Menu

What skill do you think following complicated Lego directions develops?

For the parent: sheer and utter frustration and unconditional love. :lol::lol:

I helped ds put together a few large sets before he could follow the directions on his own. I made him give me a backrub while I helped. :D

For the child: attention to detail, patience, perseverance, importance of following all directions, how one error can mess up a process further down the line. It's probably good practice for doing taxes. :tongue_smilie:

As a Lego Educator, I can say that Lego specifically designs things to foster the concept of "systems" - the building of various models, from directions, is bridging two systems - systems of science/math and systems of creativity/art.

The instruction based sets are designed to set up practice in being creative, to allow a child to "see" what is possible and how to make that happen by following the directions; then, truly, the lego kit is supposed to be undone and the child then left with their own imagination, to build more, based on their practice and new-found knowledge of what is possible with the bricks!

Overall, the goal is to foster creativity, curiosity, mental readiness, confidence, positive framing and commitment to a goal.....the systematic creativity is about logic and reasoning, paired with creativity and imagination....so the kits/sets are designed to set-up a systematic ability for learning to iterate, learning to give form to imagination and mastering a tool to think with are all essential skills of being creative as a deliberate practice model.

then, truly, the lego kit is supposed to be undone and the child then left with their own imagination, to build more, based on their practice and new-found knowledge of what is possible with the bricks!

We always have kept our kits together LOL. My sons like to rebuild them. Also, I'm thinking we'll resell them down the line :lol:

We always have kept our kits together LOL. My sons like to rebuild them. Also, I'm thinking we'll resell them down the line :lol:

If you keep the box and directions set aside, the front of each book lists all the bricks contained in a kit, so you just have to gather them up and identify any lost bricks - lego does sell every single brick type online, so a couple of missing bricks isn't really expensive to replace (usually 0.10-0.50 a brick). Honestly, the high value of lego, IMO, is in the free play building after the structured building with the directions!

If you keep the box and directions set aside, the front of each book lists all the bricks contained in a kit, so you just have to gather them up and identify any lost bricks - lego does sell every single brick type online, so a couple of missing bricks isn't really expensive to replace (usually 0.10-0.50 a brick). Honestly, the high value of lego, IMO, is in the free play building after the structured building with the directions!

:iagree:This is where I really see the logic come into play. When they come up with something in their minds and figure out how to put it together with no instructions. The majority of our Lego play here is just whatever they've dreamed up - no instructions. They usually only use those when they receive a new kit and put it together the first time.

As a Lego Educator, I can say that Lego specifically designs things to foster the concept of "systems" - the building of various models, from directions, is bridging two systems - systems of science/math and systems of creativity/art.

The instruction based sets are designed to set up practice in being creative, to allow a child to "see" what is possible and how to make that happen by following the directions; then, truly, the lego kit is supposed to be undone and the child then left with their own imagination, to build more, based on their practice and new-found knowledge of what is possible with the bricks!

Overall, the goal is to foster creativity, curiosity, mental readiness, confidence, positive framing and commitment to a goal.....the systematic creativity is about logic and reasoning, paired with creativity and imagination....so the kits/sets are designed to set-up a systematic ability for learning to iterate, learning to give form to imagination and mastering a tool to think with are all essential skills of being creative as a deliberate practice model.

LOVE it! This is exactly what ds does with Legos, and now I feel completely justified in allowing him to pursue this passion! (Ds just had a birthday so we had Lord Garmedon's Dark Fortress and Big Bentley going here this morning.)

Edited by FairProspects

For the parent: sheer and utter frustration and unconditional love. :lol::lol:

For the child: attention to detail, patience, perseverance, importance of following all directions, how one error can mess up a process further down the line. It's probably good practice for doing taxes. :tongue_smilie:

Motor planning; attention; creativity.

all of these things