Menu

New York City- What to do & Where to go???

I am starting to plan for a family vacation to New York City. This would be at the end of year 4 so I thought NYC would be perfect- Ellis Island, skyscrapers, MET, tenements, 9/11, etc.

I'd love input on what not to miss, what to skip, where to stay. Being centrally located and near the subway is VERY important. At the time, our kids will be 3 1/2, 6, 8 (almost 9) and 9 (almost 10). I'd like specific areas to look for or stay away from- we will probably look for a place on vrbo unless someone has some other fabulous suggestion.

Ideas I have:

-Met

-Top of the Empire State Building

-Ellis Island

-is it possible to visit tenements or a tenement museum?

-Broadway show for the 2 olders- maybe West Side Story?

-some kind of bus tour of the city highlights

-9/11 site

I'm planning a trip for next year and thus far: Met Mu Art, the Cloisters, the Nat His Mu, Ellis Island, the Brooklyn Bridge (we just read about it), Central Park (including the pond where Stuart Little sailed his boat and the statue of Balto), Chinatown, and a peek in my old haunts (I lived there for 10 years) like Henry Ward Beecher's house in Brooklyn Heights. Possibly the Triangle Shirt Factory fire location. I hope to cover that before we go.

Hint: if you want to see a real Little Italy, not what has become of the one in Manhattan that is being slowly taken over by Chinatown, try the Little Italy in the Bronx.

We went in May and did one of the bus tours. I can't remember which one but it was one where the guide got off the bus with us and back on each time. We enjoyed it! I want to say it was 3 hours or so. It included a ferry boat trip to see the Statue of Liberty.

I'd just add Central Park and Riverside to your list. We loved all the parks in NYC! I don't know when you are going but over by Seaport there was a neat Imaginarium (I think) park where you could build things. It had a spray park too.

We went to The Childrens Museum of Manhattan and I'd skip it if we had to do it over again.

I've taken my kids twice and a few of our favourite things were

Ellis Island - Depending on the time of year, the line for the ferry can be very long (I think we waited ~3 hours), but it's worth it.

Broadway - Billy Elliot and The Lion King were my kids' favourites.

Central Park - We did a bike tour of the park and loved it. You can also just rent bikes and check out the park on your own.

FAO Schwartz - They have the big keyboard that you step on from Big and lots of other fun things.

We did two "Hop on, hop off" bus tours (uptown and downtown) and really enjoyed them.

Museum of Natural History - Planetarium

Food - any nationality food - pizza is a must - look for the long lines

5th Avenue - FAO Schwartz

Bronx Zoo is worth the trip - and Little Italy is right there - Arthur Ave bread :drool5:

A Broadway musical - is Lion King still playing?

Radio City Music Hall if a musical doesn't work

The United Nations building - not sure if they still do tours post 9/11

the tenement museum is supposed to be great. They have a tour specifically for children. You need to reserve ahead of time. I did not. It was overbooked in early November. If a really ugly, cold rainy November day is overbooked, I think the any time of the year must be overbooked. Another poster put of the website. Look it over and decide if there is a tour appropriate to your age group and book it in advance.

I know it might seem like a hassle with kids, but dd and I rode the subway the whole time we were there. Partly for cost savings, but it really was a big part of our adventure. I was proud to figure it out and figure out how to determine how to change our route when track work interfered. I think it's an engineering marvel considering when it was first built.

ETA: If you are there for more than 2 days, walk into Central Park and notice how quiet it is compared to the city around it.

As for shows: Billy Elliot. The Addams Family,Mary Poppins, Spiderman (which is pretty fab with folks flying across the theater on cables and wires), Lion King. Not sure of you're interested in the Radio City Christmas show; it runs through Jan. 2. Tends to be a bit cheaper than the broadway shows.

Deleted the rest. Too many typos. I'm on my phone.

Edited by LibraryLover

We went to NYC in June and had a great time: Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty (make sure you get your tickets WAY in advance!!!), Federal Hall, Times Square, etc. Just walking the streets was a blast for us. If you're not familiar with the Jr. Park Ranger badges, check them out. They're a great way to keep the kids engaged in visiting sights, especially with ones that can be overwhelming like Ellis Island.

Have fun!

Rene

Get to the park first thing in the morning for the ferry to the Statue of Liberty or there will be a line for the boat and a line for the statue. If that doesn't work out, take a ferry ride to Staten Island and back. You'll get a good view and I think it's free or doesn't cost much.

My Dad said these "hop on, hop off" tours are good too- is there a specific company that is better or worse?

This is the one we used and enjoyed. We did the Uptown and Downtown loops several days apart, but it looks like you can get better deals if you plan ahead. I haven't checked out any other companies.

For a hotel, I'd look at ones aimed at business travelers. Avoid at all costs the ones advertised for tourists. :tongue_smilie: You can usually get great deals at the business class ones for weekend days but should still be able to get something reasonable for a week stay. Your idea of doing a rental is a good one too.

almost everything is near a subway. It might be an issue if you get far off the beaten track, but that is unlikely if you are visiting places of interest.

Plan for less than you think you will do. Stuff takes a lot of time. Something like the Bronx Zoo is the whole day. Doing more than one museum in a day might not be reasonable given the age of your children. My mantra for NYC is plan for half of what you think you can do and bring twice as much money.

I have taken the kids a few times (we live in upstate NY) and one thing I will suggest... do NOT go to the Empire state building. OMG. The wait was so freaking long. It almost killed me. It was my mom's idea and it was just bad. I mean, it was cool to get to the top and all, but not worth such a long wait. I guess there are tickets that let you skip the lines but we couldn't afford that.

We didn't have a great experience at the Cloisters. We went when the kids were young and the staff there was on us like white on rice. I have two well behaved children. One was in a carrier. We got spoken to for brushing up against the wall to make way for someone else, among other things. I guess the entire building is a 'museum' and you aren't supposed to touch a single part of it. The day we were there, they were having 'kid issues.' My older son was so stressed out by the time we left that he didn't want to go to any museum for a while. But, he did get to see the Unicorn Tapestries.

There are usually a couple New York with Kids tour books that can be worth it. I have an old one that still works. It has things like 'closest bathroom' and 'nearest kid friendly restaurant.' It has been very helpful. I am sure you can find one on Amazon.

We went this summer. I would suggest avoiding those tour buses. The lines are horrendous and the subway is a really great way to get around. Make sure to get a daily pass though to save money. I would also suggest getting a City Pass (you can get it online before you go or pick it up at an attraction), it covers the big attractions and saves you money. As for visiting the statue of liberty, make sure you get down there first thing when it opens because the lines can get horrendous as the day goes on.

I absolutely love New York City, it's an amazing place. Make sure to wear good shoes and enjoy walking around. You won't be able to see everything in one trip but there is no doubt that you will have an amazing time.

:seeya: Sorry for a long post. I haven't quite figured out how to quote multiple people in my posts, so I'll try to give credit where credit is due!!

Per your original post:

Met: The Met is FABULOUS! (And "free"--suggested donations ~$5-10 per person) However, my kids around your youngers' age cannot keep themselves entertained for longer than two hours or so there. If $$ is not an issue and you want to stop by, I suggest the Classic Fantastic and Ancient Egyptian exhibits. There is an excellent playground, The Ancient, right outside the Temple of Dendur. This is also within walking distance to The Great Lawn, which is perfect for a picnic or some games, and the Bethesda Fountain, the Boathouse, etc. The Met also has one of the cheapest lunches on the Upper East Side (in their cafeteria) with fantastic people watching. If you are looking to spend a little more afterwards, Alice's Tea Cup is in the neighborhood and incredibly fun for little girls.

Top of the Empire State Building: BLEH. It is, IMHO, one of the most overrated tourist attractions in NYC. If you are looking for the best views of the city, go to The Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Plaza. You'll be in season to ice skate there as well. :)

Ellis Island: I really enjoy Ellis Island, but it is a cold ferry trip and a long wait this season. I should also tell you my nieces and nephews around your dcs age did not seem to enjoy it very much, and it would take a chunk of your day. I would recommend it if you're taking a longer trip.

Tenements: Allie is right, the Lower East Side Tenement Museum is great with kids if this is what you're looking to see. I wouldn't put it on my "must see" list, but it really is a well run place.

Broadway Show: Yes. Definitely. Everyone who suggested Lion King. :iagree: Just whatever you do, don't make reservations for dinner in the "theater district"! There is much better food in nearby neighborhoods that won't be ghastly overpriced for a prix fixe.

Bus Tour: I wouldn't, but I'm a native. Most the "highlights" are clustered in certain areas that you could cover by: walking Times Square-Herald Square, walking Grand Army Plaza to Columbus Circle (Central Park South--FAO Swchartz-Splinter's suggestion-is right there, High Tea at the Plaza or brunch at Sarabeth's are quintessential NY experiences), exploring the Park, and walking the Financial District. Really, the best way to explore the city is to walk, walk, walk. The best things the city has to offer is not its tourist attractions, but it's many microneighborhoods, each with their own energy, that can only be experienced by immersing them. If anyone in your family has trouble walking, I can send you links to help better experience and navigate the city. One thing my kids think is terribly fun and is a definite New York Experience is riding a rickshaw around the city. If that sounds too daring for you, there are many places to rent bikes (as Splinter suggested)-- just please don't take a horse and carriage ride; they treat the horses terribly.

9/11 Site: I wouldn't. Unless you're dead set on seeing Wall Street, City Hall, the Financial District, etc. I never recommend going to see Ground Zero. It really is a crowded construction site. If you want to see the area, I'd recommend Federal Hall, where Washington was sworn in. It's a neat little museum to spend less than an hour in. If you call ahead or know someone, you can sometimes get a tour of The Federal Reserve Building or the Stock Exchange as well.

Kalamanak was right on the money with suggesting Central Park and Chinatown. Chinatown is one of the best place to get cheap food. You can get world class dim sum for $5 per person. Just check out Zagat beforehand to make sure it's good! Chinatown also has fun (though smelly) outdoor fish markets, great textile and art shops, and is near SoHo for fun, upscale shopping and antiquing and great architecture, Canal Street (with the infamous knock-off vendors), and Little Italy. In this season, I actually would suggest, if you're in the area, taking a few minutes to explore the three or four blocks that have become of Little Italy. Grab a bite at O'Nieal's (not Italian food, but best food in the area IMO). Arthur Avenue in the Bronx is the real Little Italy, but Little Italy in Manhattan is so beautiful around Christmastime. You can get fantastic pastries and hot chocolates, and I'd highly recommend it at night. It's lit up in such a way that is just magical to me. If you do leave the outer boroughs, Grimaldi's in Brooklyn is the best slice. Otherwise grab Lombardi's in Little Italy!

Everyone who suggested Museum of Natural History, definitely. I'd suggest it far and away over The Met for someone with kids. The planetarium is incredible and they do captivating shows that I've never had to wait longer than twenty minutes for. The Upper West Side has much cheaper eats, too, and amazing architecture along Central Park West.

I have to put a little plug in for my nabe: The Meatpacking District/West Village. Along 10th Avenue a few blocks up are world famous art galleries that, IMO, are much more cutting edge and exciting than visiting MoMA. They're also free! The West Village is one of the best neighborhoods to walk in: windy, off-the-grid cobblestone streets dotted with beautiful historic townhouses. Far and away the best food in the city, and there is the new High Line park, a walking park that runs along the Hudson River through downtown. The architecture is phenomenal and my kids love it. (There are moving lounge chairs!) Straddling the park is the Standard Hotel, a very kitschy European boutique hotel. It has the funkiest, neatest decor. Really. Every room, even the elevator, is a surprise. Walk in with confidence and ride the elevator to the top floor. There is a bar "for guests' only", but they won't check for a key, that opens to some of the best views of Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Hudson County NJ.

Sorry to make it so long. Let me know if you have more questions. Hope this helps!

Reading through my post I forgot to add:

Be adventurous and take the Subway! It's a true New York experience and so much cheaper than a cab.

And if you're here near Christmastime, the windows at 34th Street will be up. Walk along the street, if you don't mind the crowds, for million dollar window decorations. Many of the stores' decorations cater to kids.

• 2 weeks later...