh, the agony...

Good ideas. Thanks! And yes on developing hobbies! :lol: A few years ago, I bought her a couple of needlepoint kits because she used to enjoy them when I was a kid. She said, "Thank you, dear" in a voice that meant, "You know I don't do these anymore, right?" I'm pretty sure they're in the same closet as my quilt.

I've sent each of my six ladies of a certain age something from this page. Maybe one of them will appeal.

Yum! Thanks for sharing! I requested a catalog...for me. My mom drinks Lipton. Period. The big world of tea out there, and all she drinks is Lipton.

Crossword book subscription?

New slippers? Fancy coffee? Newspaper subscription? Heated mattress pad? Foot massager? Bird feeder/bird bath?

Is there anything she likes to do? Gift card to her favorite restaurant? National or state parks membership? DVD gift sets?

Sadly, my parents don't do anything. The crossword subscription would get used though. I might do that. The bird feeder/bath would be good for her patio. I'll ask my dad what's out there now. Thanks! Maybe a foot warmer/massager for under her desk at work...

Stepmom asked to only have donations made in her name to some specific charities.

Oh, I would kill for the ease of this! Totally jealous! :lol:

Can I just mention the irony that I hate those threads where people ask for gift ideas and then shoot them all down. I apologize to you all for seeming crotchety. :tongue_smilie:

She is seriously difficult. I know from experience on the boards that many other people are benefiting from ideas though, so keep them coming! :D

How about rich, small batch, soap subscriptions? Everybody washes, right?

OK, I'm starting to think my mom is just weird. My MIL actually makes homemade soap and when I gave my mom some years ago, she acted disgusted. She was grossed out by the idea of something that's not made in a factory. I kid you not. :001_huh: Maybe it's the era she grew up in? When she went with me to pick up our pastured chickens and beef at the farm we buy from earlier this year, she was similarly disgusted, despite the fact that she grew up on a farm and my Grandma killed and plucked chickens as a part of her normal routine. :confused:

Get it for her anyway. Tell her she can broaden her horizons and have a tea party with her grandkids.

She was just at my house over the Thanksgiving weekend. We had a tea party, per our usual routine. The kids and I chose from a variety of teas. Mom had Lipton. "I'm just set in my ways," she said when the kids encouraged her to try one of our "special teas."

OK, I'm ready to delete this thread now. I actually feel guilty for how hard my mom is to buy for. :lol:

OK, I'm ready to delete this thread now. I actually feel guilty for how hard my mom is to buy for. :lol:

Don't feel guilty--my Mom is this hard to buy for, too. I'm just getting her a Kohl's gift card again this year. She did tell me that she wished my Dad would take her to the theater, but those prices are out of my budget. And since my Dad doesn't really like the theater, it seems kind of not right to make it a family gift for the two of them.

Maybe she associates homemade things with being poor? I think my MIL used to feel that way, but she's come around a little.

Scarves? I think that's what we're getting my dh's aunt. She likes little luxury items that she feels are high end.

New robe? Pajamas? Warm socks?

Aw, don't feel that way about deleting, I'm sure plenty of people will get ideas!

Is she (or are they) close enough to make a group activity an option?

Last year, for my parents, I bought tickets for them to take my daughter to their favorite Christmas play. This year, they are getting a Keurig coffee maker as a joint gift from my family and my sister's family. This year, for my in-laws, we are all going on a day trip to Biltmore House to see the candelight Christmas tour instead of exchanging gifts between the adults (they'll still get my daughter something).

OK, I'm starting to think my mom is just weird. My MIL actually makes homemade soap and when I gave my mom some years ago, she acted disgusted. She was grossed out by the idea of something that's not made in a factory. I kid you not. :001_huh: Maybe it's the era she grew up in? When she went with me to pick up our pastured chickens and beef at the farm we buy from earlier this year, she was similarly disgusted, despite the fact that she grew up on a farm and my Grandma killed and plucked chickens as a part of her normal routine. :confused:

She was just at my house over the Thanksgiving weekend. We had a tea party, per our usual routine. The kids and I chose from a variety of teas. Mom had Lipton. "I'm just set in my ways," she said when the kids encouraged her to try one of our "special teas."

In that case how about a lovely tea cup or set?

If that doesn't work get her a sweater. :D

Don't feel guilty--my Mom is this hard to buy for, too. I'm just getting her a Kohl's gift card again this year. She did tell me that she wished my Dad would take her to the theater, but those prices are out of my budget. And since my Dad doesn't really like the theater, it seems kind of not right to make it a family gift for the two of them.

Thank you. I can commiserate about theater tickets being a problem too. One year I gave her tickets to The Nutcracker put on by the Moscow Ballet and she and my dad basically got into a fight about it because he didn't want to go. She took my sister. It was hard to have them here for the weekend, as they don't seem to have anything in common except disdain for each other's opinions.

Maybe she associates homemade things with being poor? I think my MIL used to feel that way, but she's come around a little.

Scarves? I think that's what we're getting my dh's aunt. She likes little luxury items that she feels are high end.

New robe? Pajamas? Warm socks?

Aw, don't feel that way about deleting, I'm sure plenty of people will get ideas!

Thanks for your kind words. I think you may have something with the poverty thing. Something like a scarf and glove set is a good idea.

Is she (or are they) close enough to make a group activity an option?

Last year, for my parents, I bought tickets for them to take my daughter to their favorite Christmas play. This year, they are getting a Keurig coffee maker as a joint gift from my family and my sister's family. This year, for my in-laws, we are all going on a day trip to Biltmore House to see the candelight Christmas tour instead of exchanging gifts between the adults (they'll still get my daughter something).

We're 600 miles apart. It's necessary distance. :D I think I might look for an experience for her and my sister to share, since my sister is local and doesn't have money to do fun extras.

In that case how about a lovely tea cup or set?

If that doesn't work get her a sweater. :D

Thank you. :D

If she doesn't have it already: digital picture frame already loaded with pictures. You can subscribe to a site which allows you to download content periodically so the pictures change (with no work from her).

My grandmother is like this too.

Other ideas:

specialty food item (great chocolate, pies from her favorite restaurant, gourmet popcorn flavorings, treat from her youth)

winter items (new scarf, really good gloves, jaunty hat)

massage/manicure/pedicure

card for the local movie theater

gas or grocery card (seriously, my hardest to buy for people love these)

great stationary/cards, nice pen, roll of unusual stamps

special storage bins for Christmas paper or ornaments

bulbs or paper lanterns or a cute bench for her patio

Sometimes a good gift is knowing about something that she doesn't know about yet and getting it for her.

My mother has gotten like this too, so I've started putting together my own gift baskets. I buy things I know she likes to snack on and drink, add in a new item or two, then add in items I know she'll use.

This year I'm making movie night bowls for our siblings. It has a popcorn bowl, box of popcorn, several candies, hot chocolate, marshmallows, package of napkins, and some candy canes (for stir sticks). We put in a movie that we knew they wanted (although we have one made for a friend that won't have a movie in it. I just added some extra goodies)

I don't have any ideas, but I feel for you! My MIL/FIL are this hard to buy for. But I have a present buying story that fits in here! My SILs (all in-laws, my dh has two brothers) were discussing via facebook messages what to get them and one SIL suggested a Keurig. We all thought that was a great idea, but dh saw the message and said that his dad doesn't drink coffee. I didn't realize that, so I passed that info along. They (SILs) don't care. At. All. They're getting it anyway. It's too expensive to just get it for MIL, so FIL just gets a coffee maker even though he doesn't drink coffee!!!! I'm fairly annoyed by this because I would like to actually give FIL something he MIGHT like. We're going to get him some CDs or something- but still. Anyway, at least you're trying.

I don't have any ideas' date=' but I feel for you! My MIL/FIL are this hard to buy for. But I have a present buying story that fits in here! My SILs (all in-laws, my dh has two brothers) were discussing via facebook messages what to get them and one SIL suggested a Keurig. We all thought that was a great idea, but dh saw the message and said that his dad doesn't drink coffee. I didn't realize that, so I passed that info along. They (SILs) don't care. At. All. They're getting it anyway. It's too expensive to just get it for MIL, so FIL just gets a coffee maker even though he doesn't drink coffee!!!! I'm fairly annoyed by this because I would like to actually give FIL something he MIGHT like. We're going to get him some CDs or something- but still. Anyway, at least you're trying.[/quote']

Hopefully he likes hot chocolate, apple cider, or iced tea. Then he can order some of those so he can use it too

I don't have any ideas' date=' but I feel for you! My MIL/FIL are this hard to buy for. But I have a present buying story that fits in here! My SILs (all in-laws, my dh has two brothers) were discussing via facebook messages what to get them and one SIL suggested a Keurig. We all thought that was a great idea, but dh saw the message and said that his dad doesn't drink coffee. I didn't realize that, so I passed that info along. They (SILs) don't care. At. All. They're getting it anyway. It's too expensive to just get it for MIL, so FIL just gets a coffee maker even though he doesn't drink coffee!!!! I'm fairly annoyed by this because I would like to actually give FIL something he MIGHT like. We're going to get him some CDs or something- but still. Anyway, at least you're trying.[/quote']

Thank you! I did think about buying my mom the same tea maker I have because she seemed to enjoy it when she was here but it is extremely expensive and I can't deal with the chance that she might not use it. If I'm going to get her something that ends up a waste of money, it needs to cost significantly less money. :lol:

Hopefully he likes hot chocolate, apple cider, or iced tea. Then he can order some of those so he can use it too

True. They have some great flavors, tons of great choices for tea...even herbal. My MIL has a Keurig and every year she just asks for more pods. Either that or she makes an Amazon wish list. She is so easy!