Menu

working on the weekend

Do you make your children finish work they should have gotten done for the week on the weekend? What age do you think this should start?

Asking about dd10 (5th grade) not younger.

I'm not even making her do EVERYTHING she didn't get done, only what would be too hard to catch-up on.

This is 100% attitude related - the work is not too hard or too much for her

I did, starting in 5th grade.

But, at the beginning of the week (and each day) my dss knew how much work he had to get done each day and for the week. What didn't get done would be completed each night or on the week-end, depending on what it was.

It only took a couple of week-end homework days before he buckled down and started completing his work.

My 5th grader has had to do this a couple times this year, and I can see it will probably happen more going forward. I make her do it on Saturday, because I try to keep Sunday as a day of rest/worship.

If it were purely related to attitude (it hasn't been, for us - yet), I would make her stay home from her beloved extracurriculars during the week to get it done. (If you don't finish your math on Monday (because you've got a bad attitude, being lazy, etc.), you don't go to dance class, you stay home and finish your math, etc.) Hopefully, by the time we got to the weekend, the work would be done and the attitude would be better - but I haven't had to do this yet, so I don't know how it would work.

I do and my kids are only in 2nd grade.

But we'll often take a day midweek. And our lives are weird. We don't have a traditional weekend in our house anyway, so there's no sense that this is a punishment. My kids probably don't even really understand that schooled kids have Saturday and Sunday off. This year we instituted a system where tasks are on the board and get taken off as they get finished. I direct this to some extent, but some of it is up to them. They usually would prefer to work through and space it out. Yesterday, on Saturday morning, they totally could have finished their work easily, but even though they only did school for about an hour, they opted not to and said they wanted to finish before church this morning. So they did.

My dd12 has some work that is due first thing Monday morning because she didn't finish it last week. When she was younger, I didn't give her as much freedom with when to do assignments so if it wasn't done on a given day, she had to finish it that evening missing whatever was going on that evening. I'm trying to let her be more in control of her schedule now. Some weeks it works, others it doesn't. Next week, as a result of not getting her work done last week, she'll have to check in with me to show her work each evening instead of waiting until Friday.

Absolutely. Especially for older children (my 4th grade daughter has an on-line class, and she has homework for that anyhow).

Unfortunately, all of the children will be schooling on the weekends from December-August just to make up work we weren't able to get to because of the house & moving.

Yes. We started this about 4th grade. When the school work doesn't get done during the week Saturday becomes a school day with all the same restrictions. To keep this from happening I make Ds a list of daily work. Only I can decide if something gets moved to another day. So sometimes he will work into the evening because he's fiddle farted around during the day. If he works diligently he will be done well before 3pm when he is allowed screen time only if his school work is done. If, for some reason, he gets behind and I don't know it Saturday is a school day.

We had a really rough patch when he was younger. It seemed that he just could not focus. We were consistent and we made it through.

:grouphug:

Yes. We started this year (6th) with a new policy (and I think she could have handled it last year). I lay out the week's assignments for her. In the mornings, we go over any instruction needed for the day's assignments, any tests, etc. The remainder is homework to be done during the rest of the day. In some subjects (particularly literature), she may have assignments that are to be done by the end of the week. If she doesn't finish all the assignments by Friday evening, then there's weekend homework. My goal is to help her learn time management, which she won't do if she doesn't end up with consequences for procrastinating or not prioritizing correctly.

Yes, my ds15 works on the weekend to finish work not completed during the week. Neither of us are happy about it but I just can't let him fall behind because he is in high school. This weekend we were working on a Biology research paper, and it will still take several days before it's done. Ugh.

At our house, work on weekends to make up for procrastination, to do homework from Friday or prepare for things like a test on Monday is not a "we" thing, it is a "her" thing so that the aggravation of having to work during what is usually free time is her problem, not mine. I believe it's the only way she will learn to take responsibility for her own time management. That's why I do the "together" portion of teaching the lessons in the mornings on regular school days and then assign the independent work as homework. She is welcome to bring her work with her in the car if we have planned to go somewhere, etc. I typically don't interrupt our planned schedule for her to make up work that should have been done earlier, but I do take the activity level of the day somewhat into account when scheduling independent work. I will say that I had to re-evaluate a bit after the first two weeks of our plan to redistribute the workload to account for our schedule. She also fell flat on her face in the first test this year because she didn't study. Things are going much more smoothly now.

Saturday and Sunday are not school days for me as teacher, unless there's been some unusual crisis which means we skipped several days of school that week and I've decided we need to do a regular school day (including assigning homework) on Saturday. That would be a totally different issue.

I started the weekend work in the middle years. I think my dd was slightly older than yours but I'm not sure exactly. As I see it, kids who go to traditional schools have homework on the weekends so it's "normal" to expect that of my kids, especially since we're out of the house weekly for co-op. When we started with the weekend homework, I did try hard to keep the work to less than an hour. Over time it built. At his stage, my high school freshman does 3-4 hours of work on the weekends, both for me and for two of her co-op classes.

I make a spreadsheet for each of the kids for the week. It has the days across the top and subjects down the side. All of the work for the week is on it. She gets behind at the beginning of the week and then is frustrated the rest of the week with trying to get caught up.

The problem is we all live in the same house and she throws full blown fits about having to work on the weekend. It actually works fairly well for her dad to take to the library to do it, but then the other two, who DID their work miss out on time with Daddy.

I'm hoping to have a really good week of school so that she can see the difference (on week 9).

Yes, I usually have them catch up on missed work on the weekend, especially if it's attitude-related (if it's due to conflicts in scheduling that come up, I'll just put it off). My six year old did schoolwork on Saturday morning because of her attitude issues during the week. It wasn't due to any schedule issues, purely because I wanted to make a point and also show her that she's not immune to the rules that her siblings must follow.

Do you make your children finish work they should have gotten done for the week on the weekend? What age do you think this should start?

Asking about dd10 (5th grade) not younger.

I'm not even making her do EVERYTHING she didn't get done, only what would be too hard to catch-up on.

This is 100% attitude related - the work is not too hard or too much for her

Yes, I would by that age given the factors you have described here. Working later into evening would also be an option.