Menu

Holiday Music Help!

One of our family traditions is to buy a new album of Christmas/holiday music each year. Actually, I'm the one that does this, but I do so with the approval of the rest of the family. I'm having a difficult time deciding what to get this year. I'd like something unique- not the same old songs rehashed by a talentless, auto-tune pitch-corrected, pop star. And no glurge! Christmas Shoes makes me want to pull a "Thelma and Louise" and shoot the car stereo any time it comes on.:ack2:

So! Now that you know how picky I am, (dh and dd are just as bad, if not worse!) help me find something new for this year. We already have Barenaked for the Holidays (Barenaked Ladies,) All I Want for Christmas (Straight No Chaser,) What's It Gonna Be, Santa? (Chicago,) A Charlie Brown Christmas (Vince Guaraldi,) all of the Mannheim Steamroller albums, Christmas Carol (James Galway,) and a handful of others I can't remember right now.

What are some of the Hive's favorites?

Dare I ask what Christmas Shoes is and why it inspires such odium? I could Google, but I suspect your answers will be far more entertaining.

Young boy's mom is on her death bed, so he decides to go out shopping on Christmas Eve to buy her some shoes.

Dare I ask what Christmas Shoes is and why it inspires such odium? I could Google, but I suspect your answers will be far more entertaining.

It's like they took every single conceivable heartstring tug possible, added Christmas, and crammed it into one supremely sappy song that makes you feel like a horrible person if you even contemplate turning it off. Christmas, innocent kid, mom dying, no money, please mister can I buy shoes with not enough money so mommy looks nice when she meets Jesus tonight? It's so forced and extreme and just awful. IMHO.

Sufjan Stevens's Songs for Christmas is completely amazing. It blows me away every year. I'm actually in that time where I'm looking forward to it again, but trying to hold off on playing it until Friday. Stevens is an indie pop singer/songwriter who falls into what some call "baroque pop" like Andrew Bird or Belle and Sebastian. He's also a devout Christian and had always made a little mini album of Christmas music for friends for years. They all got compiled together into this box set a few years ago. Some of the songs are moving, some are traditional, some are poppy, some are original. It's a great, great album.

Great ideas so far! We actually have a couple of the suggested ones already (Groban, Trans-Siberian Orchestra.) Our library is larger than I realized, but there's always room for more!

LittleIzumi, do you know if the Mormon Tabernacle Choir has recorded the Huron Carol? That's one of my favorites, but I don't have a recording of it. It would be gorgeous done by a huge choir!

Farrarwilliams- I had never heard of Sufjan Stevens. Very cool. It's kind of folksy, and quite unique. The snip of "Lo, How a Rose..." I listened to on Amazon sounded kind of like the Grateful Dead!:D

Anyone else? :bigear:

Great ideas so far! We actually have a couple of the suggested ones already (Groban, Trans-Siberian Orchestra.) Our library is larger than I realized, but there's always room for more!

LittleIzumi, do you know if the Mormon Tabernacle Choir has recorded the Huron Carol? That's one of my favorites, but I don't have a recording of it. It would be gorgeous done by a huge choir!

Anyone else? :bigear:

I haven't seen it yet but I'm not familiar with that carol. Sorry! :001_smile:

Oh, Mormon Tabernacle Choir CDs are gorgeous, but I might be biased. :D

I agree, and I'm NOT biased!

Also, something different for Christmas might be buying a CD of the Nutcracker, or Handel's Messiah, or Bach's Christmas Oratorio. You might be surprised at how much of these you recognize, and they are glorious.

My MIL has a dance company. She uses a lot of Brian Setzer christmas music.

I like the Linda Eder one from a few years back.

hOMe for the Holidays (Christmas lounge electronic music).

Caz Christmas (Brothers Cazimero - Hawaiian music)

Big Band Christmas

Sting and Enya each put out nice albums a couple years ago. Winter music that is different from radio mush.

Avalon's album Joy

Sara Groves' album O Holy Night, which has the song Toy Packaging (one of my favorites)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I had a ton of fun looking them all up on itunes and listening to samples!:bigear: We finally decided on........

Sting! (If on a Winter's Night) Got it a couple days ago, and I love it! That's possibly the coolest arrangement of the Cherry Tree Carol ever! And I loved reading the liner notes! Thanks again, hive! And I'm saving this thread for next year's Christmas cd shopping!

for next year ;)

John Rutter....

any of the christmas ones.

this is the latest

http://www.amazon.com/Colors-Christmas-John-Rutter/dp/B005JLN9WG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322965988&sr=8-2

the cambridge singers recorded the huron carol, but i'm not sure which album it is on...

the Canadian Brass

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=canadian+brass+christmas&sprefix=Canadian+br

or any of the others....