Menu

We may get a dog - question about fences/leashes

We may be getting a dog "for Christmas". We've been trying to decide on what to do about our yard. We have 2 acres. It is fenced on 3 sides. We could fence in the 4th side, but even if it is all fenced, we have a creek that runs through the property and under the fence, so the fence is not really foolproof for keeping a dog in.

We've talked about the pros/cons of invisible fence. It seems the cons would out weigh the pros (for us). Also I'm wondering if maybe just using a really long leash and taking the dog out on walks around the yard would be the most sensible.

So dog lovers, what should we do. Long leash, invisible fence, put up the 4th side of the fence and add something to take care of any gaps, get an indoor dog, or wait until DD7 has moved out of the house and give her a dog then (just kidding).

The dog will probably be a pug mix (probably young, but may not be a puppy).

Taking a dog out on a leash, and only a leash, stinks.

We've done that for the past four years. We let her out in the yard to run around when we know no one is around (otherwise she'll want to run after them to visit which they don't always appreciate, and frankly, neither do I when I am standing there in my PJ's and bedhead) but we still have to be out there when we do that, to make sure she stays in the yard. Other than that, she has to be on a leash to go out and go potty.

That means, rain, snow, sleet, 95 degree heat, 110% humidity, just like the UPS, we are out standing there while the dog does her business. All hours of the day. 4-6 times a day,if not more.

It's often an "discussion" about who's turn it is....everyone's busy, apparently:glare:.

Now I remember the days when we had a fenced-in yard....just open the back door when she let us know, and let her go. Call her back in, in about 10 minutes or if she was at the door sooner. If it was a nice beautiful day, she could even stay out for a while and play.

If you could even fence off part of the yard, I would recommend that.

ps. Not sure what you mean by "indoor dog".....all dogs need to go outside and do their business, even if they live inside. Wouldn't your dog live inside?

Edited by Samiam

By indoor dog - I meant a little fluffy/lapdog that wouldn't want to run around much. I was just kidding about the indoor dog. We are looking at some type of pug mix.

We've thought of fencing off part of the yard, but it is not set up too well. The creek runs through the middle and there is a significant slope down to the creek. And it would ruin the view over the pond. And the area behind the house would be awkward.

Oh why can't things be easier?

Edited by OrganicAnn

Absolutely get the 4th side fenced in.

You need to keep OTHER DOGS OUT as well as your dog in. A good fence is the only way to do that.

There are options for fencing the creek. Google up some options and pick your favorite. LOL.

Fence it. For sure.

There are numerous downsides to the other options, and only up sides to the 4th side to the fence. Your dog will attract other dogs to your yard. Some nasty dog will come in and attack . . . Meanwhile, your kid will be in the yard and get in between . . . Not good, not good at all.

Batteries will fail. Dogs WILL run right through the zap when highly motivated (which are precisely the times you don't want them to run!)

Fence it.

(This is coming from a many dog household for many years in many houses, vet's wife, acreage owner, fence builder, lol)

We have a fence but it's not secure - she's a very good jumper who can also climb chain-link. Our dog is trained to walk with us without a leash. In the mornings we walk her around the garden (3 acres) for twenty minutes - she sniffs, stops, catches up and we wander with a cup of coffee. She gets a good walk off the property during the afternoon, then she gets another walk on the property in the evening. We don't leave her chained outside.

Laura

This is what we've had experience with for fencing all the dogs we've had past/present:

1. tall wooden fence - and a digger, so that didn't work so well
  2. no fence - our lab never left the yard - worked great
  3. tethered once - don't care for it - I'd rather the dog be free to run around. Yes, someone can go out and play with the dog - but the tendency is to use the tether.
  4. Now we have an eletric fence on about 3/4 of an acre - plenty of space for both dogs. The only problem was when we did bury it - moles chewed on the wire's insulation. That has to be cut and reconnected. Now it is above ground - the kids just have to pay attention when mowing!!

We prefer the electric only because we did not want to fence in our property. Yes, neighborhood dogs do come over and visit. Hasn't been a real issue.

Sounds like you could easily add one more side, take care of the creek issue and be set.

Fence the 4th side and look into options on fencing off the creek. It is not a good idea to leave a dog on a long leash or chain in the yard. Limiting their ability to wander and explore the yard like that can lead to yard aggression. It is also a safety issue if there are things the leash can get tangled or caught on.

I vote fence and train, but I'll add that I have no ownership experience with small dogs.

Being stuck to a leash is miserable for humans. ;)

At our house, we only have a chicken wire fence through the woods on 1.5 sides. We put it up to prevent the dogs from jumping into the road if there's a surprise dog walker going by. It's a pretty quiet street, usually. Otherwise, the dogs know what their boundaries are. Not well enough to let them out the door and leave them be, but to do their business, play with the kids, etc., and I can get away with just standing on the porch if I don't want to be OUT out.

A fence is fine but I would not expect to leave your dog out there alone for hours at a time.

My neighbor put up this fancy fence thinking he would just let his two dogs out (wheaton terriers). One dug her way out and was found several blocks away. He is back to walking them on the leash. I have not seen the dogs in the backyard since.

Every dog I have had (except for one) were houdini dogs and spent 100% of their time plotting their escape from the backyard.

I have a lovely fenced backyard (I had it done when my kids were little). Our dog is 100% leash walked. If she wants to run free she goes to puppy daycare.

I take our dogs out off leash and they stay with me and in our yard. I would vote for fencing the fourth side but always go out with the dog especially at first. A pug is relatively small and even with the creek fenced a predator could still attack him. I go out with my dogs because we have seen large birds of prey in and over our yard.

Another thought, I do not have personal experience with pugs but it is my understanding that the very short-nosed breeds like pugs and some types of bulldogs are more vulnerable to drowning than most dogs so you will definitely want to train him to stay away from the water or anywhere that he might fall in.