Menu

Dd9 checked her "birthday books" out of the library

DS did the same thing last year.

I took it away from him and told him that I need to read through it first just in case there was any questionable material. It set on my dresser for 3 weeks because I couldn't find the time. He was pretty upset though, because he had already read every other book in the series and I never pre-read those-and they were just about baseball. :D

DS did the same thing last year.

I took it away from him and told him that I need to read through it first just in case there was any questionable material. It set on my dresser for 3 weeks because I couldn't find the time. He was pretty upset though, because he had already read every other book in the series and I never pre-read those-and they were just about baseball. :D

:lol: Jean, maybe you need to make sure those American Girls are behaving themselves...by pre-reading. Unlikely you'll get much reading done in the pre-Christmas season...;)

In this case, at this age, unless it was her only nice gift I would suspend the surprise element and "hint hint" as a previous poster suggested. "You know, daughter, birthday is right around the corner and those are on your gift list.... you might want to wait on reading those."

Hide them. One year I got a book out of the library that was brand new. It disappeared the next day and I couldn't understand what I had done with it. My birthday was a few days later and my dh had gotten that book for me, so he took the library copy and hid it from me!

Hide them. One year I got a book out of the library that was brand new. It disappeared the next day and I couldn't understand what I had done with it. My birthday was a few days later and my dh had gotten that book for me, so he took the library copy and hid it from me!

I think I might do this one. This kid is a smart cookie and would figure out anything else. Unfortunately our house is so messy - losing something like this would not be out of the ordinary.

:iagree: I'd probably do this--and prepare an answer that wasn't a lie when asked if I had seen them...

I agree. Hide them or "accidentally" return them and worry about explaining later. LOL You could start a really fun, distracting read-aloud to keep her mind off of her lost books, too. ;) I've done this a few times! Maybe there is an American Girl book that she won't be getting or hasn't read that you could get out of the library to distract as well.

Edited by 6packofun
nnn